Helmet with Heating and Air Conditioning

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

Helmet with Heating and Air Conditioning

Post by Libra Monkee »

From the article the set up seems kind of crude. For cool air there's a solar powered evaportative cooler that pulls air in and blows it through a sponge and across the wearers face. The heating element came from a heated mouse pad and is powered by an external battery.

From the sounds of that setup it doesn't seem like it would be super effective in extreme temperatures. Plus, it might get kind of weighty. I like the idea though. If they spend a bit more time in R&D and make sure this thing still does its PRIMARY job of keeping my thinker from becoming suddenly inundated with tarmac, it'd be a definite buy.

Would you like to know more?
All-weather motorcycle helmet heats and cools your face, protects grey matter (video)

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Helmet with Heating and Air Conditioning

Post by complacent »

when asked "what would make a helmet better?" i never expected the answer to be "a swamp cooler."

outside of fog, i haven't had too many issues with helmets in either temperature extreme. dunno what to think of this.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
iceyinferno
I walk to work

Post by iceyinferno »

Haven't had any terrible issues with just my helmet. I'd need a full suit that did this, however...i feel like the jacket/pants would be a better application of these technologies. Head gets warm but I feel the larger surface area of the body, plus not having to worry about the egg inside makes that a better place. Helmets keep my yoke in-tact. Still good to see that someone is thinking outside of the box :)
04 Aspen White STi
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Head is a good place to apply heat and cold, there are tons of blood vessels in the scalp that pick up or send away heat pretty easily. But, given that your lower back and inner thighs and wrists work almost as well, and are easier to power and are less impacted by weight, I'd go after those first.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.