My clutch, my clutch

Grinding, replacing, filling and more in here

Moderator: Moderators

snaab
DCAWD Groupie

My clutch, my clutch

Post by snaab »

I'm not sure how, but I seem to have burned through a clutch in about 12,000 miles. The car has been acting up (for reasons that I know). I have been avoiding dealing with them because I haven't looked for a garage here yet.

Last night, I was out for a pleasant drive, and noticed that the clutch was not holding completely. Like I said, it was replaced about 12,000 miles ago when I got the car. The problem is, I genuinely don't feel that I've been abusing it, but maybe I underestimated the sensitivity of it. All I can say in my defense is that I never stomp on the gas until after having completely a smooth shift. And I always allow the tranny plenty of time, since it so badly needs a flush.

I suppose, more than anything else, I'm just thinking out loud, since I know what needs to be done. I start school on Monday and I'm going to hunt down the few Subaru guys and see where they take there cars.

On a positive note, I finally bought a camera, and I am going to make a photo journal of "My Houston" after school this week.

8)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

any chance you could use school facilities in the evening? I've never done a clutch, but I know more than a few guys who have without access to a full garage. :wink:
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

The last time I drove stick before purchasing my STI was 1995. My clutch is still the one from the factory, 19,000 miles later. If anyone would have destroyed a clutch by now it'd be me. Seems like something else is wrong and caused the problem.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I'll trade your Aquamist pieces for a STi Ver6 clutch. 30% more torque capacity.

On the replacement note, there are people who have left the trans in-place and removed the radiator, unbolted the engine mounts, and replaced it from the top.

That may be an option if you do not have access to lifts & tranny jacks...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Ok... minor update on this.

First, I realized it was NOT the clutch. I turned off my stereo for once and listened. It was just major cylinder misfire. I took care of that situation.

Unfortunately, I lost my wallet this morning, so now I am down two debit cards, a credit card, a license, and my social security card that I was carrying because I need it to transfer my license to Texas.

The worst part? It was "lost" at school... during class... I'm not pointing fingers, but UGH.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

snaab wrote:
The worst part? It was "lost" at school... during class... I'm not pointing fingers, but UGH.
Can't buy class in TX, eh? That sucks man. Glad to hear the car is o-b-k-b now :)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

1 step up, 1 step back.. :? gotta look at the bright side: at least the car is OK now.