Bikes, again. This time, I think I'm done.

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Bikes, again. This time, I think I'm done.

Post by avriette »

We put the money down on a 2008 CBR600RR (black, graffiti) last night. It's about the purdiest thing I'd ever put between my legs (haw haw haw), but it felt right. I've been driving the Ninja, Sandy's been driving the Ninja, and every time I get back into the STI, I just can't get enthusiastic about it. In fact, when I've been on the bike, and I get back into the STI, I want to lean into turns, and the car feels sluggish, like it's not willing to commit to the turn or something. It literally takes me maybe twenty minutes to get back into "car mode" again.

I've always been in to speed, stupidity, and anything I could do illegally on the road. I got a lot of speeding tickets as a kid. But I haven't gotten one in ten years, and since I moved out to DC, I've really become a much more relaxed driver, have far less to prove on the road, and I don't think I've ever really "raced" anyone on the road (that I can remember) since i came out here. Occasionally, it's that downshift to, you know, really get in front of that guy, but other than that, I wind the car out through first and second, shift to sixth, hit cruise, and the car drives me home. But really, I've grown up a lot, and while a bike scared me as a teenager (because I knew I was really stupid), it scares me a lot less now (despite having a healthy respect for our friend f = ma) because I just don't have that need to knee-drag around 110 on the way to work, or to do burnout donuts to be a prick.

Sadly, the most fun I've had with the car in the last year was driving it through all the mud and snow we had last winter, going absolutely nuts in a gravel pit at a construction site near my house, but the theme here is: not on the road. Sandy hates this. It makes the car filthy, it chips the paint, it costs money to clean (or time...), and so on. So I've just given up irritating her by abusing the car. (whether this is abuse is open to discussion)

I got the Falkens on the car, and intended to make those the rain/winter tires, and put slicks on the car for the sunnier months because I just know where the limits of the car are, can push right up to them, a little further, and then there's just no point. And no point in getting a ticket, either. The slicks were an idea I had to get just a little more out of the car on the road, but why bother? For that little difference? Is it worth it?

Then there's the bike. Sandy's Ninja, a "lowly" 250, has about the exact same performance of the STI. I've sort of "chased" her around a parking lot, keeping an eye on the bike to make sure it looked like it was in good shape (and of course giving her enough distance), but the entire time, I was thinking, god, what a pig this thing is. We switched, and while the bike weighs within 10% of what I do, plus or minus, and it was entirely different. You pick it up quickly. Or, at least, I did. Some people don't. The point is, there's just something about it that feels more intuitive. It goes where I'm looking. I feel, somehow, inexplicably, more in control of the bike, than I ever did in the STI, despite the fact that I think I know just about every ounce and inch of that car's abilities.

My dream, for years, has to get my Z back on the road in the shape I want it in. I've vacillated back and forth between motor choices, 2JZ, RB, SR20, 7M-GTE, and so on. But my goal with that car was always to turn it into something that felt – get this – like the bike does. And I didn't even know it. I wanted the car to be loud, stupidly powerful, dangerous, and yet controllable when I wanted it to be. That was the whole allure. Push it really, really, hard and it would do what it was supposed to do, and if you wanted to be silly with it, I wanted it to do that, too. I didn't know it, but I guess over the years, the ideal picture I had for the Z was a vehicle that performs almost exactly as a motorcycle does. Raw, powerful, responsive, tremendous road feedback, and a surplus of all of the above for when I need to get it out of my system.

Now, it's a chore to get in the car, sit in a chair, have these windows around me, and I literally feel more vulnerable because there's all this stuff around me that I can't really see or feel. I now understand why people call them "cages."

Sandy wants to keep the STI because she is very attached to it. So, we probably will. I have a deep sentimental attachment to my Z (it was the first car I built), and one day I may well resurrect it. And on those winter days when, dammit, you gotta go into work despite the "wintery mix" or snow or whatever, we'll probably co-commute, as we do now.

