ixizSclutch clutch pedal travel stop/limiter

Grinding, replacing, filling and more in here

Moderator: Moderators

chuck92ex
I'm a n000b

ixizSclutch clutch pedal travel stop/limiter

Post by chuck92ex »

I'm sure some folks here have at least heard about the D-Wolf clutch kit that shortens the clutch travel on the WRX. Here's a thread on NASIOC about it: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... %2C+clutch. Basically, there's excess clutch travel past the engagement/disengagement point that requires unnecessary/wasted force to be applied due to a pretty strong over travel spring.

Those of us at http://www.saab92x.com are very fortunate to have a member, goixiz, who has developed and produced various products for our cars. His website is ixizconcept http://www.ixizconcept.com/index.html. His newest product is the ixizsclutch http://www.ixizconcept.com/ixizsclutch/ ... tch_pd.htm, which does the same thing as the D-Wolf clutch kit but for less $$$. The ixizsclutch is an incredibly simple and elegant design/product and IMHO better than the D-Wolf clutch kit.

I was one of the first to buy the ixizsclutch and installed mine today. According to the ixizstructions: installs in less than 5 minutes with basic tools and no drilling or riveting. In other words, even a numnutz like me could do it. According to goixiz, the time to beat for installation is 1 minute 22 seconds. I didn't time myself, but it shouldn't take anyone much more than 2 mintues. Installing the ixizsclutch really is a piece of cake and here's a link to a video to prove it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG4qp6dnohY.

Part of what makes the ixizsclutch better than the D-Wolf clutch kit is how goixiz deals with the starter interlock switch. The D-Wolf clutch kit has instructions for how to adjust the switch so it works with the shorter clutch travel. goixiz also provides adjustment instructions, but goes one better by also including the ixizstart product to solve the interlock problem without having to make any adjustments (although depending on how much you shorten the clutch pedal travel, even with ixizstart you may still have to adjust the interlock switch). At least for the moment, ixizstart is something of a "trade secret" developed by goixiz so I'm not going to give away how it works. Just suffice to say that it works and, like the ixizsclutch, is a simple and elegant solution.

For $28 (compared to $55 for the D-Wolf clutch kit) here's what you get:
- main bolt
- lock nut (w/ lock washer)
- 3 x 1mm spacers (stainless)
- 6mm Hex Spacer (anodized aluminum)
- 12mm Hex Spacer (anodized aluminum)
- bumper cap
- ixizstart

I initially tried the 12mm spacer for the ixizsclutch. But I could not get the car to start using it in conjunction with the ixizstart. Since I did not want to have to adjust the starter interlock switch, I undid the 12mm spacer and tried the 6mm spacer with three 1mm washers (an extra 5 minutes worth of work). Voila! Car started up with ixizstart. Clutch engaged and disengaged properly with enough additional travel past the engagement/disengagement point. Gears shifted properly. NOTE: Because I couldn't get the car started with the 12mm spacer, I can't vouch for whether it would allow for enough travel to properly engage/disengage the clutch. Every car is different so there is some trial-and-error aspect to the ixizsclutch. I can only report that it worked for me using the 6mm spacer plus the three 1mm washers, i.e., 9mm total.

The bumper cap is optional. I decided to install it because I didn't like the "hard" feel (or the "clunk" sound) when the clutch was fully depressed. With the bumper cap, the feel is pretty much the same as stock -- but the travel distance is noticeably shorter. Overall result is less effort and marginally faster shifts. For a daily driver, ixizsclutch would definitely make a difference in stop-and-go traffic. So not just a performance mod, but also a comfort mod.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: ixizSclutch clutch pedal travel stop/limiter

Post by Sabre »

Interesting mod! Would you mind if I tried it out at the next meet you make?
I'd love to feel the difference!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

I wound up installing this last Thursday and engaging the clutch feels amazing. It makes me happy to shift. It took me about 30 minutes to install/test. I started off with the 12mm spacer and worked my way down to the 6mm + 1mm spacer before my car finally started. I then put the bumper cap on, but there was a lot of extra slack. So, I trimmed off some of the rubber and took it out for a drive. The clutch engages after about a half an inch of travel. I'm super happy with the results.
My Name is Adam.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

HappyIdiot wrote:I wound up installing this last Thursday and engaging the clutch feels amazing. It makes me happy to shift. It took me about 30 minutes to install/test. I started off with the 12mm spacer and worked my way down to the 6mm + 1mm spacer before my car finally started. I then put the bumper cap on, but there was a lot of extra slack. So, I trimmed off some of the rubber and took it out for a drive. The clutch engages after about a half an inch of travel. I'm super happy with the results.
I definitely have to try this out next time you're at a meet. I've been interested in this for a while.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

complacent wrote:I definitely have to try this out next time you're at a meet. I've been interested in this for a while.
Yep, I've been wanting to try this as well. We'll have to have a group clutch orgy.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

It got weird, didn't it?

But yeah, if this this works as advertised I'd definitely like to get one. If not, then it'll make a good Father's Day gift. :)

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

complacent wrote:
I definitely have to try this out next time you're at a meet. I've been interested in this for a while.
Absolutely. I'll try to make it out to the next HT meet that isn't on a Monday. On a side note, I did not install the ixizstart or reposition the switch either and was able to get it to start with the 7mm of spacing.
My Name is Adam.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

This plus a tranny mount exchange would make a world of difference on a stock car.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

nice. i have to try this too, adam.
-Ben