The Return of Clunk!

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

DamSedan
I walk to work

The Return of Clunk!

Post by DamSedan »

Well, some of you may know that I have had some issues with my sti set up on the FXT. I ended up taking it all out, the fronts completely and swopped in my sti tophats. The back was taken off only to find that I could not remove the pass. rear. top hat assembly. I had the piston nut off and the tophat was somehow wedged on there. I reinstalled since I had compressed the spring and reseated it all. All was good for a few weeks, maybe even a month or so. But the binding is now back on the front (sounds like the piston nut is loose but will not tighten any further) and the rear is doing its stiction thing again. Not really a clunck accept on washboard roads if you will but it seems to stick and pop up a little when I come to a stop. Just odd! I am thinking that I may be trying to order a new (used) set over the winter and just trashing the set I have! Just not sure what the issue is as Maestro is having no problems what so ever! Basically, it is just annoying the hell out of me!
I will always be the DRNWAGN!
MAESTRO
I'm a n000b

Post by MAESTRO »

Ugh... I'm sorry man; if I were you, I'd have ditched the setup by now. My takeoffs have worked flawlessly (and quietly) since day one, and they only improved with the addition of the GF210s and STi rear bar. If you want any help uninstalling or messing with the setup, don't hesitate to let me know. I've heard really good things about the Whiteline Group 4 coilovers, and I may eventually switch to those; sooner than later if clunking rears its ugly head.
'04 Forester XT-STi
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

The clunking is rather quiet but I can feel it. The binding of the front only occurs when backing or pulling into the driveway. Basically, the wheels are turned and then the suspension gets compressed. I do not hit it fast and we are talking less than 5mph but you can feel it on the steering wheel. The rears just sort of sticks a bit and then you can hear a clunk sound. Just odd. I can not seem to figure out what it is as the struts work fine. It is almost as if the springs are twisting some how or something. The fact that the rear tophat seems to be stuck on there is just odd as well. This may be the next upgrade once this round is done. I have found them at a couple places for about $500 or so. Not sure if the JDM versions are the same. I did find a Pink set for $700. I will send you a link for the place shortly. You may have seen it already though.

http://www.jdmpartstx.com/

I have subscribed to their email list and get updates from them. It looks like the set of pinks I was talking about already sold. But there is another set in transit. Not sure if they fit though. Looks like they are version 7's.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I still have my clunking too :( The day I took it into the dealership, it was raining, so OF COURSE the damn sound was gone. They said it was my exhaust (which was loose, but there was a difference in the two sounds). I have the Kartboy exhaust hangers on now though, so everything is nice and tight. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have them look at it again. Bitches better fix it this time. I also have a squeeky front they need to take care of.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

I would bet that they will give you the run around and eventually end up telling you that the strut is bad as they have everyone else in the past and then swop it for you. That would be fine with me but I of course will have to pay and find something new. But I have seen alot of them out there for about $600 or so. May still go with co's over the winter. Just have to try to sock some money aside.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I read a bit in SCC where one of the editors swapped out WRX suspension on the Forrester and had no problems. If you need it, I can pull it out and give it to you.

If you are interested, I have my stocks left over.

In the near future, I'll also be putting up Tein Flex sets. That's right, sets as in plural.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears