Cereb Daithi's Open Class Rally Car

Building up your car? Post up your build!

Moderator: Moderators

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Re: EJ205 GC Coupe

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Officially sent the money for the PPG gearbox. It should be shipping out tomorrow I believe.

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

According to the seller this gearbox was actually built by PPG and has 0 miles on it. I was a little suspicious of that claim but he only has great member reviews and on top of that he is selling some other very high end stuff like an $11k fully built cosworth longblock and a full TSR70 kit all with 0 miles as well. Guy seems legit. Apparently he hit money troubles before he completed this build and had to sell it all off. His loss is my gain I suppose.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sucks for him, but awesome for you! Congrats!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

often times life is a Zero Sum Game...
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Mild update. Still being held back by those security torx heads holding the airbag control module in place. Haven't had a chance to run out to get a set yet. :ugh: Still can't remove the dash bar until that comes out. Getting closer to the engine removal phase though!

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

FWIW, harbor freight has a set for cheap and they usually ship for even cheaper 8)

(I find buying online makes it easier for me to overcome certain trips to stores that would otherwise be frustrating or overly time consuming)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Harbor freight ftw. Ordering in a set of security torx. In the meantime some more updates on parts on the way soon. The PPG gearbox will be here in a few days. Starting to accumulate exterior parts for the GC:

JDM Aluminum v5 STi hood (very light. pretty rare too)
JDM front and rear light bumper beams
JDM Clear corner markers
JDM taillights
USDM headlights

All brand new OEM pulled from the warehouse somewhere in the world (except for the headlights), and at a heavy discount. You don't want to know the markup on that hood and how much below list I'm actually getting it for.

Also another thing that will be underway as soon as I get the steering rack out... shipping it off to Canada to be converted to a 11.5:1 quickened steering rack.

I'll be contacting primitive about getting a skid-plate and light pods for the hood at some point next week. (those won't be purchased until after the car is on the road though just getting expenses tallied up and planned)

Here's a question I can run by you. Whats your take on lexan? I have a contact that has offered to cut and bend lexan to whatever spec I need as long as I pay for cost of materials. Since this is a road-car I can't get away changing with the front or rear windshield. Front is highly stupid and I want the defroster coils for the rear. Where I was thinking was side windows... The door windows are also unlikely but the rear 1/4 window might be something I can get away with. Does anyone know if those are of any significant weight? I don't think its worth the effort but I have no idea how much that glass weighs so if it actually is something significant it might be worth a little extra cost. I also have a contact that has offered to custom-fab carbon fiber for this project also as long as I pay for cost of materials. Any suggestions as to what I should get CF'd? And no I'm not making CF body-work.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

The Lexan will save you a lot of weight IIRC. Phil uses Lexan windows and carbon fiber on the doors on the Element racing car and has seen huge savings in weight.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

I'll look into it a bit more. It's not top priority on my list but it warrants further investigation I suppose.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

One more goody on the way. Ported heads

and possibly a change in plans for my tuning... very seriously considering Hydra EM. The GC is pre OBDII.. and on top of that I do not have emissions where I live. Glad I didn't spend much at all for that UTEC. That and I'll be overjoyed to get rid of MAF and make the move to MAP

PPG transmission will be here Tuesday. I'll try to get more pics soon.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

You've been doing a ton of stuff, great to see man. :) Hopefully it comes together for you!
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

It's daunting. For every thing I complete it seems like 2 more things take it's place. I'm moving forward though. I guess that's what counts.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Indeed, just keep rolling and things will come together!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

I've made the decision to avoid Hydra for now. No matter how much I would love to have it, it's an expense I just can't justify. This build is not getting outside the boundaries of what the ECU/UTEC can handle with an opensource tune. Down the road it might be something I'd like to invest in but it'd just be a waste of money at this stage.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Just a few things to note on the Hydra:
I'd sell mine to ya for $800 (I was thinking of upgrading anyway). It's the original 2.14 version. This is provided I could still get a new one for the price I think I can ;)
It can handle all aspects of the water injection if you want to go this route.

Honestly though, I would go Open Source. I wish OS had been as mature as it is now 4 years ago!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

After some frustrating delays I can finally reveal a pic of the PPG goodness :twisted:

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Almost makes me weep for joy!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

It would have been cheaper to have done a full STi drivetrain swap but I am being very anal about weight in this car and wanted something lighter. Plus I can't pretend I didn't want that head-turning straight cut whine... PPG straight cuts have a way of bringing out the little schoolkid in everyone.

Next up for the plans, I'm looking at contacting Griffin about a custom built radiator.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Went out to get a security torx set.

Came back with this.

All new hand tools... new chest... It's a warm fuzzy feeling. (bought craftsman if anyone is curious)
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Craftsman is good stuff. About 99% of my tools are craftsman :wink: I am not a baller that can afford Snap-on or Matco tools...I was pretty impressed by IAG's $20k Snap-on rolling tool center w/ $30k worth of Snap-on tools :drool:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

After the last of the annoying delays... the tranny is finally home.

Also bought some new parts yesterday:

NGK Iridium 1 step colder plugs
Cobb short ram intake (still haven't decided whether to use the Perrin or this)
APS hard inlet
Walbro 255
ATI gauge pod
Maddad Ultra gauges (Boost, EGT, Oil Press)
Tial 38mm EWG (just going to get rid of the other EWG. anyone interested?)
Grimmspeed EWG uppipe (using this instead of the invidia that I got with the other EWG)
TGV deletes

The goal is to have the WRX fully gutted by the end of the week and maybe have the motor/trans out by the beginning of next.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

I would rather use the COBB intake over the Perrin. Never really liked the Perrin intakes.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

For the love of god, do NOT use a perrin air inlet tube! those :censor: ers collapse!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

I have heard that countless times... which is the whole reason I bought the APS hard inlet. Thing is beautiful. And the cobb looks like it's higher quality as well even though it's much smaller.
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Dude, this thread totally makes up for all your car purchasing mishaps in the past. I totally wish I could be there to lend a hand, too. Go, Dave, go!
RJ
'13 Mazda3
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

snaab wrote:Dude, this thread totally makes up for all your car purchasing mishaps in the past. I totally wish I could be there to lend a hand, too. Go, Dave, go!
lol, indeed! hahaha.

:popcorn:
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle