Project Secondhand

Building up your car? Post up your build!

Moderator: Moderators

psmwrx
I walk to work

Project Secondhand

Post by psmwrx »

This will be the build thread following the buildup of Julies 04 Wagon. The projects name comes from the fact that at least 90% of the parts will be aquired seconhand via forum for sale classifieds and craigslist. So far we have been all over Va, MD, and Pa. The goal was originally to make a STi wagon. Now we are leaning more towards a cross between the STi and the aftermarket. We started with an 04 Wagon minus the engine, front seats and small odds and ends:
The we purchased an 04 sedan shell in Baltimore for the doors and rear quarters:
Last edited by psmwrx on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
2011 F150 Lariat (Parts hauler)
1989 Ford Bronco (The other B***h)
psmwrx
I walk to work

Re: Project Secondhand

Post by psmwrx »

Next we cut up the shell into small enough pieces to throw away. Yes throw away and not scrap. The scrap yard require titles and I forgot to ask for the shells title. :screwy:
Then we got to work on fixing the rust found underneath the wagons body:
Once I decide if we are going front mount or not, I will do a bumper beam or not.
Last edited by psmwrx on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

Finally we could start with the upgrades. We picked up some Brembos from a guy on nasioc, the sedan doors, STi fenders and scoop, an 05 Saabaru interior, and basic strut bars. I will post those pics as soon as I can.
The lastest find was a set of wheels. They are 18x9 Rota torques with 235/40 R18 tires. The wheel is finished in a titanium chrome polish. The tires are not as wide as we were shooting for but the price was hard to pass up. We will be doing the sedan fenders and quarters and I will be stretching them to tuck a 255 tire.
Hoping to get to make more progress on it soon. Waiting on some new rotors and odds and ends to show up before I can move forward. I will take pics showing the process of welding on the new quarters and stretching them and the fenders to accept the wider tires. Also, if you are going to swap sedan doors onto a wagon remember the glass is different between the two. So don't throw out the wagon doors as I did and now have to search for wagon glass.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I will be following this build will baited breath.
My kind of project!
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

So here are a few picture updates. Still waiting on a few things. Brembos:
The wagon was an auto when we got it. Here you can see the auto gas pedal, a thottle cable WRX pedal, and the STi drive by wire pedal. It appears I will have to do some drilling of the firewall to make the drive by wire pedal work. There is no stud in the firewall to accept the lower portion of the pedals mounting plate.
Here is a pic of the wheels on the wagon:
Here you can see not only see the difference in the sedan door and wagon quarter, but the reason we decided to do the sedan quartes: Rust.
Now we wait. We ordered rotors almost a month ago from a "local" business that has been in the Subaru parts game for some years now but sure aren't acting like it. You would think they would at least let you know the stuff is back ordered when you first order it not a month later when you call them wondering where the stuff is.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

So sick. You are a maniac.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

what an awesome project! can't wait to see this come together.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Are you thinking stock turbo on this, or are you going big?
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

Actually, potential engine and drivetrain is not completely squared away yet. I am leaning towards the 6 speed and a regular 2.5. That is just looking at it from a cost perspective, but deals fall out of the sky all the time. We may start looking for a salvage title STi. I am not going to consider the 2.5 with 2.0 heads no matter the deal though just because of the time factor. I just want a quick swap. I do like Julian's setup in Blueballz currently. I'll figure it out after brakes and suspension is finished. That's a whole nother mess to figure out with these wider tires.

Cliff notes: Undecided on Turbo selection.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I would absolutely go 2.5 (ej255 or ej257). If you can't find an STi look for a FXT, 06+ WRX or 05+ Legacy GT motor. They wouldn't carry the premium that the STi motor but are essentially the same. The only reason I asked about turbo is that if you don't have injectors yet, I would go with 850cc or larger units, and look around for a 20G or bigger. If you're going to build something, you might as well make it 350 whp+.
Let's face it, a 300whp wagon is so 6 years ago.
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

I totally agree with the 6 years ago thing. We just want something reliable that doesn't need to have the tune tinkered with all the time as that is the one thing I don't do myself.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Dude, I had full Brembos.
Why not you ask?
In stock even...
I gots wire throttle plate/sensor and STi intake manifold and fuel rails if you need.
Lemme know if you want to go ver. 7 STi, I have block and trans.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

Well damn. I will keep that in mind when I get to the drivetrain part. What year trans is it? I would like to stick with the same final drive as my 04 rear diff as I have extras all with the same ratios. You know, just in case I break one. :drive:
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Such a GREAT project!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Jim ver 7 STi block, but ver 6 (5 speed) trans. 4 44 transfer on rear dif.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Wagon with upgraded interior, big engine and (most importantly) fender flairs. THIS is the car I wanted to buy from Subaru. Bravo!
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

Working on that upgraded interior now. I will have to get some pics over the next day or two of that. The Saab door cards for the most part snap right in but there are differences in the switch plugs, tweeter location, and the mounting points for the handle screw. So as usual modifications are in order. :mrgreen: I am working on sourcing some door handle surrounds now and then the replacement windows will be next to find.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

Small update. Not a lot happened to the wagon since we are trying to manage a home remodel at the same time. Started the door card swap. Got some new switches from an 05 or 06 STi. Can't remember:
Threw the Saab cards on for a test fit.
You can see here that the door cards cover the tweeters:
and the mounting hole for the grab handle is slightly off:
So with some bending and flipping of the tweeter brackets it is now where it can be heard. I will make some extensions to relocate the grab handle mounting point.
Here you can see the difference between the 04 window switch (left) and the 05/06 STi switch. They just pop right out and swap within the switch assembly:
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

Here is just some pics of the sedan rear quarters:
and the front fenders finally showed up:
We are still waiting on the brake rotors and conversion for the rear. I should have looked at the vendor review section on here before ordering. There is really no excuse for as long as this has taken to get them. Every week they say the parts will arrive the next week. Honestly if your thinking of ordering from a place whos name has fast and wrx in the website name I would probably just google search someone else selling the same parts.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

psmwrx wrote:Honestly if your thinking of ordering from a place whos name has fast and wrx in the website name I would probably just google search someone else selling the same parts.
:lol: If I had a dollar for every time I've heard the same complaint....

Oakos is my go to for brake parts :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

any plans for the wheels in the 1st pic? I need a set of wheels for winter...
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

Sabre wrote: :lol: If I had a dollar for every time I've heard the same complaint....

Oakos is my go to for brake parts :)
I should have used Oakes. I have in the past with no issues.
goob_os101 wrote:any plans for the wheels in the 1st pic? I need a set of wheels for winter...
Sorry, they are gone as of this past Saturday.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
supasixfo
Bicycle

Post by supasixfo »

hot damn! this build is epic. this is like where build threads go to build thread. not like those lame DI build threads consisting of installing :: insert bolt on here :: and slapping a build thread title on it. this project is legit. if only i had the skill and patience that you have to frankenstein cars together :D! keep postin' updates. looking forward to what comes of it!
Alvin
Black Box rally team
Our blog: http://www.blackboxrally.com
Like us: http://www.facebook.com/blackboxrally
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

The build has slowed down some. Got a home remodeling project going on and now we are heading into the holiday season so those will take priority over the build. I may get some more little things here and there but I would suspect that no more major progress will happen until after Christmas. So here is what she looks like now:
Brake parts finally came in:
What they will look like behind the wheels. I just threw them on real quick. I need the caliper mounting bolts as the WRX ones were rusted beyond reuse. Just a set of SS lines after that:
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

by any chance would you like to swap you roof rails for my deletes?