Clunking Coilovers

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Clunking Coilovers

Post by goob_os101 »

coilovers installed, but not without probs. I am getting a clunking in the front passengers and both rears. Sounds like something is loose. I actually broke one of the three top hat bolts on the drivers side :banghead:. (can it be replaced/how).
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Clunking Coilovers

Post by complacent »

There are a few problems here, fortunately most are relatively easy to fix.

Regarding the clunking - it is usually due to a bolt not being tightened properly (either from perch to top-hat, or hub to base), or from the spring not being seated properly between the top and bottom perches. Take the weight off of a corner and take a look.

There's also a chance that the height adjustment collars are not locked down properly. Again, take the weight off and get in their with your spanner wrench to check the torque on the adjustment rings.

There's yet another chance that these coil-overs clunk, period. When offering performance gains in suspension, there are few products that do not bring compromises (increased NVH, "clunking", rattling, etc) of some sort.

NOTE: This clunking may in fact be "normal" with this product. Have you called the manufacturer to ask if increased noise is expected?

As far as the bolt on the top hat (one of the three that hold the top hat to the top of the fender tower?) It's not easy to replace. And it's a two-fold question.

a) Do you have camber plates installed? If so, you'll probably have to return it to the product manufacturer for repair/replacement.

b) Are you utilizing the stock (or even the Group N) Subaru top hats? If so, go buy a replacement top hat. You can often find take offs at places like NASIOC for a song.

Either way, you're going to have to remove the strut/spring assembly at that corner, disassemble and replace the top hat/camber plate, reverse and reinstall. Unfortunately, unless you've got a good selection of metric studs and the proper press to remove and reinstall them, you're going to be replacing the top hat/camber plate.

Those three bolts are meant to be torqued to somewhere around 14 ft-lbs. Suffice it to say - that's reeeely gentle.

Hope the noise demons are easily exercised with your car. :)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

a) Do you have camber plates installed? NO

b) Are you utilizing the stock (or even the Group N) Subaru top hats? Running stock

I am going to have them re-torqued. I think that may be the issue ( I hope) :roll:
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

You have beat me to it.
All he hath said is Gospel.
The top hat should not be to hard to replace.
Look here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1672534
He is selling top hats, just can't tell if they are fronts or rears.
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

Coilovers have been great so far, but now the drivers rear is squeaking when I brake and take off. I can replicate the squeaks by jumping on rear drivers side. Time to re-torque again... :headsmack:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

goob_os101 wrote:Coilovers have been great so far, but now the drivers rear is squeaking when I brake and take off. I can replicate the squeaks by jumping on rear drivers side. Time to re-torque again... :headsmack:
This is why I don't do coilovers on a daily. You simply have to be willing to expect an increase in NVH, period.

Unless of course you spend $Texas on a serious set.

Good luck keeping the noises at bay! May they all die in a muffled act of violence 8)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

here is a diagram of the bushing I need to install:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

complacent wrote:This is why I don't do coilovers on a daily. You simply have to be willing to expect an increase in NVH, period.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. My original 5/5 KG/mm and valving from the Tein Flex setup was perfect. A little stiffer than stock on the soft setting, but trackable on the stiff one. No extra noise and better 'feedback' from the road.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

zaxrex wrote:
complacent wrote:This is why I don't do coilovers on a daily. You simply have to be willing to expect an increase in NVH, period.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. My original 5/5 KG/mm and valving from the Tein Flex setup was perfect. A little stiffer than stock on the soft setting, but trackable on the stiff one. No extra noise and better 'feedback' from the road.
I don't think that NVH is increased with coilovers, but I DO think that it is increased from camber plates which most people put on at the same time.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Zak, you're the exception to every rule. :rolllaugh:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I know no rules.
Probably why I am always in trouble.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears