Rear Differential Install?? Help

Grinding, replacing, filling and more in here

Moderator: Moderators

02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Rear Differential Install?? Help

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Hey everybody, took my car to the shop a couple days ago just to get a tune up, drove off the lot, almost got hit by an old women so i slammed on my brakes and what do ya know? Yet another problem, my differential failed. so i had to occassionally drag my rear wheel for a second or two to limp the car home! It is now sitting at my house and i have a differential coming in this weekend, hopefully saturday! So i am wondering if anybody would have any time at all to possibly help install this thing! I know the owner of the shop around the corner, crazy guy, and he has a lift and a huge pile of tools to use, i just need to know exactly how to replace it without messing anything up, any help would be great!!
2004 335 AWHP WRB WRX Stage 4
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Rear Differential Install?? Help

Post by zaxrex »

Wow, that bites. Sorry it failed on you, but glad you didn't get in an accident.

It is a straight forward affair, except for getting the axles and circlips out of the diff. Our office looses the ability to connect to G-mail or Yahoo mail in the afternoon, otherwise I would look up your e-mail and send you the shop manual for the rear diff. Here is the most important part, I think;
ImageImage

Other than that, and the oil seals (don't damage them), you have to unbolt shields, covers, and the parking brake line. They say you should use new circlips when you put the axles back in, but unless yours were damaged from the damage, they should be OK.

PM me your e-mail and I'll send out the other sections.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Rear Differential Install?? Help

Post by Sabre »

That sucks! I've never done a diff, but I presume it would just be tedious, not difficult. Make sure to have a torque wrench!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.