But, really, I look at Colin, and I get it. Ben joked about Colin complaining his old car always had a dead battery because he drove it every two months. Provided Geico gives us a rate we can live with (details forthcoming), I can't see taking the STI to work unless I have to, and it will sit. I can't really even see driving it unless we're going to e.g., get groceries.

I see so many people here buying bikes, and thinking, gosh, maybe we should get together and go for weekend rides (the end of the season approaches!). I'm not sure how we all sort of arrived at this decision at once, although I will definitely say Colin had a huge part in assuring Sandy and I it was possible to ride a motorcycle and not die by just getting on the thing, but it seems to be kinda going around. Maybe it's gas prices ($6 fillups ftw), maybe it's the weather, but even people in my office are buying motorcycles. It's like one more guy every month.

The four-wheeled variety, guys, it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I know I've rambled on and most of you either scrolled to here or just said (hi, Ben), oh god, there goes alex again, words words words words, but I think I'm done with 'em. We have to have something with four wheels for certain, specific "missions," but other than that, gosh, why would anyone drive something that big, that sluggish, that resistance to input, and lack of feel? I know I just can't go back to it.

Here's hoping I've got the good sense to keep the shiny side up, and recover gracefully and safely from any person-road interaction (or heaven forbid, any person-car interaction). I'll be around, but my interest in our STI wanes by the day, and has been for about a year. Since the snow went away last winter.
rocket scientist
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Bikes, again. This time, I think I'm done.

Post by Mr Kleen »

:dropgob:

you'll have to change your screen name to Bruce Wayne. :wink: 8)
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

1) that bike is HOT!
2) I too thought if i got on a bike I'd die but
a) you learn a lot of respect when you are on a bike
b) you reach that "oh shit" point really fast on a bike... its humbling.
3) They are a ton of fun, and in the last 2 weeks I've put less than 40 miles on the car

I know what you are going though, and I think you will LOVE that bike. I rode up to summit this weekend, and I'm eager to jump on a sport bike and take it on track. But I have the respect to realize there is a lot i need to learn on my lil sv before i jump on track :)

Good luck with your bike, and hell yea we should go for a ride! I know some good roads out in loudoun and they are calling your name!
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

yeah right. ;)

you can wax poetic about the woes of plunking down on 4 wheels vs. 2 until you're blue in the face, but it'll never convince me. maybe you're just not in the right car.

sandy's a smart gal. i'm sure in time you'll realize she's right for wanting to keep it. and hey, if you're worried about it sitting for too long, you can always rely on your friend ben to stretch its legs. i could use a break from the acura.

see you back here soon.
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

TL;DR

Coolness! Is this the one you and Sandy were telling you saw in Coleman's? When I saw that thing in there I think I came a little (good thing I was wearing dark pants). So yet another STi may be leaving the family, eh? I don't get it. For all the thrills I get on the bike, I still have fun in the car too. Of course the cause and the feeling of the excitement are slightly different.

The car, has a roller-coaster kind of excitement set to theme music of my choosing. Dips and twists, tire squeal and standing on the very edge of traction. YEAH! But all the while knowing that should things go terribly awry, I may walk away a little worse for wear but at least I'll walk away.

The bike, is exciting in the way that getting shot at is exciting. Knee dragging at break neck speed, flip-flopping in S-turns, and fighting the wind as you pull back the throttle forcing the bike to belt out a rebel yell. But one false move and that's all she wrote.

Both leave me physically and emotionally drained after a day of spirited driving/ riding.

But congratulations! I'm sure you'll a blast with that new bike and it looks awesome!

