Cold Air intake question...

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

RFBurn
I'm a n000b

Cold Air intake question...

Post by RFBurn »

Looking for recommendations on cold air intake, I have been looking at the K&N, AEM, or aFe..

I am planning on going to stage two by replacing the intake, down tube, and maybe exhaust at the same time, not sure if that makes a difference in the choice of intake.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
Stu English
2011 WRX Hatch stock
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Cold Air intake question...

Post by PGT »

the stock airbox is not a restriction until over 400whp. That said, an AEM, TiC boost solenoid and tune did improve my STI with the other stuff done (headers, DP, exhaust).

if you don't plan on getting a custom tune, don't bother.

2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
RFBurn
I'm a n000b

Post by RFBurn »

I had planned on getting the AEM but then saw the aFe, was wondering if anyone had good or bad experiences with those?
Stu English
2011 WRX Hatch stock
FreddyG
Bicycle

Post by FreddyG »

the aem is awesome, be advised though youll hear the stock bpv its decently loud. I personally like the sound. But on my 2011 the aem intake amazing 3 of the guys with 2011 wrxs on here have it and love it. I recommend any intake upgrade you get a tune though. Two of those 2011s i mentioned (including myself) got a map from torqued performance. 85$ is what eric charges for the tune and I would be able to flash it over for you for free! :) http://torquedperformance.com/ He can give you a tune via opensource or for an accessport. I went opensource which puts the tune on your car via laptop. If you plan on getting a downpipe too then just get it all at once, install and buy the stage 2 map from torqued performance still only 85$.
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop
RFBurn
I'm a n000b

Post by RFBurn »

Thanks for the advice, think I will go with the AEM then. First because it seems to be a known piece of equipment, and second since I will be asking for help to install it, seems better to not re-invent the wheel. I also purchased the Tactrix plug, and downloaded the ecu flash software. I figured it was better to learn how to fish rather than ask for fish. Do I still need to purchase maps with that software or can everything be done through the ecuflash?

Thanks again for the help and advice
Stu English
2011 WRX Hatch stock
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

pro tip (assuming the WRX is the same as the STI); don't remove the bumper. Pop off the right front wheel to access to the fender liner where the resonator lives. the bumper corners like to chip the paint for some reason and the fender is a LOT quicker.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

PGT wrote:pro tip (assuming the WRX is the same as the STI); don't remove the bumper. Pop off the right front wheel to access to the fender liner where the resonator lives. the bumper corners like to chip the paint for some reason and the fender is a LOT quicker.
Believe it or not, they are doing away with them! The 2011 WRX I helped do the install of the AEM on a couple of weeks ago had no resonator!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

well, that makes it easier for sure! you still need to get in there and put the filter on the pipe though. unless, it's now open enough? It's been 2.5yrs since I did mine...can't remember for sure
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Yep, basically you take the air box out which draws air directly from the wheel well, and then put the AEM down that hole. Makes it a lot easier :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ResidentR
I'm a n000b

Post by ResidentR »

I did mine in about 30 minutes by myself, was really fast, and in my 2011 there was no resonator to worry about either.

I did a downpipe at about the same time with the torqued perfomance stage II + AEM map, and it's a whole new car. The intake is very loud though, it sounds awesome and I think greatly improves my driving experience, but some people do get tired of it after a while. There's a very distinct whoooshing sound as the turbo spools, and the stock BPV is as loud as many BOVs. Actually louder than the stock catback is.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Maybe the noise on mine is normal then! Been awhile since I had my 2005 STI w/ an Injen CAI so I forget the sound. I don't know how the stock is so quiet w/o a resonator, that big old airbox must be doing both jobs!
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited