"The L"

Building up your car? Post up your build!

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

"The L"

Post by Sabre »

So this is going to start out slow, but be added to in the future. I bought a 1995 Impreza L (1.8L) to build out a race car with after a few track days. The main reason behind this is to have a cage around me while going at stupid speeds. While I'm building up the parts to do the swap, I'm Rally Crossing it in the Stock AllWheelDrive (SA) class in the WDRC SCCA chapter.

Modifications:
Front & rear strut tower braces
K&N Filter
Blue Fluid
EBC Red's
KYB OEM Struts (G2's)

Track Events:
2011-06-11/12 - Summit Point - Rally X (SA) - RallyX Main and Gravel courses.
2012-03-18 - Summit Point - Rally X (SA) - RallyX on Main course. Placed 2nd.
2012-04-28/29 - Summit Point - Rally X (SA) - RallyX school on Main and Gravel. RallyX on Barn course. Placed 4th.
2012-06-09 - Summit Point - Rally X (SA) - RallyX on Barn and Gravel courses. Placed 3rd.
2012-06-10 - Summit Point - Rally X (SA) - RallyX on Main course. Placed 3rd.
Placed 3rd for 1st 2012 RallyX season in SA
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: "The L"

Post by Sabre »

I seafoamed the engine just before the track day (and just before I changed the oil). Seemed to help a lot.

After the RallyX, I literally had to clean the mud out of the K&N. One side was muddy, the other clean as a whistle. Very happy to see it stopped all that crap from going into the engine!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

This is gonna be fun. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Oh, indeed it will be :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I brought the calipers from Brembo, and the rear BBK upgrade set. let me know if you want to meet me at our new office after work and take a look.
Left the hood at home though.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

the previous owner of this car had a set of DMS coilovers in the garage....might be worth asking if he still has them. They need a rebuild but you could get them done to "gravel" specs and then smash over 12" curbs at speed :nana:
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

PGT wrote:...and then smash over 12" curbs at speed :nana:
:shock:

:drive:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Pictures coming... after the door gets fixed that the damn safety/emissions inspector dented :evil:
zaxrex wrote:I brought the calipers from Brembo, and the rear BBK upgrade set. let me know if you want to meet me at our new office after work and take a look.
Left the hood at home though.
Not even a question that I will take them off of you for the agree'ed price! I think I sent you an e-mail about it... I could be wrong :/ In any case, know that they are sold :)
PGT wrote:the previous owner of this car had a set of DMS coilovers in the garage....might be worth asking if he still has them. They need a rebuild but you could get them done to "gravel" specs and then smash over 12" curbs at speed :nana:
I think that Dre sold them, but I could be wrong. I was going to put my TiC SST's on the L (TiC will revalve them for the new weight). I might be re-evaluating this though.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

no...he didn't. he might have thrown them away when he moved (but I highly doubt that based on being in his garage on saturday and seeing all the junk :lol: ). think he still has some 5x100 wheels in there from his long-gone LGT wagon.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

PGT wrote:the previous owner of this car had a set of DMS coilovers in the garage....might be worth asking if he still has them. They need a rebuild but you could get them done to "gravel" specs and then smash over 12" curbs at speed :nana:
Not with the stock axles in front, he wont. The CV boots would be popping weekly and the joints not long after that.
But with that much power, maybe he is going to get custom axles?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Depending on the trans that goes in to it, I might be needing OEM or custom axles.
WRX 5 SPD = OEM
STI 6 SPD = custom
From what I gather.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

If you wanted to take a look at the BBK kit, that is an option as well.
If you are going rock hopping, that increased angle on the axles for the suspension travel would call for custom ones to handle the extra off-axis torque.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Dre happened to pop his head in the office today...he still has the DMS but they're for a GD chassis, not GC. Not sure why he got them....think the original owner said they were GC
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

also...are you taking a slow approach to this build (i.e. over years) or planning to do big things soon? Our friend over in Germany just bought a '12 GT-R and is considering an offer to buy his '04 STI. If he sells it, that will leave him with a spare '06 STI transmission and brand new Cosworth crate motor that are stored in his house in Haymarket (that he would sell).

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

holy shiny motor batman!

:drool:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

no joke. I think it doesn't have the Magnus or Tilton on it as pictured but it was still sweet! Rated for 700hp or something...basically, all the internals you can do and still be 2.5L
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

DOOOO EEEET!
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

That motor is AWESOME... but I also know that he spent 5 figures for it :shock: No way in hell I can spend 5 figures.

Sadly, I was looking for an 07 tranny because the gearing is better :(

That is a damn pretty motor though... is it still "in the wall"?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Yep. He planned to have PPG gears installed so he didn't care about the year.
supasixfo
Bicycle

Post by supasixfo »

sabre, this thread needs updating, and pics. also results of the "L" throwing down the pwn at recent rallyX events.

Let me start off by showcasing the power of the "L" at the test and tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boyiP3-Y ... ure=relmfu[/video]

Ph34R th3 L!
Alvin
Black Box rally team
Our blog: http://www.blackboxrally.com
Like us: http://www.facebook.com/blackboxrally
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:drive: :nana:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, thanks Alvin ;)

So, placed 2nd and 4th in my class at the last two events. Cones killed me at this last one, so the focus next time will be on not touching cones!

Here is what it looks like after a weekend of fun:

I'll throw up more pictures and video's later on tonight :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
supasixfo
Bicycle

Post by supasixfo »

Sabre wrote:Cones killed me at this last one, so the focus next time will be on not touching cones!
Cones are for mere mortals. Allow me to introduce "Cone-killa" Cup rules. Every cone hit takes 2 seconds off your time, just like in real rally.

Also, i present the L. it drifts so hard, tires can't even keep on.
2012-04-28_16-20-36_30-dcawd.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alvin
Black Box rally team
Our blog: http://www.blackboxrally.com
Like us: http://www.facebook.com/blackboxrally
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

LOL, that was pretty damn funny.

Background: Turns out I had a nail in that tire and that dropped the pressure low enough that I debeaded. Nice thing about being at a race track is that there are services available. Took it over to Phils tire service on Summit Main and was back on the road in 20 minutes.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI