Suspension Upgrade

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Suspension Upgrade

Post by HappyIdiot »

ElZorro wrote:Not a problem man, happy to help :)
So, the ride home, that is with the struts at full stiffness. I was reading through the adjustment guide and they set it at full stiffness from factory. I turned it down and the ride feels amazing! :mrgreen:

Thank you to everyone!
My Name is Adam.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Glad to hear :) Usually you always adjust from full stiffness down, so that's probably why they did that.

Sorry I couldn't stick around longer... After thinking about it, I'm an idiot for wearing flipflops to a garage. I'm just use to doing that at home and didn't think twice about it.

I can't wait to see how you do at the AutoX class!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

HappyIdiot wrote:Thank you so much for all your help!!!!! Let me know if I can help in anyway :D
Well I do have to install bushings in all 4 coilovers, UP, DP, CBE, XPT stage II map, and possibly headers. :poke:

All in all it was a great event. As I said we should do this more often. 2hrs and some change to do all 4 springs and struts was pretty good. Now we need to become expert UP installers. There is about 4 people I know that need them installed.

Glad to hear you got it softened up.

Heads up for you weekend warriors that don't have time on the weekends to work on your car Ft myer's Auto shop is open Wed-Fri untill 8:30pm.
I live 5 min away and don't mind lending a hand.
:nana:
I would like to thank everyone for a successful and safe install.
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

Sabre wrote:Glad to hear :) Usually you always adjust from full stiffness down, so that's probably why they did that.

Sorry I couldn't stick around longer... After thinking about it, I'm an idiot for wearing flipflops to a garage. I'm just use to doing that at home and didn't think twice about it.

I can't wait to see how you do at the AutoX class!
It's all good. No worries. It was nice to hang out with everyone. I can't wait for the AutoX either :nana:

goob_os101 wrote:Well I do have to install bushings in all 4 coilovers, UP, DP, CBE, XPT stage II map, and possibly headers. :poke:
Hey, let me know when. I've never done any of those before, but I would love to help/learn.
My Name is Adam.
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

Taking Gabe up on his brilliant idea about the strut bar fitment issue with the dust shields....

It is a little bit tight, but my fingers can still fit in and loosen the nut/adjust the dampening. :nana:

I was only able to complete the one side last night. I'm going to play around with it a little more and see if I can find a bigger grommet for that cap to fit into.
My Name is Adam.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Nice work there!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

So, was browsing around Nasioc and I came across a thread saying you need to cut the bump stops with the RCE spring/D-Spec setup. I had no idea when we did the install we needed to cut these. So, I called up TiC and found out only the fronts need to be cut, by one hump. I'm afraid if I remove the struts/disassemble, I'll have to get another alignment, but if I leave them on and cut them, I could potentially nick the shaft. Would leaving them the way they are be fine until I need to get another alignment and just doing it then? What do you recommend?
My Name is Adam.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

The biggest problem with not shortening the bumpstop is you limit overall suspension travel. In this case, you're losing about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. That's a pretty important amount at the limit. The result of the top hat smacking the bumpstop prematurely is unpredictable handling. Reeeely bad if you're at the track, not so terrible if you're driving to/from work.

If you're just doing commuting and "easy" city/hwy driving, you'll be fine until you have time/$ to disassemble/reassemble and align.

I bet you could cut them in place, but personally I've never tried.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

complacent wrote:I bet you could cut them in place, but personally I've never tried.
They are pretty hard, but I too would try to cut them in place. Just be careful! If you use a razor blade, the chances of you nicking the steel shaft are fairly low.... just watch your hands!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'll be surprised if you can even get close to the bump stops without taking things apart again. :(
I've been surprised before though...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:I'll be surprised if you can even get close to the bump stops without taking things apart again. :(
I've been surprised before though...
They just float on the shaft, so you can reach up and pull them down to the bottom.... oh man that sounds bad...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

I managed to remove the first nub last night. I started off with Julian's idea, but then my hand got tired of pushing up and holding it down. So, I grabbed two screw drivers, placed them on either side of the shaft, and set the dust cover on top of them.

I found out the passenger side is on upside down though :(. I didn't get a chance to get the rears yet.
My Name is Adam.