Shifting problems

Grinding, replacing, filling and more in here

Moderator: Moderators

VietGuy
I walk to work

Shifting problems

Post by VietGuy »

A couple of months ago, I changed out the front and rear shifter bushings, tranny mount, and cross member mounts on my 08 STI. Everything felt good, shifts were tight.

I recently had my car valet parked (had no choice). As soon as I got into my car and started shifting it felt different. It was no longer tight and crisp, and it became more difficult to shift smoothly. Going into different gears sometimes felt like I was hitting a metal bar or something.

Do you guys have any idea what it could be?

Thanks Terence
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Shifting problems

Post by Sabre »

First things I would check:
1.) The bolt that goes through the shifter as a pivot point sometimes comes loose and it makes the whole thing seem a little less notchy. It should be tight enough to hold everything in place, but loose enough that it does not bind. I usually use a little lock-tight on it.

2.) Check the basket at the bottom of the shifter (it's what the ball goes into). The guy could have cracked it. If not, lub it up and put it back. There should be a washer/rubber band that goes around it.

3.) Check the bolts on the three holed bushing at the back of the shifter (you can get to it from under the car).

4.) While you're under there, check out the rest of the linkage :)

Hopefully that fixes it. It's probably because of some extra play somewhere in the linkage... at least I hope so!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

julian nailed it all.

i had a shifter assembly come loose on me in my 05 sti... it'll cause all kinds of ruckus. take a look under the boot. and buena suerte.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
VietGuy
I walk to work

Post by VietGuy »

Thanks guys