Find me a rear sway bar...

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Find me a rear sway bar...

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Alright I'm looking for a rear sway bar. Wanted to get some feedback from everyone. Im looking for something for the street maybe a few auto x passes. Something to get rid of some of my body roll. Should I go solid or hollow? 22mm, 23mm, ......? adjustable or non? I have an 06 so I think I have the aluminum endlinks so I dont think I need endlinks.

Thanks for the input guys.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Gruppe-S has the Cusco 22mm Rear (3-way Adjustable) for $155 shipped. It's what I have on mine (granted, i got mine used) and I've had no problems with it.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subsus.htm
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

drwrx wrote:Gruppe-S has the Cusco 22mm Rear (3-way Adjustable) for $155 shipped. It's what I have on mine (granted, i got mine used) and I've had no problems with it.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subsus.htm
:plusone:

I say go cheap.

Since they are all essentially steel bars, and most have similar ~200% stiffness over stock, you might not notice the difference between aftermarket bars, but you will notice the difference over stock.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:plusone: Adjustable is nice so that you can find what's right for you and your driving style.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

my cobb adjustable rsb has been great.

fyi, i bent a stock sti rear endlink 90 degrees though with it set on the 'softest' setting. you might wanna think about stronger links.
Last edited by chicken n waffles on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

:plusone: go cheap and get stronger endlinks.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

after about 3-4 months of waiting, i finnally found a 20mm RSB from an 02 wrx. picking it up sat. dunno how wagons are, but since i have some stiff ass springs, i decided to go with a stock replacement. +3mm though, so i should feel a diff even with stock endlinks
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I'm just reinterating the above, but if there is any way possible, try to replace the endlinks at the same time. If money is tight, forget I said it, but eventually you are going to want to replace the endlinks. The WRX ones are known to be a little on the weak side. When you add the additional strain of a stronger RSB, the endlinks can crack/break.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sabre wrote:I'm just reinterating the above, but if there is any way possible, try to replace the endlinks at the same time. If money is tight, forget I said it, but eventually you are going to want to replace the endlinks. The WRX ones are known to be a little on the weak side. When you add the additional strain of a stronger RSB, the endlinks can crack/break.
+1 on getting better rear endlinks. The stockers are doodoo. Just get a set of KB (or comparable) rear endlinks, install them, and forget about them. Goodbye worrying about rear endlinks! :wink:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Well I think i'll wait to put the cusco bar on. My b day is in a few weeks so i'll get some kartboys.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

sorry about that guys, i didnt realized how late i was with the reply/bump. i plan on getting KB end links when my stock ones break.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

wrxSIN wrote:sorry about that guys, i didnt realized how late i was with the reply/bump. i plan on getting KB end links when my stock ones break.
and if (when) they fail during (spirited) driving?
replace them when you do the bar. you're already under there and your car may thank you later... :wink:
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

Mr Kleen wrote:
wrxSIN wrote:sorry about that guys, i didnt realized how late i was with the reply/bump. i plan on getting KB end links when my stock ones break.
and if (when) they fail during (spirited) driving?
replace them when you do the bar. you're already under there and your car may thank you later... :wink:
i should but i need to stop spending money on my car lol :cry: my plan soon is to replace as they break =) aka things like stock struts.i cant find end links for cheap..like less than 75 so yeah
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Just ordered some Kartboy end links for $100 shipped from IAG Performance in MD. Best deal I could find. Might be here by Saturday so I might try the install on Sunday if I can track down some ramps.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

If you've got a floorjack, jack up the rear pumpkin and both ends of the rear swaybar will hang loose in their fully extended (read: no pressure) positions.

Makes the jerb a snap.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I did my rear sway on ramps IIRC.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Yeah the car is alittle to low to work under it. So I was thinking ramps and the jack on the pumpkin.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

the good news is that installing a rsb is relatively simple and plenty of folks are willing to lend a hand if needed.
-Ben
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Looks like I will have my endlinks today. Anyone up for a swaybar install this weekend???
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:Looks like I will have my endlinks today. Anyone up for a swaybar install this weekend???
If the weather holds out, I'd prolly be down. I've got lateral links and sway I need to install.

(along with a turbo, up-pipe, tmic, fuel pump, heat shield, ecu reflash, auto-dimming mirror, carputer, a/v nav system, etc... Boy, I've got a lot of work to do! )
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Sounds like we need to make something happen. I also have the Mach V lip I need to get around to installing.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

depending on where, i would like to put on my down pipe and RSB this weekend
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Got my endlinks from IAG. They even sent me some free piggy decals. Sweet. If anyone wants to do some instal day type thing call me at 571-527-7300.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Did the install at the Ft. Myer Auto shop. All I have to say is wow. That has got to be my fav mod. I can believe the difference in handling now. No roll and my confidence has sky rocketed. Definately should be factory like this.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

Da*n you people. :( KB no longer makes parts for the Protege and I had to take off my big fat RSB to run in stock class for autox.... I love(d) my 21.5mm AWR bar w/ adjustable endlinks....