1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 (Street Build)

Building up your car? Post up your build!

Moderator: Moderators

prorallycodriver
Tricycle

Re: 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 (Street Build)

Post by prorallycodriver »

Nice specs.

Still have any of the AC parts? Customer's car in shop needs a high pressure line.
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

I do, but I want to hold on to the parts if I ever choose to convert back to AC (those parts are super hard to source) which is a strong possibility once I start building my other car up. Sorry.
Chad
91 Galant VR-4 (989/2000) (Project Track Car)
92 Galant VR-4 (141/1000) (Project Street Car)
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
prorallycodriver
Tricycle

No worries. Was able to repair what we had.
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Engine back together and ready to be dropped in soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

she's a beaut man. looks verrrah nice.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote:she's a beaut man. looks verrrah nice.
Couldn't have said it any better.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I have to say I'm a bit surprised that you hade the engine rebuilt w/o head work or cams.
The 264/272 set-up with head work (DPR stg 4: port, polish, butterfly, larger valves and inlets) I had done made a big difference on my GVR4.
That is still a beautiful build brother!
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Yeah...could've definitely went more all out with it...but I'm aiming to keep it more of a mild build. That being said...I'm expecting this thing to still haul a bit o' ass. :D
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

...plus "mild" is in reference to how much money I'm throwing at this project right now. If that wasn't an issue (I'd be driving a GTR :D ) 264/272 cams would be in there for sure. In due time they'll find their way into the car I'm sure.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
prorallycodriver
Tricycle

I have 272/272. Ever since, idle is lumpy like a cammy musclecar and tuning nor different idle control solenoids have helped. I don't mind much except most everyone beside you at traffic lights thinks you want to race or are purposely reving car w/ throttle pedal showing off.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Just curious, how much advance, what speed, and what AFR's are you idling at? I run 274/278 and have a rock sold 800rpm idle with 14.5-7 and 18 degree's.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Yeah I've heard the 272/272 pairing causes that in the 4G63 due to the longer duration. I'll be running a 264/272 combo when the time (availability of funds) is right. Since I plan to stay EVO 3 16G, this combo has been proven very successful. Also Julian...we don't care about the godzilla sized cams in your Dakar Rally/Pro-Drag/Nascar spec engine :jerkit: .
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

It should be poined out that Julian's ECU has much more adjustability.
While the slew of magic boxes in the GVR4 certainly help, none offer the kind of control that the Hydra has.

I remember custom mapping my HKS PFC F-Con Pro with their prototype controler. It required full throttle runs in all gears with a series of gauges and inputs. It would give a series of coded instructions and a LED bar that followed the RPMs as until it eventually gave a green light on each gear. I never had enough road (or guts) to map 5th gear.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

GVR-4Chad wrote:Also Julian...we don't care about the godzilla sized cams in your Dakar Rally/Pro-Drag/Nascar spec engine :jerkit: .
:lol:
drwrx wrote:It should be poined out that Julian's ECU has much more adjustability.
While the slew of magic boxes in the GVR4 certainly help, none offer the kind of control that the Hydra has.

I remember custom mapping my HKS PFC F-Con Pro with their prototype controler. It required full throttle runs in all gears with a series of gauges and inputs. It would give a series of coded instructions and a LED bar that followed the RPMs as until it eventually gave a green light on each gear. I never had enough road (or guts) to map 5th gear.
You all have to be able to control the basics though, right? CAM phase angle, timing, and AFR's at least? I meant to also put up that I have AVCS (CAM) turned off while not under boost.