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Libra Monkee wrote: Coolness! Is this the one you and Sandy were telling you saw in Coleman's? When I saw that thing in there I think I came a little (good thing I was wearing dark pants).
Yeah. Me, too.
So yet another STi may be leaving the family, eh?
No. Just getting used less. Sandy's on two wheels today, I'll be on two as soon as the bike is delivered, and we'll be in the car when it's ugly out. But that means probably 20-30 miles per bike per week, and maybe 10 miles on the Subaru. Twenty if we head out to Great Wall or go hunting for secret chinese vegetables.
The car, has a roller-coaster kind of excitement set to theme music of my choosing. Dips and twists, tire squeal and standing on the very edge of traction.
Losing traction in a car is meaningless unless you hit something. It's a different matter entirely on the bike. I am sure my opinion of both kinds of vehicles will have changed after I've racked up as many years on a bike as I have on a car. (lots of 45-year-old dudes who ride big honkin' cruisers now that used to ride supersports...)
The bike, is exciting in the way that getting shot at is exciting.
Never having been shot at, I can't really comment on that. But, my entire life, I've sought out the most dangerous things I could do, and done them. I frankly feel a lot better when my brain has to work hard to keep the rest of me alive. I'm sure it's a psychological defect, but it can be useful, sometimes. Maybe Ross can comment. The brain plays tricks on you when it has to. Time feels different, your senses feel different, when you get up above 130mph, or you're into a lateral g at speed. Maybe that's why people become base jumpers.
Knee dragging at break neck speed, ...
Easy, cowboy. I said I like the feeling of the bike a lot more, I can't get it in the STI, and I actually feel encumbered in the Subaru now. I didn't say I was going to wheelie my way up Wilson and drag anything until I'm good and damned comfortable with the bike, if ever. As I recall, Colin once told me, "no, I've never dragged a knee. A peg, sure. Never a knee." Bike will be delivered with frame sliders and rear spools just in case, but I have nothing like the capabilities that bike demands. It will take a long time before I get there, and that's the whole point. I got there with cars. Maybe I'd need a GT3 or something, or to get the Z put together, or whatever, but the CBR is a lot easier to get at.
Both leave me physically and emotionally drained after a day of spirited driving/ riding.
You know that feeling you have after you've spent a long time at the gym, and you go, damn, I'm sore. Do you ever really think, "well, that sucked, I won't ever go do that again."?

Ben: didn't say I was leaving DCAWD. I haven't been to meets because of my until-recently-broken knee. That and I'm a cranky twat. I'll be back at meets, when I can, and on the forums when work isn't kicking my ass.
rocket scientist
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

It's about $80 a month to insure, which is cheaper than the STI, and I guess twice as much (well, more like three times as much) as Sandy's Ninja.

Man. Bikes ftw.
rocket scientist
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

I pulled up to a light last night, and there was one of those bikes stopped there. We exchanged nods, and I could not help but stare.. :dropgob: its a nice bike!
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

I've spent my fair share of time at the dealer oogling that bike. In the end, I like something naked... along the lines of a Triumph Street Triple or a Ducati Monster S4R. Just throwing that out there, in case anyone's going Christmas shopping.

Congrats on the acquisition!
RJ
'13 Mazda3
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

The 08's are tits. Honda really knocked one out of the park this go-round. You'll love that damn thing. It's fast, agile and light.

I'd love to have their new 1000RR, but I think my loins, my wallet and my sig. other would prefer a nice sport tourer...

Specifically, the BMW K1200GT.

150+ HP, ground clearance, handling, hard bags *and* cruise control? :drool:

Makes me very tight in pants. Very tight indeed.

Think fast, be smooth. You'll be just fine. :mrgreen:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Three cheers for some fine looking bikes over at BMW, and for the comfort of a cruising oriented sports machine.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

complacent wrote: I'd love to have their new 1000RR, but I think my loins, my wallet and my sig. other would prefer a nice sport tourer...
You'll always be our Ninja, Colin. :)
rocket scientist
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

avriette wrote:
complacent wrote: I'd love to have their new 1000RR, but I think my loins, my wallet and my sig. other would prefer a nice sport tourer...
You'll always be our Ninja, Colin. :)
Heh.. :blush:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz