So MBS....

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

So MBS....

Post by GaToR »

It's a real thing, isn't it?

I decided to keep the dual sport (KLX250S) for the GF. For off road purposes (which she has expressed interest :D ), it's a beginner's dream. The MX bike (YZ-250F) will now be my mount of choice.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: So MBS....

Post by complacent »

i had three in the stable at one point (sv650, 636, fjr1300). wife was not pleased that the garage had no space. it's totally a thing.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, congrats? ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by captainslow »

Very cool! I would have MBS if I only had the space :cry:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i think i can pair it down to two bikes and be close to happy.

a dedicated dirt bike. either a katoom or a yammie.

a sport-tourer, like my fjr1300.

or instead of the sport tourer, perhaps an adv tourer? i'm torn on knobbies with a (mainly) street bike. i really dig leaning over in the canyons here. it would be tough for me to give that up, or pair it down.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

complacent wrote:i think i can pair it down to two bikes and be close to happy.

or instead of the sport tourer, perhaps an adv tourer? i'm torn on knobbies with a (mainly) street bike. i really dig leaning over in the canyons here. it would be tough for me to give that up, or pair it down.
The R1200GS or the Yamaha Super Tenere are nice adv tourers. When I took the BMW off-road class, we had knobbies on the R1200GSs and it was amazing how well they handled, even in thick, deep mud. But you would probably need two sets of wheels for street tires and knobbies to do both canyons and dirt. And they are heavy bikes.

I would love to have a small dual sport bike to get better at off-roading, like the KLX250S, DR350 or DRZ400, or even DR650 (bonus points if the super tacky yellow and purple combo from the 90s). I can take my Triumph off-road, but I have to take it easy b/c it's hard to pick up when it tips over. I am no match for 480 lbs of bike!
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Blixa wrote:
complacent wrote:i think i can pair it down to two bikes and be close to happy.

The R1200GS or the Yamaha Super Tenere are nice adv tourers. When I took the BMW off-road class, we had knobbies on the R1200GSs and it was amazing how well they handled, even in thick, deep mud. But you would probably need two sets of wheels for street tires and knobbies to do both canyons and dirt. And they are heavy bikes.

I would love to have a small dual sport bike to get better at off-roading, like the KLX250S, DR350 or DRZ400, or even DR650 (bonus points if the super tacky yellow and purple combo from the 90s). I can take my Triumph off-road, but I have to take it easy b/c it's hard to pick up when it tips over. I am no match for 480 lbs of bike!
I nearly went for the KTM 525 EXC or Husqvarna TE 511.

250-ish lbs. 45-50 HP. street legal. :nana:

I've seen several folks putting dedicated streets on them. And with knobbies they are like tanks off-road.

captainslow

Post by captainslow »

GaToR wrote: I nearly went for the KTM 525 EXC or Husqvarna TE 511.

I've seen several folks putting dedicated streets on them. And with knobbies they are like tanks off-road.

Those are sweet bikes. I would consider them if I were 6" taller. No luck...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Blixa wrote:
yep. agreed.
Blixa wrote:I would love to have a small dual sport bike to get better at off-roading, like the KLX250S, DR350 or DRZ400, or even DR650 (bonus points if the super tacky yellow and purple combo from the 90s). I can take my Triumph off-road, but I have to take it easy b/c it's hard to pick up when it tips over. I am no match for 480 lbs of bike!

i agree here too :) lightest bike for the jerb is my opinion.
GaToR wrote:I nearly went for the KTM 525 EXC or Husqvarna TE 511.

i can't 525. because reasons. reasons like medians, staircases, etc. but fsm do i want to. with two sets of wheels.

:5-0: :goodvsevil:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

complacent wrote:
i can't 525. because reasons. reasons like medians, staircases, etc. but fsm do i want to. with two sets of wheels.

:5-0: :goodvsevil:
Yup. 350 exc is what I actually went searching for initially. but the only 1 within 100 miles was brand new and more than my savings account.

525s seemed easier to come by, most likely due to the :twisted: winning many a :goodvsevil:

Same went for MX bikes. There was a YZ450F I could have bought for a song because guy was scared of it. Less than 5 hrs on engine (he'd never ridden one before, but it was featured in all the mags, yo!)

Took me longer to find an unmolested quarter-liter. Glad I did though, as weighs ~nothing.