Traction Control?

Grinding, replacing, filling and more in here

Moderator: Moderators

06STIffy
Unicycle

Traction Control?

Post by 06STIffy »

So I got on the throttle the other day and heard/felt a noise. When I shifted from first to second, came off the clutch and punched the throttle again, I felt a clunk from the front driver side wheel. The car seemed to lose power for a second and then continued as if nothing happened. I did see the traction control light light up.

So I am guessing that there is nothing wrong with the car. That this is just the traction control kicking in. This is an '08 STI. What do you guys think? I remember the '06 having a little clunk in the rear, which I heard was normal for hard shifts. But I never lost power for a sec. Then again, it didn't have TC that I remember.

I am wondering if I turn it off, would that hurt the car? I was told on other vehicles to never turn it off, unless it was necessary. Damn I have to read the manual. whos got the peanuts and cardboard german gerbil hats?
Stickin Feathers in your Butt does not make you a chicken!

Dale

08 WRB STI
with SRI and lovin it
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Traction Control?

Post by complacent »

I've haven't driven a new STI yet... I'd be more than happy to offer my "observation services" to ya though. 8)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I'm guessing it was just the traction control turning on. There shouldn't really be a problem with turning it off either. I'd check the manual just to make sure though.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

On Subaru's the traction control is implemented as computer controlled braking, right? So probably what happened was the car detected a condition and the clunk you heard was the brake locking up on just that corner, with corresponding suspension motion.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
06STIffy
Unicycle

Post by 06STIffy »

complacent wrote:I've haven't driven a new STI yet... I'd be more than happy to offer my "observation services" to ya though. 8)
Id let you take it for a spin. Just gotta love her like I do though
Stickin Feathers in your Butt does not make you a chicken!

Dale

08 WRB STI
with SRI and lovin it
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

06STIffy wrote:
complacent wrote:I've haven't driven a new STI yet... I'd be more than happy to offer my "observation services" to ya though. 8)
Id let you take it for a spin. Just gotta love her like I do though
thanks! you're a good man charlie brown :cheers: :nana:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz