Ducati 1098R - With Traction Control

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Ducati 1098R - With Traction Control

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Btw, in case you haven't figured it out, our network in down (except for internet access). Hence the flurry of posts from me. And no, I'm not only looking at AutoBlog. It's just that they have the most compelling stories right now.

Anyway, on to the Ducati in the title...(full gallery of pics via the link below)

Link
This is truly the best Ducati bike that you are likely to get your hands on, considering that the Desmosedici RR MotoGP replica is probably out of reach and certainly sold out. Don't feel bad, though, 'cause the 1098 R is a most excellent consolation prize. We never did hate on the 999 like many Ducati loyalists seemed to, but we still recognize the 1098 R as a vast improvement. The details read as you might expect, such as the bigger bore, bigger stroke, bigger valves, and bigger throttle bodies housed inside the sand-cast engine cases that ought to adequately hurtle the Öhlins TTXR single rear shock and fully adjustable 43 mm Öhlins fork with low friction Titanium Nitride towards the next apex. Keeping up appearances is the carbon fiber bodywork, tri-colored color scheme (plus natural carbon fiber finish) and gold Marchesini Y-shaped forged wheels. Bello indeed.

Leading the list of electronic goodies is the traction control system, which is enabled with the included track-only ECU tuning. We imagine, however, that many riders will run the upgraded programming on the street regardless. Can't blame 'em if they do, and they'll be rewarded with a boost from 180 horsepower to 186. Every little bit counts, right?

--Alan
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sweet! Nice and light, too.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

ibcolin
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Wow! 186HP on a motorcycle! :shocked:

My question is, are you sure this is going to be enough to keep your butt in the seat once that thing takes off?

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

That bike is pure sex.

The Desmodici RR they're referring to has north of 200HP. And it weighs less than the 1098. :shock:

linky

My personal favorite, as well as the one bike I regret sitting on (it fit like a glove, dammit) was the Ducati 848.

A little more "sane" for street driving. The 1098 and Desmodici are track-only weapons in the truest sense.

It would be like having a daily driven, nitrous injected, twin turbo Z06. Waaaaaaay overkill for the .029% you'd get to reeeeely twist the throttle back.

All just my opinion of course...

Oh yea, ZOMGBONER X 100000000. :oops:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:shock: :dropgob: :hudson: :postwhore2:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Looks like a lot of other people liked the 1098, too. It's been voted the 2008 International Bike Of The Year.
Ducati and its awe-inspiring 1098 has delivered a knockout blow to its competitors with the 2008 International Bike of the Year trophy, winning the coveted award with 22 total votes, 13 higher than the next closest motorcycle, the Triumph Street Triple. This award goes to the best motorcycle of the year and is voted on by 15 independent motorcycle publications. Not only did Ducati take the top spot overall, it dominated the charts by also snagging ties for third place with the 1098S, sixth place with the Desmosedici and seventh with the Hypermotard. That's an impressive feat by any measure, but perhaps even better news for the iconic Italian company is that consumers seem to overwhelmingly agree with the choice. For the first time ever, the IBOTY held an online poll to accompany its official vote and the 1098 took first place there too with 996 votes. Second place went to the Desmosedici, third went to the 1098S and eighth was taken by the Hypermotard.

Ducati has been on a role lately, also scoring the "Best Bike of the Year" award from the Supertest World Association. These awards are going to very deserving bikes, which are also translating directly to Ducati's best sales numbers ever. We look forward to seeing the coming response to Ducati's winning streak from the drawing boards of the competition. It's truly a good time to be a sportbike enthusiast.
--Alan