How to build a vintage rally car out of a Ferrari

Building up your car? Post up your build!

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

How to build a vintage rally car out of a Ferrari

Post by Mr Kleen »

How to build a vintage rally car out of a Ferrari in eleventy easy steps
Jalopnik wrote:Since retiring from competition, Finnish ex-rally driver Kari Mäkelä has been busy building badass Michelotto rally-car replicas out of classic Ferrari 308s. Let's take a look at what goes into a typical build. Strap in; you may be here a while.

Mäkelä Auto Tuning's state-of-the-art shop is set up specifically for this kind of high-end work. In this case, he's taking a standard 1976 Ferrari 308 GTB and turning it into a replica of one of the most awesome, if not storied, racing machines of the Me Decade. The Michelotto Group B rally cars circa 1983.

It's not an easy job. Mäkelä and staff have to strip the 308 to the carcass, prep the frame, and then re-assemble a full cage; a new, racing-minimalist's driver's compartment, and all-new suspension gear. Naturally, a stock Ferrari can't do dirt stages any more than Carla Bruni can compete in an Olympic deadlift competition, and so a new suspension — an elaborate puzzle of coils and dampers — is a must. But, you know, these guys do it all the time, so they kind of get it.

Also, since this car will see action in historic rallying, it has to comply with most original FIA homologation rules (some updates are allowed for historic racing), and do everything the original racecars once did for real. It's probably cost effective too, considering one of the original Michelotto cars sold earlier this year at a Bonhams auction for 460,000 Euros.

And so it is: 20 months and 7,000 man-hours later, we've got a Ferrari that's nearly identical to the cars that ran in the '83 Group B season. Thankfully for build-thread nerds, MAT documented the build with 2344 photos and a video. That should be enough to get the gist.

One nerdy note. As you can see from the photos, MAT's replicas have carbs, not the Bosch K-Jetronic fuel-injection of the true Michelotto race cars (not that we're complaining). But from the looks of that sticker from the race tech inspector, it's apparently just fine with him. And listen to that engine note, and believe me. All will be forgiven.

more photos posted on Jalpnik
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: How to build a vintage rally car out of a Ferrari

Post by complacent »

i don't think i'd have the stones to do that even if i owned a spare ferarri.

btw, i love that they're using a fram oil filter... looks kinda out of place, yea? ;)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Make sure to check out the video.

Pretty freaking cool. I'm sure the historic Ferrari guys are turning over in their graves!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
thermatico
Yugo owner

Post by thermatico »

Reminds me of an old joke.

Q: How do make a small fortune in automobile racing?
A: Start with a large one!
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

With the light pod I think you'd avoid a lot of the Magnum PI jokes.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

I LOVE those wheels.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

PGT wrote:I LOVE those wheels.
:plusone: especially with the white body.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

wheels are bespoke for Hawk Racing and made by Compomotive and are Lancia Stratos replicas. 15x8/15x12

2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)