And today's meditation is...

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

And today's meditation is...

Post by avriette »

(seriously, don't read this. it's mental diarrhea. i'm just in serious distress and need to get this out of the brain's craptrap)

The STI is not the NInja.
The STI is not the Ninja.

(it helps to envision jack nicholson in the shining)

I know you're sick of hearing it, especially Ben, so I figured I'd rant a little more in offtopic.

I have never been afraid to downshift two (or three) gears when wanting to pass somebody. I have never really been afraid of swerving around somebody when they are acting stupid. I have never been afraid of accelerating like a cattle prod has been stuck up my ass. This is to say, I am happy to drive the STI as hard and as aggressively as I care to. However, most of the time, I'm a pretty docile driver, "drive 55," use cruise control, and mainly make sure it's not me getting hit, rather than avoiding hitting anyone.

However, I've been on the Kawi for a while now, and I have apparently acquired the newbie confidence that leads to me first bike droppage (drove home in a thunderstorm, in the dark last night; managed up-hill stoplight on wet tarmac without stalling; adapted to new Sidis rapidly ...). Thankfully for me, though not for everyone else, I was in the STI this morning because apparently it's supposed to storm all day. I'd had too much caffeine, too quickly.

I wasn't keeping the car at 6,000 rpm (or, really, 8k or 9k...), but I pretty well kept it between 4,000 and, well, wherever the redline is – I actually forget. And that asshole in front of me? Or rather all of them? Downshift, accelerate, get around, get out from blocks of traffic, and avoid merging and other cross-flow traffic situations by rapid "corrections."

I kept checking my "corners" for those cars that are seemingly always there, trying to kill me, when really, this morning, I was the guy you wanted to stay away from.

I am not blaming the Ninja for my driving like a complete asshole. It is 100% my fault, and thank god I didn't get a ticket or whack somebody (the STI, you may notice, is a little bit bigger than the Ninja, too).

But I'm so used to being able to GTFO when necessary, flick the bike around "problem drivers" or problem road conditions, keeping an eye on my corners and avoiding traffic that is moving in slow, herd-like blocks that when I got out in the STI this morning, it was really hard to shake that mentality. I found myself more than a couple times with enough lateral g that I thought, damn, my head feels funny... ack, no helmet??? I'm not safe! (Ross may chip in here and agree)

It's really driving me nuts. This switching between the two vehicles, that is. The STI is not a slow car, and it can and will fly around and through traffic when persuaded to do so. It doesn't move quite like a motorcycle, but that's the point – it should be driven like a car, and not like a motorcycle. I think I need a slower car that will sort of force me to remember, hey asshole, you're in a cage, drive like it, rather than a car that I can get into a lot of trouble with.

And let me be clear, I'm a very cautious rider on the bike, have the protective gear, and I'm not the "doing 95mph on rt. 1 because I can" type. It's just that the bike is so high-strung (keep it between 9k and 14k; it's howling, but happy) and moves so quickly when asked to that it's almost confusing to get into the STI with the same mentality. And, in the STI, I don't need to be quite so concerned about that guy on my corner, because he sees me and I see him (most of the time he sees me, I guess), so I shouldn't be so quick to try to avoid "situations" that would be dangerous on the bike.

I gotta get a handle on this. And let's not even mention that I'm going to have to get a $60 tank of gas when I leave work today, whereas last week I topped off the Ninja for $6. And I won't need gas again for a month.

I just can't believe how hard it's been for me to switch between the two. After two days in the STI, getting back on the bike is a little weird for the first few minutes, and then it's like, well, "riding a bicycle." The reverse is not true. Getting back into the STI takes that same two days to get back into "driving a car" mode.

Maybe we should "trade up" to an LGT or something, as both Sandy and I get the next, faster, bikes. She's torn between the CBR600RR and the Triumph Street Triple (both are serious brawling bikes) for next season, and of course, I'm picking up my motogp-wannabe on Sunday. Maybe next season, she'll have the bug just as bad and we'll trade for a car that's more practical than "faster than all but the top one percentile" and we'll get heated seats and a sunroof.

Gah. (I can hear Colin saying, "easy there, tiger. arrive alive and all that.")

Maybe if I write it enough... I'll get some paper, even, and do some self-flagellation and write it out. The STI is not the Ninja. The STI is not the Ninja. I will drive my cage like a cage. I will not drive as though my life depends on getting around somebody or out of their way. I won't be that asshole kid in a rice mobile and giant wing who cut you off this morning and doesn't understand driving responsibly on the street. The STI is not the Ninja.

Headache. Maybe I need a drink. It's okay to drink before 9am if you're going to be glued to your chair all day, right? Where did I leave that bourbon...
rocket scientist
chicken n waffles

Re: And today's meditation is...

Post by chicken n waffles »

i hope my darling sandy runs over your ninja with her sti.

JOKES!
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

In my case.

The STI is not the SV.
The STI is not the SV.
The STI is not the SV.
The STI is not the SV.
The STI is not the SV.
The STI is not the SV.
The STI is not the SV.
The STI is not the SV.

(it helps to envision jack nicholson in the shining)

I know you're sick of hearing it, especially Ben, so I figured I'd rant a little more in offtopic.

I have never been afraid to downshift two (or three) gears when wanting to pass somebody. I have never really been afraid of swerving around somebody when they are acting stupid. I have never been afraid of accelerating like a cattle prod has been stuck up my ass. This is to say, I am happy to drive the STI as hard and as aggressively as I care to. However, most of the time, I'm a pretty docile driver, "drive 55," use cruise control, and mainly make sure it's not me getting hit, rather than avoiding hitting anyone.

