Strut top mount when doing springs?

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Strut top mount when doing springs?

Post by Mr Kleen »

I've got my springs already but was wondering if I should do the strut top mounts at the same time? I don't have the top mounts yet.

only checked one site but I really didn't expect them to be $325. guess I'm just a cheap skate...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I think it depends on what you'd like to get out of you car's handling. If you autox regularly or track regularly - you should probably be considering coilovers for that kinda money.

Would I recommend the money be spent on F&R swaybars/endlinks first - yes.

Do the hardened top-hats make a difference. Yes. Less squishy compliance = more concrete alignment settings. But there's definitely a ride trade off with increased NVH. I wouldn't want to keep my coffee in my lap (while driving, you pervs) with stiffer springs and hardned top-hats. ;)

I think the stock 04WRX struts work quite well with springs that are slightly stiffer than stock. I ran the H-techs for over a year in my WRX and was very pleased with the increase in handling.

I'd say if you already have the springs and you've got swaybars and endlinks AND you can stomach the money - go for it. Sometimes you'll get lucky and score a pair cheap from teh Mid-A for about half that...

Hope this helps.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

that's all I needed to hear. I'll forgo the strut top mounts at this time. Betty is my daily [only] driver and I've already made a bunch of concessions to performance as it is. I have some Kartboy rear endlinks but no sway bar yet. I had a deal worked out with a guy from NASIOC but things sort of fizzled out. I might just go for it and order a rear bar so I can get all my suspension work done at one time. for now I'll leave the stock front sway and see how it goes next track day or autocross school day. on with the H-Techs! anybody want to help? :wink:
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

the Perrin adjustable 22mm rear sway is $180 and the Progress adjustable 22mm rear sway is $175. any difference? I already have some Perrin parts on the car so I guess I'm leaning that way, but then again they sure aren't giving me any sponsorship.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

SelGP was selling cusco front and rear sway bars for 166, which is a great price (and he's local too!). Site looks to be down, but usually you can find it here:
http://www.selgp.com/
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

sabre wrote:SelGP was selling cusco front and rear sway bars for 166, which is a great price (and he's local too!). Site looks to be down, but usually you can find it here:
http://www.selgp.com/
do the Cusco rears come with the heavy duty mounts like the Perrin bar does? if he's local, how can I get in touch with him directly since his site appears to be down? even with tax, $166 would be cheaper (and I could have it in my grubby little hands this weekend!) than the Perrin bar.
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Selgp is gone....out of business.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I'm not sure if they come with the heavy duty mounts or not truthfully. I've been looking into these, just have not a had a chance to finalize :)
hotsam wrote:Selgp is gone....out of business.
THAT SUCKS! He was a good guy :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Good guys rarely make good businessmen. Long live Andrew!
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

zaxrex wrote:Good guys rarely make good businessmen. Long live Andrew!
Well, he sort of disappeared and didn't tell anyone. Left a bunch of people (including myself) high and dry. His Cobb business has been split between myself and Racecomp.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

hotsam wrote:
zaxrex wrote:Good guys rarely make good businessmen. Long live Andrew!
Well, he sort of disappeared and didn't tell anyone. Left a bunch of people (including myself) high and dry. His Cobb business has been split between myself and Racecomp.
Sorry to hear that Sam :( He was a nice guy to us!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI