First suspension upgrades?

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

First suspension upgrades?

Post by Sabre »

Ok, I've been thinking about doing some suspenion upgrades for awhile. I already have a front strut bar. Here is what I was thinking:
Rear Strut bar
F/R sway bars (recommendations?)
Steering ushings (recommendations?)

What do you all think of the above? Would Kartboy droplinks really do much for me? I presume they are just for tighening things up.
Thanks!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

One word: floccinauccinihilipilification.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

elzorro wrote:One word: floccinauccinihilipilification.
Exqueeze me?

:lol:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
GVR4-308
I walk to work

Post by GVR4-308 »

No entry found for floccinauccinihilipilification.

Did you mean floccinaucinihilipilification?

1 entry found for floccinaucinihilipilification.

Main Entry: floccinaucinihilipilification
Function: noun
Definition: an act or instance of judging something to be worthless or trivial
Etymology: the parts of the word each mean 'at nothing' or 'with a small price'

Yeah, so I'm bored.
Jack
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Well, floccinauccinihilipilification is how we Americans spell it, the Brits spell it floccinaucinihilipilification and the French spell it suckoursweatynutzyoulowlifegoodfornuttinamericans. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Oh, btw, sorry for highjacking your thread. :shs:
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

elzorro wrote:Oh, btw, sorry for highjacking your thread. :shs:
:pokey: :numchucks: :rant:

:lol:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
GVR4-308
I walk to work

Post by GVR4-308 »

Jack
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I have been following the SCC Project STi and they have had nothing but problems upgrading the suspensions of both the STi and EVO to get better handleing. The Praxxis set-up turned out to be a major pain in the ass, and in the end, there were almost no performance improvements over the stock set-up. They also tried a spring and shoch set-up for the EVO that didn't improve on the original (though I can't recall what it was). There does seem to be one piece in common with both that is really worth doing. Adding a bigger rear sway bar does tend to improve the performance overall. Both gained .03g on the skidpad from the larger rear swaybar, and they claim that lap times improved as well.

Clearly, an awesome set of coil-overs will improve handleing overall, but they have to be set-up right and dialed in perfectly or you may never get out of them what they are capable of. Think serious cost of money and time here.

I would also be a bit wary of just throwing on a set of lowering springs. You may gain in one area while sacrificeing in another.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Strut bars make a slight difference, (I have both F and R) Springs CAN make a difference (depends on brand, rate, etc) and I would ONLY do a rear bar in an STi. The truth is most drivers prefer more neutral handling, or even slightly biased towards oversteer. Oversteer is a proven advantage particularly in autocross where rotation has a very high value. It's certainly more fun to drive that way. So to sum up, I would go with F&R strut bars, and a rear sway. You're gonna spend the money anyway, it's the path of the helpless modder... Stay away from the front sway unless you actually enjoy understeer. Blech.... Just my .02USD. YMMV...bla bla bla. Back to my vanilla kernel.

colin
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Thanks for the input guys :) I think that a R SwB and R strut bar (already have the front) are the way to go. I really can't complain about my handling, but there always seems to be room for improvement :) These will probably go on order after my EM comes in.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
FT_SELGP
I'm a n000b

Post by FT_SELGP »

I would disagree with the rear-only anti-roll bar and rear strut bar.

The purpose is to increase the front grip first. The STi has tendency to snap-oversteer under power and body roll is too much. A front anti-roll bar actually helps in improving the front grip and bringing it to a more neutral handling state. However, with the stock suspension setup or simple spring upgrades, a front and rear anti-roll bar is even a better option.

I would stay away from the rear strut tower bar on a WRX-platform sedan.
FT
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

FT_SELGP wrote:I would disagree with the rear-only anti-roll bar and rear strut bar.
The purpose is to increase the front grip first. The STi has tendency to snap-oversteer under power and body roll is too much. A front anti-roll bar actually helps in improving the front grip and bringing it to a more neutral handling state. However, with the stock suspension setup or simple spring upgrades, a front and rear anti-roll bar is even a better option.
Interesting point of view. I've never had my rear come out (except when it's wet) but I have definitely felt the front give way a little.
FT_SELGP wrote:I would stay away from the rear strut tower bar on a WRX-platform sedan.
Why is this? I have the front and I presumed that the rear would help the stiffness back there.

What anti-roll bars do you all recommend? FT, could you give me an idea on $$?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
FT_SELGP
I'm a n000b

Post by FT_SELGP »

60% of weight being in the front, chassis stiffness is most vulnerable there. The rear does not flex much. With the rear strut bar, I personally and couple of other drivers felt that it makes the whole chassis more bumpy especially under hard breaking on irregular surfaces. Obviously, I am talking more from track experience than street driving, but it is also evident on the street.

I would highly recommend the Cobb or Hotchkis sport anti-roll bar kit, they are $350 a set, front and rear. Later you might want to think of Hotchkis adjustable end-links as well, which are roughly $140-150 range.

If you have not seen our test on front anti-roll bar few months ago, take a look as to why say it will help front grip ;): http://www.selgp.com/sti_modifications.htm
FT
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

FT_SELGP wrote:60% of weight being in the front, chassis stiffness is most vulnerable there. The rear does not flex much. With the rear strut bar, I personally and couple of other drivers felt that it makes the whole chassis more bumpy especially under hard breaking on irregular surfaces. Obviously, I am talking more from track experience than street driving, but it is also evident on the street.

I would highly recommend the Cobb or Hotchkis sport anti-roll bar kit, they are $350 a set, front and rear. Later you might want to think of Hotchkis adjustable end-links as well, which are roughly $140-150 range.

If you have not seen our test on front anti-roll bar few months ago, take a look as to why say it will help front grip ;): http://www.selgp.com/sti_modifications.htm
Thanks alot for the info. BTW, I love your testing methology, it appeals to the engineer in me :) I'll hopefully be calling you in the next month or two to order these!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
FT_SELGP
I'm a n000b

Post by FT_SELGP »

My pleasure, call any time :)
FT
Willy24
I'm a n000b

Post by Willy24 »

I got the Cobb F/R Anti-Sway bars from FT and have been very happy with them. They did not cause any problems (rougher ride, etc...), and definitely helped limit the body roll on both the street and at Summit Point.
04 Blue/Gold STi - Cobb AP Stage 2, TurboXS TBE (Catted), K&N Typhoon Intake, Grounding Kit, Cobb F&R Anti-Sway Bars, Cobb SS Brake Lines, Porterfield R4 Track Pads, Alpine 7998, MB Quart 6.5", 2 JL Audio 10" Subs, JL 500/1 & 300/4