Our new project car: RallyX-7

Building up your car? Post up your build!

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Our new project car: RallyX-7

Post by Sabre »

Very happy to hear that it went well! Sounds like you have a tough little bugger there!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

Wow, that looks like a ton of fun. Maybe I should do this with my camaro instead of setting it up for tarmac.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:nana:
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

:popcorn:
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

awesomesauce! :nana:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

We're now registered for the June 11 National event.
http://www.dlbracing.com/Clubs/drivers. ... 2&LMID=119
Come play with us!!! :nana:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Will be on a plane, otherwise, I'd show for this.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

So, last weekend was the DC Rally-X school on Saturday, and was supposed to be followed by a race on Sunday. Unfortunately the race got called due to lots of overnight rain. :( It's been rescheduled for this Sunday, so fingers crossed, the weather will be beautiful. We did get some good seat time in the AM working on slalom and apex skills. Shawn was practicing his drift skills a bit more though.....

After losing multiple magnets and dealing with wet paper, I decided to order vinyl numbers for the car and only use magnetic ones for co-driving.

In the afternoon, however, the seat time was a bit reduced. :censor:

During Shawn's first run, he heard a noise about 3/4 of the way through and decided to finish the run. Yep, the exhaust came off almost entirely. Unfortunately, it was still held on by 2 hangers and it took the better portion of 2 hours working with limited tools to cut the metal hangers still holding the exhaust on. It came off about the same time that the afternoon runs were wrapping up, so we had to stick it in the hatch and just drive back to the truck. OMG, it is loud!!! We're hoping to have it welded before Sunday so we can run. I think the starter and our competitors would kill us with its current volume. I'll update again after this weekend.
WDCR Solo Committee Member
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sounds like I'll be up there Sunday :) I'll definitely come watch you all... and maybe even beg for a ride :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote:Sounds like I'll be up there Sunday :) I'll definitely come watch you all... and maybe even beg for a ride :)
:plusone: :mrgreen:
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Katya4me wrote: Unfortunately, it was still held on by 2 hangers and it took the better portion of 2 hours working with limited tools to cut the metal hangers still holding the exhaust on.
That seems to be how it always is. I had a car where the cat heat-shiled had half-rusted off and was dragging on the ground. The one side was so rusted it went to pieces. The other side? We burned through 5 sawzall blades and spent an absurd amount of time with a cutoff wheel trying to cut the other bolt that was seized.
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

And now that everybody is coming out to see us we are not going to be able to make it :(. I thought we were going to be able to get everything done and make it there but it's not going to happen this event.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

moxnix wrote:And now that everybody is coming out to see us we are not going to be able to make it :(. I thought we were going to be able to get everything done and make it there but it's not going to happen this event.
at least we got to go karting!
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

complacent wrote:at least we got to go karting!
Yeah and we want to go again now :(. We are already thinking about trying to head out there the day before the Nov RallyX event (The next one we can make) if the weather is not that bad for a Some KTP.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

keep us posted. several of us now have memberships and a few have unused credits... :mrgreen:
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

As the season wraps up and we look forward to our final event in November, we've started thinking about what we want to do over the winter. On the list are things like a skidplate, new tires, obviously a new exhaust now, etc.

As the car has a 4x114.3 bolt pattern and an open diff., one thing we've been looking at is going to a junkyard and getting an LSD and 5x114.3 hubs off another RX-7. That would make it a lot easier to find wheels or use some that we already own. Well, we ended up finding something along those lines:

We saw an ad on CL for a '87 GXL, the engine had died and the owner was working on a swap, but the wiring harness is not connected. Not sure what other problems it may have, but it was $500. :) The owner tossed in some manuals and a whole box of parts and we towed it home. Actually, this is sounding rather familiar....

Now the differences. While it doesn't run right now, we may be able to fix that. If so, the interior and exterior look so much nicer than our current RX-7. It also has full interior, which means we could drop to a lower class, which might be a nice option to consider. If we can't get it running, we will strip it for parts for the current RX-7.

Oh, and what do you do when you have a sloped driveway and a car that doesn't move under it's own power? You pull it with the Miata!!! :screwy: It was convenient and has a tow hitch....

We haven't started tearing into it yet, but I'll update as we make progress.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

you guys need a show on SPEED to showcase your automotive Frankenstein exploits :ya:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Haha, that's fantastic! Glad to see you two are putting all that garage to good use :)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Indeed, good luck! Let us know if you want any help wrenching :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

New season!!!
We (Shawn) decided that the blue would become a donor car, starting with the LSD. He was off work last week and our first event was this Sunday, so he swapped the old diff out. It was a little dirty:

Of course that wasn't the only dirt he had to deal with:

Those were the little pieces as he was able to gather up the large clods to dispose of them a little easier.

This is some scary dude I found in the garage when I got home:

Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

moxnix wrote:Speaking of the first event....

Since we bought a GoPro HD over the off season we now have video.

Here is a morning run from each of us with data from the MaxQ.
Katie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tv5iLf1Icc[/video]
Oh god, that definitely was not one of my better runs.....
Unfortunately, we tried mounting the GoPro inside on the hatch glass and the angle was not good, so those videos are scap. I ran AM only, and Shawn ran all day. We also had 2 co-drivers in the car running the other heat, so we are definitely pushing the car.
moxnix wrote:Shawn morning run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJzObOXlNDs[/video]

Afternoon run no data (forgot to recharge the datalogger over lunch) They reverse/change the course for the afternoon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSmW2cUWqRY[/video]

Here is Katie's second run from the morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt3OtcI2IHg[/video]

And then you also have things like this.... What happens when you forget to press that button on the suction cup mount that says press?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahJL3tYxYj0[/video]
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Awesome footage! How much of a difference did the LSD make? I'm guessing a good bit!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

-corner worker- "hey guys, look what I found!"
That was great you guys. Thanks for sharing.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:nana:
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

It is hard to say how much of a difference the LSD made since we did the swap over the winter months and every course tends to be different. I think it feels a little better but only time will tell how much difference it makes.