Darrin: That sounds like fun/scary as hell. So it automatically adjusted the CAM angle for you after a couple of runs? Based on what?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote: I never had enough road (or guts) to map 5th gear.
i'd be lying if i didn't say i was way short on huevos for that task. :shock:
GVR-4Chad wrote:Also Julian...we don't care about the godzilla sized cams in your Dakar Rally/Pro-Drag/Nascar spec engine :jerkit: .
:rolllaugh:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:Darrin: That sounds like fun/scary as hell. So it automatically adjusted the CAM angle for you after a couple of runs? Based on what?
Before I got the PFC F-Con Pro from HKS I had to supply them with all the details of the car; Engine displacement, turbo, injectors, cams, VPC settings, diameter of exhaust, gas octane, as well as some other info that I'm sure I'm forgetting. You would receive the unit and install it. It had a small hand held control unit with an LED display with a series of lights and few buttons. It would display codes and lights that would indicate how the F-Con was progressing through it's "learning". You would do a full throttle run through each gear several times and it would make adjustments through the rev band. You could feel the difference with each run, and usually by the 3rd or 4th pass it was set and you would "set" it with a dip switch in the back than move on to the next gear. I don't believe it adjusted the cam angle at all. As I recall, it only controlled fuel and ignition timing. The display could give you data from the unit, but it was not exactly user friendly. It was way better than the Apexi Safc however in my opinion.
prorallycodriver
Tricycle

There is a VR4 entered at Rally WV next weekend.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Awesome!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

It lives...been dragging my feet big time on getting her back together...but it's done. The car hunts for idle a bit after start up and feels a little too "vibraty" for my taste. Gonna check the timing belt and balance shaft belt marks again. The exhaust is not hooked up right now...so it's like Nascar in my garage. Hope to get everything ironed out soon and take it to one of these meets. Here's the under hood shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

GVR-4Chad wrote:It lives...been dragging my feet big time on getting her back together...but it's done. The car hunts for idle a bit after start up and feels a little too "vibraty" for my taste. Gonna check the timing belt and balance shaft belt marks again. The exhaust is not hooked up right now...so it's like Nascar in my garage. Hope to get everything ironed out soon and take it to one of these meets. Here's the under hood shot.
Plugs? How are the injectors? I assume the timing is electronic, so it sounds like somebody's getting too much or too little fuel. Does it smooth out after it gets up in speed or have you not done that with the exhaust off? Air filter is kind of ruled out... Do you have an IAC?
rocket scientist
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Congrats Chad! Looking good! For us, hunting idle is usually AFR's being out of wack.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Plugs are solid...as in brand new (along with the wires). Injectors were just flow tested and passed brilliantly. Once I get the exhaust put back on, I plan to tune with the S-AFC and see what's happening. It's impossible to hear the engine when the exhaust is throwing up death metal just under it. Rebuilt tranny works...tested 1st and reverse, more to come...hood and exhaust to be put back on, then it's road test/tune time.

Recap:
Rebuilt tranny, rebuilt transfer case, ACT 2600lb clutch, ACT flywheel, AC components removed (the front of the car is all inter cooler and radiator now), new plugs, wires, intake manifold hot tanked, all new hoses and gaskets, new fluids, etc... Should move like a boss.
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Update:

Could only get the car to hold a decent idle by adding way more fuel to the mix...hmmm....losing vac somewhere. So play the listen around the engine game and fine a low hissing sound coming from the intake mani gasket area. Shut her down, boost leak test...system won't hold air...it's coming out faster than I can pump it in, must be a huge leak. Fire her up again and go to town with some carb cleaner, testing the problematic areas. The entire intake mani gasket reacts when sprayed...d'oh.
When the engine was out I replace a Felpro paper gasket with the oem metal one. Unfortunately the thin metal one was unable to seal completely...possible intake mani not having a planed surface? But it worked fine with a paper one (more forgiving) with no leaks at all. So I ordered a phenolic thermo plastic one off the interwebs. A bunch of people like em...I plan to slap that on with some RTV for good measure. I'm not swapping intake mani gaskets every other day.
So close....
Chad
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

GVR-4Chad wrote:possible intake mani not having a planed surface?
That would be a good guess. Did you take a razor to the surface before squeezing them together? Might be very small ridges of old material still there too.

Happy to see you're making progress!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI