Springs and endlinks OH MY

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Springs and endlinks OH MY

Post by captainslow »

I want to add magic to my car. I have a 2009 WRX sedan.

Do you recommend any springs that will lower the ride height (by an inch max) but will have little effect on the ride quality? I enjoy long distance driving and don't want to suffer, but I would like to lose the ridiculous wheel gap. I don't think there are STi/SPT pinks for my car. I have been looking at springs by Epic Engineering, b/c I've read good reviews but only from people who just installed them. I could use any suggestions if you have some to offer.

Also, do you have any endlink recommendations? I see here people seem to like Kartboy and Cobb. I'm looking for something that pairs well with Whiteline sways for a setup that would be decent mostly for a daily driver, but would tighten the car up a little for auto-x. And, if the endlinks have polyurethane bushings, which is likely, are they going to be noisy? Do they have to be greased up regularly?

I appreciate your thoughts! And your patience for my n00b questions :|

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Springs and endlinks OH MY

Post by Mr Kleen »

Kartboy endlinks for sure. Pretty much all endlinks are the same, so I choose to support a company that I like. :mrgreen:

Springs are a an interesting animal on the Impreza. I had aftermarket wheels and tires as my first mod. Once I added springs (Tien H-Techs) the handling and stance were perfect but the ride quality was horrible. I switched to Kumho tires and the ride quality increased dramatically but still wasn't what I would call comfortable. Finally I replaced the stock struts/H_Tech spring combo with a Tokico D-Spec spring and shock kit. The handling is great and the ride quality is better, but it's still not anywhere near comfortable and now the rear clunks on occasion (but not nearly as much as when it was first installed).

My experience is with a 2004 WRX. Perhaps the new Impreza is different? Perhaps my definition of comfortable is different? :wink:
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

What about WRX STi suspension takeoffs? I know those should be stiffer than the WRX's, right? Should be plug n play for you, too.

I love my KB endlinks :) Whiteline makes good stuff as well, just a little pricey unless you can find it used.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i had cobbs (slammed) on my sti, then swapped them out for prodrives which raised the ride height from the cobbs but was still 1.something inches lower than stock and was DRAMATICALLY better in terms of spine-snapping ride quality, yet retained performance handling characteristics.

despite what many idiots say over on nasioc, riding on rails while on the street can make for a terrible-handling car. bump steer, jittery over uneven pavement, etc. the prodrives were about as good as it gets in terms of marrying handling/ride quality imo. does prodrive make springs for the new imps? *googles* don't see anything w/ their moniker for your car, BUT oakos sells epic springs made by prodrive engineers. 1"-1.2" drop (same as prodrives). pair them up with some sways/kartboy endlinks and it'll be like you have a completely different car.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

chicken n waffles wrote:oakos sells epic springs made by prodrive engineers. 1"-1.2" drop (same as prodrives). pair them up with some sways/kartboy endlinks and it'll be like you have a completely different car.
Big :plusone: to this and everyone else that has said Kart Boy stuff :) You might want to order the KB short shifter while you're in there, but check your AutoX class to make sure that it won't throw you into another class!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

Sabre wrote:
chicken n waffles wrote:oakos sells epic springs made by prodrive engineers. 1"-1.2" drop (same as prodrives). pair them up with some sways/kartboy endlinks and it'll be like you have a completely different car.
Big :plusone: to this and everyone else that has said Kart Boy stuff :) You might want to order the KB short shifter while you're in there, but check your AutoX class to make sure that it won't throw you into another class!
If you are changing springs that already took you out of stock class and that would be the only class I can think of off the top of my head that would require the stock shifter.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

<=== Knows nothing about the AutoX Classes other than I would be in the highest one b/c of my parts :) Thanks for the correction Shawn!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

Thank you all very much for your recommendations and advice!

I think I'll be going the Epic springs and Kartboy endlinks route. And good point about keeping the classes in mind. I think I'll be getting rid of my DS magnetic decals if anyone wants a set.

Thanks again! I'm looking forward to the new setup :drive:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

If you are really picky about handling and response, replacing the bushings will make the final difference.
A stock suspension bushing failed on me, causing a wobble and noise on uneven pavement. I chose to use http://www.energysuspensionparts.com for their setup and replace all of them. I don't see one for the newer models for you though. Yet.
Once you have done wheels, tires, and coil-overs/springs, bushings will show the true changes the previous upgrades have given you.
No ride degradation, quicker response. But the labor cost for the full replacement kit can run $500. You do not want to do this on your own.
Unless you have an acetylene torch, 15 ton press, a lift, and a hell of a lot of free time, get http://bilboautomotive.com.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Are they any good?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Yeah, way good.
Lets just say he fixed P-tuning's mistakes and didn't charge me extra to do it.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

zaxrex wrote: You do not want to do this on your own.
Unless you have an acetylene torch, 15 ton press, a lift, and a hell of a lot of free time, get http://bilboautomotive.com.
well actually... :wink:

thanks for the tip. looks like this bilbo place is near where i live, and near the metro, which is doubly nice.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Endlinks are super easy if you have ramps.
Springs are easy if you have a compressor and some space to work.
Bushings are a job for professionals.
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

I was planning on having a shop do it all. I'd rather not scuff up my lift or my 15 ton press.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Up to you, but as Gabe said: Springs/Endlinks/Sways are an easy one to do yourself and you'll learn about your car. You'll want to know how to adjust your swaybars anyway. We can definitely do this on a Saturday sometime. Bushings you can have done by the pro's tho :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

Sabre wrote:Up to you, but as Gabe said: Springs/Endlinks/Sways are an easy one to do yourself and you'll learn about your car. You'll want to know how to adjust your swaybars anyway. We can definitely do this on a Saturday sometime. Bushings you can have done by the pro's tho :)
Thank you for offering. I'd like to learn how to install these but honestly I don't have a place to do it, nor the right tools I'm sure. But I would like to learn if anyone has the time or patience to edumacate me. If you could suggest the tools I need, I can go get them and maybe find a parking lot somewhere nearby.

Btw is there anything similar to a Haynes manual for these cars? I didn't see one on the Haynes website for my car specifically. I remember I had one for my old car and it was a great resource.

Anyway, thanks again! I'll keep you posted when I splurge on parts.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

As far as tools are concerned, the club has everything you need, minus the 15 ton press.
Space can always be figured out amongst the members. That usually brings in other people who want to do stuff as well and can bring tools.
I can remember an install fest at a commuter parking lot, a parking garage (interrupted by a jackass owner), and a townhouse.
We can make it happen if you want to leverage our resources, or the shop I mentioned is awesome too. Your choice.
While I am away I plan on leaving my car with the shop to troubleshoot exhaust and transmission issues. Just 'cause I am away and don't need the car.
Either way, you will be happy.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Blixa wrote:
Thank you for offering. I'd like to learn how to install these but honestly I don't have a place to do it, nor the right tools I'm sure. But I would like to learn if anyone has the time or patience to edumacate me. If you could suggest the tools I need, I can go get them and maybe find a parking lot somewhere nearby.
all you need is a parking space. we have the tools.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I'd offer up my place for an install fest again :) Sept 12th is open right now. How about everyone else? Anyone else have stuff to install?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

are you planning on using the stock struts? I would not.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

goob_os101 wrote:are you planning on using the stock struts? I would not.
so you're offering to buy her new struts? how very generous! :lol: :wink:

if you have the cash its easier to do it all at once but there's no reason you have to change out the struts. stiffer springs will use them up faster but you can drive on stock struts and sport springs for a year or two before you have to think about upgrading. I did for 3.
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

Hello again.

Thanks all again for the tips. Kinda unexpectedly I have to put aside the desire to upgrade springs and the rest b/c my first priority now is to improve my braking.

If your offer of assistance still stands and you have any time either this weekend or the next to help me/show me how to replace my front brake pads, fluid, and lines, please let me know. I would really appreciate your help as I haven't the first clue how to do all of this and would love to learn.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Do you have everything? If so, I'm probably free on Sunday.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
captainslow

Post by captainslow »

Yessir! I have the parts. BUT... Probably not the tools, alack-a-day. Still I can run out and get what is necessary. Sunday works for me.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

It's generic tools with the exception of the wrench for replacing the brake lines. No need to buy one, all of us have them :rolllaugh:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI