front sway install

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

front sway install

Post by Mr Kleen »

I installed a Perrin adjustable front sway bar and Kartboy endlinks on the WRX today. I won't go into the harry details (Google is your friend :wink: ) but suffice to say that it isn't super complicated and can be done solo if you can hold the weight of the front subframe with your head while under the car. :rolllaugh: a breaker bar is nice to have to break the bolts loose but they don't have to be torqued down super tight when you're finished. the only thing that really tripped me up was removing the stock endlinks. the bolt that attaches the endlinks to the car and the sway have a hex key in the end so you can hold them while turning the nut. this might be easier to expain in person, after washing the car and installing the sway I'm beat. :oops:

I went for a little shake-down run afterward and there doesn't seem to be any binding issues. I can't really say that the handling has improved until the AutoX class later this month. I'm REALLY looking forward to the class now... :mrgreen:

oh, does anybody want an 04 WRX sedan stock front sway with endlinks? free to a good home. :P
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: front sway install

Post by thermobox »

sure. i'll take it. i'm gonna have a frankenstein leggy with all the clubs throw aways. :lol:
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'll bring it to the next meet.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Congrats Gabe :) I definitely want to hear how things have changed (handling wise) during the AutoX class!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

thermobox wrote:sure. i'll take it. i'm gonna have a frankenstein leggy with all the clubs throw aways. :lol:
QFT.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

now I've got a serious clunk in the front end. it happens pretty infrequently but is bad enough that I notice every time. doesn't do it in corners at all. usually happens while braking at low speeds or accelerating at low speeds (parking lots). guess I will have to climb under the car tomorrow and double check everything... :?
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

What did you cover the bushings with? I typically use teflon tape and layer it up on the bar an inch in each direction of the mount. Kills squeaks dead ;)

For a while anyways...
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

this isn't a squeek. :(
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

sorry, i meant klunks as well...

was there any tension on the bar when you tightened it all up? Or was the car jacked up on one side?
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

she was up on ramps, no tension on the bar. :ugh: I wonder if the skid plate is a contributing factor?
hmmm, going to have to climb under there and check it out...
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I am present for an assist.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Zak and I tightened up the end link bolts quite a bit. I sure hope I don't want to switch the bar to "stiff" any time soon :lol: but in a quick test drive the clunking seems much better. more news as it develops...