Grinding from 4->5 in the STI

Grinding, replacing, filling and more in here

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Grinding from 4->5 in the STI

Post by Sabre »

Hey all,
Well, many people have reported this, so I thought I would post my free fix: Move your seat up. As stupid as this sounds, I have not heard a grind since I moved closer.

BTW, first post in this forum, w00t :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Andrewtech
I'm a n000b

Post by Andrewtech »

Man you beat me! I was going to post a bunch of pics of tranny upgrades for the first post. Oh well. I'll still post some when I get organized.
Andrew@Hillmuth
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Andrewtech wrote:Man you beat me! I was going to post a bunch of pics of tranny upgrades for the first post. Oh well. I'll still post some when I get organized.
Andrew@Hillmuth
:lol:

What kind of tranny upgrades and on what? Something I *wish* someone would release is a 5th gear that is closer to 4th and a higher 6th for better MPG on the STI. Check out this post for info on Kingpin who did the JDM swap :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Jmj1112
I'm a n000b

LOL

Post by Jmj1112 »

Think I could be the Andrew@Hillmuth poster guy for the gears....... :lol:
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

If he has something for the FXT AT tranny I'll get excited. :) I don't like doing 80 and watching the tach do 3.2k
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

yeah i did the same thing in the evo, i think it is your throw with the seat back, also my track time dropped a good .5 when i moved the seat up...
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

What? The gangsta lean doesn't promote gear friendly shifting? :lol:

I've always pushed the clutch pedal to the floor when I get behind the wheel of a manual. Just force of habit. Grew up on a 92 Legacy wagon that pretty much required it if you wanted to get the gears correctly.

As for the 4EAT, your only options are a higher stall torque converter and upgraded valvetrain. The valvetrain would probably help things, as it provides a firmer shift between gears. However, it increases heat in the tranny, so an extra cooler is advised.

Well, I'd advise a second cooler with a oilstat in line just to help protect things, and a temperature gauge to help keep tabs on things. But that is just me.

AJ
Cage: '98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, caged Uncaged: '05 Suzuki SV650S
'03 Forester XS, Team Grocery Getter
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Well, I'd advise a second cooler with a oilstat in line just to help protect things, and a temperature gauge to help keep tabs on things. But that is just me.
Agreed. Plus, it's an easy installation, and relatively cheap.