However, I've been on the Kawi for a while now, and I have apparently acquired the newbie confidence that leads to me first bike droppage (drove home in a thunderstorm, in the dark last night; managed up-hill stoplight on wet tarmac without stalling; adapted to new Sidis rapidly ...). Thankfully for me, though not for everyone else, I was in the STI this morning because apparently it's supposed to storm all day. I'd had too much caffeine, too quickly.

I'm getting conflicting reports. One says I don't need an umbrella. The other says showers are supposed to start around 10:00a. Well at least I have gortex pants.

I wasn't keeping the car at 6,000 rpm (or, really, 8k or 9k...), but I pretty well kept it between 4,000 and, well, wherever the redline is – I actually forget. And that asshole in front of me? Or rather all of them? Downshift, accelerate, get around, get out from blocks of traffic, and avoid merging and other cross-flow traffic situations by rapid "corrections."

The STi redlines around 7k. That also when the revlimiter kicks in.

I kept checking my "corners" for those cars that are seemingly always there, trying to kill me, when really, this morning, I was the guy you wanted to stay away from.

Get them before thay get you. That my motto.

I am not blaming the Ninja for my driving like a complete asshole. It is 100% my fault, and thank god I didn't get a ticket or whack somebody (the STI, you may notice, is a little bit bigger than the Ninja, too).

It's AMAZING the handling difference between a 3300lb rally car and a 400lb sport bike... isn't it?

But I'm so used to being able to GTFO when necessary, flick the bike around "problem drivers" or problem road conditions, keeping an eye on my corners and avoiding traffic that is moving in slow, herd-like blocks that when I got out in the STI this morning, it was really hard to shake that mentality. I found myself more than a couple times with enough lateral g that I thought, damn, my head feels funny... ack, no helmet??? I'm not safe! (Ross may chip in here and agree)

It's really driving me nuts. This switching between the two vehicles, that is. The STI is not a slow car, and it can and will fly around and through traffic when persuaded to do so. It doesn't move quite like a motorcycle, but that's the point – it should be driven like a car, and not like a motorcycle. I think I need a slower car that will sort of force me to remember, hey asshole, you're in a cage, drive like it, rather than a car that I can get into a lot of trouble with.

I think I've told you before. both of my vehicles entertain but in different ways. There're things I'll do in the car that I won't do the bike (like powersliding through a 15mph exit ramp doing 60. There's things I do on the bike that I won't/can't in the car (like weaving through all the sunglass wearing, cell phone talking, SUV driving, blind turn making cagers that are trying to kill me on a daily basis. I even started using the bicycle lanes to get around them.)

And let me be clear, I'm a very cautious rider on the bike, have the protective gear, and I'm not the "doing 95mph on rt. 1 because I can" type. It's just that the bike is so high-strung (keep it between 9k and 14k; it's howling, but happy) and moves so quickly when asked to that it's almost confusing to get into the STI with the same mentality. And, in the STI, I don't need to be quite so concerned about that guy on my corner, because he sees me and I see him (most of the time he sees me, I guess), so I shouldn't be so quick to try to avoid "situations" that would be dangerous on the bike.

Meh, learn from it. It could help make an even better driver. I know now I drive like I do when I'm on the bike and it makes things a little better. I just wish the car could squeeze into the tight spots.

I gotta get a handle on this. And let's not even mention that I'm going to have to get a $60 tank of gas when I leave work today, whereas last week I topped off the Ninja for $6. And I won't need gas again for a month.

A tank of gas for an STi: $55. A tank of gas for an SV: $15. Blowing up the gas station as you speed away, laughing maniacally: Priceless.

I just can't believe how hard it's been for me to switch between the two. After two days in the STI, getting back on the bike is a little weird for the first few minutes, and then it's like, well, "riding a bicycle." The reverse is not true. Getting back into the STI takes that same two days to get back into "driving a car" mode.

I think the car's going to need a new clutch by my next checkup.

Maybe we should "trade up" to an LGT or something, as both Sandy and I get the next, faster, bikes. She's torn between the CBR600RR and the Triumph Street Triple (both are serious brawling bikes) for next season, and of course, I'm picking up my motogp-wannabe on Sunday. Maybe next season, she'll have the bug just as bad and we'll trade for a car that's more practical than "faster than all but the top one percentile" and we'll get heated seats and a sunroof.

Gah. (I can hear Colin saying, "easy there, tiger. arrive alive and all that.")

Maybe if I write it enough... I'll get some paper, even, and do some self-flagellation and write it out. The STI is not the Ninja. The STI is not the Ninja. I will drive my cage like a cage. I will not drive as though my life depends on getting around somebody or out of their way. I won't be that asshole kid in a rice mobile and giant wing who cut you off this morning and doesn't understand driving responsibly on the street. The STI is not the Ninja.

Sad thing is, I can see myself turning into that guy. When I'm stuck in traffic that I know I could easily traverse on the bike but the car just won't fit. So as soon as I get an opening, I'm gone.

Headache. Maybe I need a drink. It's okay to drink before 9am if you're going to be glued to your chair all day, right? Where did I leave that bourbon...

Boubon is good. I prefer whiskey. What's the difference? Ask Gabe.

Learning about myself as rider I'm not entirely sure my next bike will be a sport bike. I apparently don't have the sport bikers mentality. Sure I like to go fast and get sideways, just not all the time. Even when I go riding by myself I find a windy country road, get my speed up to slightly above the speed limit, and just enjoy the cruise. Which is probably why I like the Naked SV so much. When I want it to be a sport bike, I can hunch forward and it's got the acceleration and leaning angles that I need. When I want to cruise, I can change my seating position and a enjoy the ride.

So with all that, I don't think I'll ever get a full on "MotoGP type" sport bike. I'll probably being sticking with the Naked SVs, Triumphs (I like the Tiger), BMW. More of the "Touring type" bikes.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

bikes good.

cars good, just different.

pubes.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member