Blue Lightning - Libra Monkee's 2006 STi

Building up your car? Post up your build!

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

Blue Lightning - Libra Monkee's 2006 STi

Post by Libra Monkee »

What the hell have I done to this vehicle besides find new ways to break it?

STOP!!!!!
Hawk HPS brake pads front & rear
Stainless steal brake lines
SuperBlue Racing Brake Fluid
Slotted Front Rotors

GO!!!!!
TuboXS Short Ram Intake
MadDad Metal V2 One-Piece w/Cat Downpipe
Borla 3 Inch Twin Tip Hush Catback Exhaust
TurboXS UTEC with pro tune
Street Fighter II Fabricated Short Block

BE PRETTY!!!!!
Tinted Windows
Zero Sports Vortex Generator
DCAWD decals :D

ENTERTAIN ME!!!!!
Pioneer AVIC-D3X In-dash DVD receiver/navigation /w iPod connection and Bluetooth

DON'T BE SUCH A PITA!!!!
Rally Armor skid plate
Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve

Pictures to come once she cleans herself up.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Blue Lightning - Libra Monkee's 2006 STi

Post by Sabre »

Libra Monkee wrote: Blah blah blah...
GO!!!!!
Blah blah blah...

Pictures to come once she cleans herself up.
Corrected your GO color (freaking colorblinds....).

Also want to apologize for leaving her a mess last night.... she was digging me and we just had a thing. Now mind you, it was a couple of hour thing, but it won't happen again.... I swear!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Kiss my Lime @$$. :lol:

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:ttiwwp:
:rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Re: Mjöllnir - Libra Monkee's 2006 STi

Post by Libra Monkee »

Blue Lightning officially died and is being reborn as Mjöllnir. For those who don't know, the car has pretty much been out of commission since the summer started. The car went to AR Fab sometime in August where Blue Lighting's heart... uh... engine was ripped out and Mjöllnir's is being put in. The block and crank have been reconditioned. Additions include custom forged and coated pistons, forged rods, high strength case bolts, copper o-ring deck, bored and stroked cylinders, and competition bearings.

The shop is waiting on a few more parts to come before the engine goes in the car. Maybe I'll be driving it again by Christmas.

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I am NOT going to blow the motor in my forester just to keep up with you and Julian.

(here's hoping i didn't jinx it) :oops:

That build sounds really awesome! Are they taking pics of her guts for you?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i'm still gonna call 'er blue lightning. with the built motor, the name will ring truer than ever before.

just sayin'...
-Ben
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

complacent wrote:I am NOT going to blow the motor in my forester just to keep up with you and Julian.

Its ok, I took one for the team and did it for you. ;)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I saw the motor on the stands while I was up there... I can't wait to see it IN the car!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Libra Monkee wrote:Blue Lightning officially died and is being reborn as Mjöllnir. For those who don't know, the car has pretty much been out of commission since the summer started. The car went to AR Fab sometime in August where Blue Lighting's heart... uh... engine was ripped out and Mjöllnir's is being put in. The block and crank have been reconditioned. Additions include custom forged and coated pistons, forged rods, high strength case bolts, copper o-ring deck, bored and stroked cylinders, and competition bearings.

The shop is waiting on a few more parts to come before the engine goes in the car. Maybe I'll be driving it again by Christmas.
Sounds...BERRY NICE!!!!

Hope it is bullet proof and comes back sooner than later...sucks not having your ride :(

I have been seeing some white smoke and smelling a little coolant smell from my car...hope I didn't blow a gasket. :(
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

ElZorro wrote:
complacent wrote:I am NOT going to blow the motor in my forester just to keep up with you and Julian.

Its ok, I took one for the team and did it for you. ;)
you're getting a built ARFab motor too?!?! sweet!! :lol: :poke:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

sirwilliam wrote:I have been seeing some white smoke and smelling a little coolant smell from my car...hope I didn't blow a gasket. :(
Not good man :( Check for coolant leaks, otherwise look to see if your oil looks like chocolate milk :(
complacent wrote:you're getting a built ARFab motor too?!?! sweet!! :lol: :poke:
As much as I have tried, I can't get him to take his Forrester up there..
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Sabre wrote:As much as I have tried, I can't get him to take his Forrester up there..
I'd be thrilled to take the FXT up there, and I'd have the exact opposite feeling while I paid the bill. :-D I'm not interested in spending all that money on the FXT (which is a great value with ARFab, and worth every penny) and then blowing the AT, and doing a MT swap puts it out of reach. I might as well just buy a used FXT with MT at that point.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sabre wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:I have been seeing some white smoke and smelling a little coolant smell from my car...hope I didn't blow a gasket. :(
Not good man :( Check for coolant leaks, otherwise look to see if your oil looks like chocolate milk :(
Yeah, unfortunately I have previous experience with a failed head gasket in my '04.
ElZorro wrote:
Sabre wrote:As much as I have tried, I can't get him to take his Forrester up there..
I'd be thrilled to take the FXT up there, and I'd have the exact opposite feeling while I paid the bill. :-D I'm not interested in spending all that money on the FXT (which is a great value with ARFab, and worth every penny) and then blowing the AT, and doing a MT swap puts it out of reach. I might as well just buy a used FXT with MT at that point.
[/quote]

Full STi swap!!!!
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Newest addition "as of last weekend": Rally Armor skid plate. It's looks cool but I think oil changes are gonna be more of a pain.

Also, I'm in the market for a turbo. I think mine is finally on it's way out. Trying to avoid a FMIC though.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

You'd be surprised... I've gotten accustom to my skid plate and it's faster for me to change the oil with that than it was with the crappy plastic tray.

Start a thread about the turbo recommendations... but my first thought is honestly HTA Green. Depends on what you want though!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i've found it easier to swap out oil with the skidplate than it was with the plastic tray. four bolts, no cussing.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

new turbo you say. . .

You just opened a HUGE can of worms.
Actually, it can be very simple, with one simple question:
Do you want to swap injectors and fuel pump?
If no, your choices fall to into the VFseries turbos or the TD05-16G /18G / HTA68 ($799 to $925).
If yes, than you will need to decide how much power you want.
If 350-400 whp is your target than look no further than an FPGreen or Blouch Dom 1.0 or 1.5 XT or . ($1500)
If around 350 whp is good enough and you want to go as cheap as possible you could get a TD06-20G ($900 from turbochargers.com)
Beyond these, You would be advised to get a front mount intercooler.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

How difficult is to swap injectors and fuel pump? It sounds like something I do better to let a shop worry about?

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Libra Monkee wrote:How difficult is to swap injectors and fuel pump? It sounds like something I do better to let a shop worry about?
fuel pump - easy.

injectors - moderately difficult. with the side feed injectors, you can flood the motor and risk hydro-lock if it isn't done properly. i know there are a few of us who've done the install.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

There are some tricks with the injectors: Disconnect the fuel pump before you do anything and turn the engine over a couple of times. That will get rid of the pressure in the lines and also any excess fuel in the injectors. Then remove the injectors and you should be fine. You will definitely get some gas into the chamber, so you just have to leave the injector out for a few minutes... Gas is pretty evaperative, so it will disappear quickly.

I've done three sets of side feeds now, so I can help out. It usually takes about 45 minutes to do all four. The fuel pump is another 45 minutes since you have to remove the back seat and such.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Definitely make sure the injector electrical source is unplugged (unsure on Subaru specifics) before pulling plugs...no need to risk a fuel/spark event. As far as relieving pressure...I've just always disconnected the FPR and let that excess fuel hit a drain pan...gas is so cheap now anyways.
Chad
91 Galant VR-4 (989/2000) (Project Track Car)
92 Galant VR-4 (141/1000) (Project Street Car)
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

GVR-4Chad wrote:Definitely make sure the injector electrical source is unplugged (unsure on Subaru specifics) before pulling plugs...no need to risk a fuel/spark event.
The injectors plug is right on top, so it's definitely off by the time you are going to actually pull the injector. I doubt there would be a problem with the coil packs discharging ever, but I suppose it's possible some how.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

fuel pump is easy, just run the tank down as far as you dare and be ready to smell like gas for a day or two. :lol: