DCAWD Groupie

Coilovers

Post by scheherazade »

The e90 community is swooning all over these :
http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx ... _E90-92_PR
They are $2000.

On the other hand, I saw these :
http://www.vexmotorsports.com/D2-Racing ... -1588.html
They are $1000. They are also adjustable just like the KW coilovers.

Both offer adjustment for :
- Height
- Dampening
- Pre-load

The only tangible difference (to me, and I'm no expert) is the fact that
one is stainless steel (KW), and one is aluminum (D2).

I know the steel will be much stronger. But ... does it even matter? I would think that driving around on normal roads it should all be the same.

-scheherazade
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Coilovers

Post by snaab »

I bought a coilover set-up for my WRX when I had it. I went with a kit that was $1,000 and one of the top hats broke within a couple months, binding the spring. I don't know what caused it for sure, but something in me says that I got what I paid for. I managed to sell them this month for $400, so it wasn't a complete loss.

I don't know anything about the two brands you posted, but I thought I'd throw my story out there.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

snaab wrote:I bought a coilover set-up for my WRX when I had it. I went with a kit that was $1,000 and one of the top hats broke within a couple months, binding the spring. I don't know what caused it for sure, but something in me says that I got what I paid for. I managed to sell them this month for $400, so it wasn't a complete loss.

I don't know anything about the two brands you posted, but I thought I'd throw my story out there.
Agreed. Especially if you bought the beemer for "smoothness" - Spend the money.

I've been on $1000 coilovers, I've been on $3000 coilovers.

My advice? Spend the money. A cheap or poorly implemented suspension can ruin a car quicker than no other.

(all in my opinion of course. ymmv.)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

complacent wrote: Agreed. Especially if you bought the beemer for "smoothness" - Spend the money.
The 335 with stock suspension leans like a drunk.
With the sport package, the 335 *I* gets upgraded suspension (way less sloppy) and side-supporting seats.
On the other hand, the 335 *XI* with sport package only gets the seats, they left the suspension stock.
Which is a cop-out because the sport package costs the same for both the I and the XI.

Stock suspension also rides higher up.

-scheherazade
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

sounds like it could use springs more than a complete coilover kit.
also sounds like further proof that the 335xi isn't sports oriented like the 335i. :wink:
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Mr Kleen wrote:sounds like it could use springs more than a complete coilover kit.
also sounds like further proof that the 335xi isn't sports oriented like the 335i. :wink:

Lay down the law, Kleen-ster! :mrgreen:
RJ
'13 Mazda3
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

Most the XI customer base is probably safety oriented.
Whereas I just like the better 0-60 on the XI (especially when chipped).

edit :
So, other than looking at the price, how do you know a 'good' set of coilocers from a 'crap' set?
Mr Kleen wrote:sounds like it could use springs more than a complete coilover kit.
I don't feel safe with a spring kit. Mostly because if I think it's too soft or too hard I can't adjust it.

-scheherazade
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

Update.

Went to ptuning and had this installed :

kmac stage 2 camber plates
kw v3 coilovers

Initial impression is that the car is a lot more stable through sweeping turns, way less body roll.
Sharp turns with little power are very flat.
It does lose/spin the tail around easier than before, if I gun it in a sharp turn.
Ride quality is harsher than I would like, but when I get rid of my run flats it will be better, so I'll wait before messing with the compression damping.

Installation seems to have been done nicely.
I let the shop do what they thought was best, and they gave me -2.0 and -1.5 degrees camber (roughly speaking). I asked them for an aggressive street setup, with no emphasis on looks (i.e. didn't just want a drop).
Other than a couple dirt smudges on the interior (already wiped off w/ alcohol), and a <5mph brake squeal (already getting quieter), I can't think of anything to complain about.

Impression driving down joplin road is that the stickyness is definitely improved.
Slightly-off-height bridges no longer make me feel like I'm getting launched into the air.
Speed bumps actually make me slow down now (not cause of height, but the initial impact can be jarring/intimidating).

Long story short, fun factor is up a noticeable amount. comfort is down a little, but I'll wait for non-run-flats before I make any changes or judgments.

-scheherazade
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

scheherazade wrote:
Long story short, fun factor is up a noticeable amount. comfort is down a little, but I'll wait for non-run-flats before I make any changes or judgments.

-scheherazade
Glad you like 'em. Will be curious to know how it improves w/ the tire upgrade as well :popcorn:
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

a friend of mine bought a Mini S and said there was a world of difference when get replaced the stock runflats with a regular performance tires, a can of fix-a-flat and a AAA membership. :wink:

good luck with the suspension build up!
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Thanks for the ride,

That is how a BMW should handle. Fan-bloody-tastic.

:nana:
Last edited by GaToR on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

Update :

Penn state roads > me.

Was driving back from Ski Roundtop this weekend.
Shitty rural roads... at night... (I believe it was mt. aerie (sp) road?)

From far off it looked like there was a seam between two different paving sessions. A stretch of dark pavement, like as if driveway sealer was painted onto the asphalt in a nice rectangular area.
When I got closer and shadow started moving over it (about 2 car lengths ahead), I realized that it was a friggin' ditch going over the whole lane.

Anyways... hit it HARD (approx 35 mph, but it was _DEEP_).

And now : symptoms -
1) crunch sound when wheel locks to either side
2) when turning more than 30% left/right, get the sound of a "metal baking pan flexing". ( *bwap*)
3) front end looks "slammed"
4) front right wheel higher up than front left.
5) sounds like 'screwdriver tapping metal' when idling, I have to turn the wheel a bit to make it stop.
6) metal jiggling sound when going over bumpy road
7) "mmmmmmmmmm" sound when driving down the highway. It stops when I coast.
8) car pulls to the right.

I think that about covers it...

Should have known better... Next time I plan on going to bum fuk nowhere out in the boonies : I'm taking the honda.

I'm just hoping the damage is isolated to the suspension.

-scheherazade
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Oh that sucks! Get it to a shop for an assessment soon. You might be doing more damage driving it around :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

I did drive the bmw back from PA... but I'm driving the honda now.

I am gonna take it to ptuning tomorrow morning and have them tell me what they think is wrong with it.

I just need an estimate for now, so I can decide if it's better to pay out of pocket or to use the insurance.

Insurance will :
1) charge me ~$600-$700 bucks per year for 3 years as a cost-recoup (so let's say it'll cost me $2k regardless).
2) I pay a co-pay ($250 bucks...)
3) Rate would go up since it's a "collision" (Apparently I collided with a pot hole, so they say...).

So all in all, if it's around $3k, I'll just pay out of pocket and save myself the insurance record.
But if it's much over that, then I'm gonna get nationwide to cover it.

-scheherazade
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

:dropgob:

Dude, what rotten luck. Sorry to hear that.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

ouch! sorry to hear. hope the bimmer makes a speedy recovery.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

*FIXED*

The car feels so much nicer after a few weeks steady in the old accord...

All in all it cost me a little over a grand to fix... Glad I left the insurance out of it.

Ptuning was really good about things. I had a lot of long lead times on some really bullshit parts. Tied up one of their lifts for way longer than I wanted to.

- Bump stops replaced (vendor sent me wrong part, modified them to fit.) (~$175)
- Camber plates replaced (they were bowed upwards, and one of the pillowballs was locked) (~$370)
- Dust shields should have been replaced, but vendor never sent them with the bump stops (online it says they are included as a bump-stop + dust shield package)
- One lock ring had the safety screw re-tapped and replaced since the old thread was damaged.
- Labor (if I remember right) ~$670

Anywahz : YAY!

I'm thinking my next mod will be to find some [auto tranny] carrier cases from a junk-yard-335 (hard to find...) and swap out the 3.08 for a 3.46, and put an LSD in the rear.

-scheherazade
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Glad to hear the car is back on the road! The waiting can be very frustrating.

I didn't know the rear diff was open on those models, interesting.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Glad it is driving right...sucks when things are borked.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

complacent wrote:I didn't know the rear diff was open on those models, interesting.
BMW puts LSD's on the //M cars.
The rest get electronic braking stability control (bleh. After this winter I never want to turn that crap on again... It literally fights with you for control.).

-scheherazade