clutch is done.

Grinding, replacing, filling and more in here

Moderator: Moderators

thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

clutch is done.

Post by thermobox »

the leggy put up the good fight. but now the clutch needs replaced. any body have any suggestions for a good shop to do the install? i just don't have the time, patience, or space to do it myself right now.
i ordered the clutch/flywheel. so i'll hopefully see them next week.
i know ptuning is a sponsor. any thoughts? andrew,myles,dan etc.?
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I'd say rock any of the names mentioned.

I would think it would be more of a question of scheduling and location rather than which shop. They all have good reps behind them.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

complacent wrote:I would think it would be more of a question of scheduling and location rather than which shop. They all have good reps behind them.
:plusone: Really comes down to those two things really.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

cool. thanx guys.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Honestly, I would call around to a number of shops.
Clutch and flywheel installs are not terribly difficult (at least not in my limited experience) so there is no reason a local (read convenient) garage with the right tools and experience couldn't do a fine job.

I'm all about supporting our sponsors, but if your thinking of price and availability, I say shop around.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote:Honestly, I would call around to a number of shops.
Clutch and flywheel installs are not terribly difficult (at least not in my limited experience) so there is no reason a local (read convenient) garage with the right tools and experience couldn't do a fine job.

I'm all about supporting our sponsors, but if your thinking of price and availability, I say shop around.
That's a very good point.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I had a CV boot get a hole and took it to Springfield Car Care to get a quote on just the labor, as I have many replacement axles to choose from.

The guy behind the desk said $80 is what the labor was, and for $120 more he would source the axle.

I couldn't believe it and thought we had a failure to communicate.

I decided to let him have a go at it. Sure enough, I picked it up, paid the good man $200 and jacked it up as soon as I got home.

New axle, spring clips, and retaining pins.

And he did it all w/o having to dropp the trans like all the other shops were quoting they would have to do..

Might give them a call.

Darin & Family have taken many cars there before.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

I'd recommend Andrew Tech having been to both that and PTuning. Just a personal preference.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Phibs wrote:I'd recommend Andrew Tech having been to both that and PTuning. Just a personal preference.
Yeah, if money and transportation/location were no object, I would do the same.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

more good info. thanx guys.
saint_foo
I'm a n000b

Post by saint_foo »

Shameless plug for Andrewtech (I volunteer my free days there)...

Although you probably could get a local shop to do it for a cheaper labor rate, the guys at Andrewtech knockout clutch installs on a regular basis.

Currently, Dan's recommending the ACT clutches. Not feeling the Exedy due to too many shudder complaints. I've got a Stage 1 Exedy and Exedy lightened flywheel, which initially I didn't like. It's pretty good, no complaints. The ACT does cost more...but I've never heard complaints about their quality.

Anyhoo, if you need an appointment w/ Andrewtech: 240-683-1000

good luck!

-Ed