Just installed: Tein S-Techs on Evo VIII

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

nrcooled
I'm a n000b

Just installed: Tein S-Techs on Evo VIII

Post by nrcooled »

Installation is pretty straight forward. Ran into no problems with getting the springs on. Most of the PITA was attributed to removal and reinstallation of the spring/strut assembly. Fortunately I had two other grease monkeys with me so we were doing two wheels at the same time.

Neccessary tools:
Deep Sockets and ratchet set
1/2" Breaker Bar and WD40
combination wrenches
spring comressors
some time to kill
a couple of friends don't hurt either

removal of the rear strut/spring:
1. Jack up car and remove wheel (that's pretty self explanitory)

2. there is one 17mm bolt and nut on the bottom of the strut connecting it to the hub. WD40 that badboy and loosen (do not remove yet)

3. remove the lining from the sides of the trunk. they are held in with clips be careful because they are expensive to replace and easy to break

4. remove the two nuts from the top of the strut holding it to the strut tower.

5. remove bottom bolt from step 2 and take assembly out

removing spring from strut: note--count the amount of threads exposed on the shock piston rod to make sure that when you put the new spring on it has the same amount of threads showing when reassembled (for me the front was 5 and rear was 8 )

6. use your spring compressors and compress the spring unitl you can spin the spring while it is in the shock (spring will not be putting pressure on the perches)

7. use a cressent wrench to hold the shock piston and a 17mm combo wrench to remove the nut

8. remove the top mount then remove the spring

9. place new spring on perch compress and reverse steps 6-8 and place shock/spring combo back in vehicle

Removing front shock/spring combo

1. remove the front wheels (again pretty self explainatory)

2. loosen the three bolts holding the strut/spring assembly to the shock tower in the engine bay (if you cannot find the strut tower put your tools away and proceed to smacking yourself)

3. remove the two bolts holding the bottom of the shock to the hub - WD40 is a must for these along with a breaker bar)

4. use a jack to brace the hub assembly to avoid yanking out the half-shaft from the tranny (cause that's bad, ummmkay)

5. disconnect the brake lines and ABS lines from the holders on the shock body (brake lines are held in with a clip that will need to be popped out)

6. now remove the three nuts on the top of the shock tower and remove assembly

Removing the spring is the same proceedure as the rear except you don't need to hold the shock piston w/ a cressent wrench use a 17mm deep-socket to get the nut off. Just compress spring remove, compress new spring replace

RESUTS:

The Tein S-Tech springs give the car a much better feel. Quicker transitions, faster cornering speeds and more responsive adjustments.

Remember that trail-braking and lift-throttle oversteer will be reduced due to the fact that fore and aft movements of the car will be minimized because of the lower center of gravity and reduced pitching of the car. I can still induce oversteer but my actions to do so are exageratted to get the same amount of oversteer (rotation)

Overall I love the springs and I am very happy about the purchase. For $149 from AMSTuning.com it's unbeatable.

Pics:

Last edited by nrcooled on Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Looks awesome! I'd love to do some suspension work on the Forester, but I actually like the ride height (it's not a car but it's not a minivan). Maybe a setup like Keefe's Legacy GT...
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
GVR4-308
I walk to work

Post by GVR4-308 »

Looks very nice! I've been a fan of Tein since I put their SS adjustable suspension on my Honduh Prelude. Makes the car handle like a beast. I'll have to see if I can find a set of the HA's to put on the galant though they are rare since they stopped producing them. :-(

I also like how on number 5. you got a little 8) when you didn't want one. Might wanna space that out so you get the 8 ) lol

Zorro, don't worry about the ride height, you can always say it's so you can go rally. :twisted:
Jack
GVR4-308
I walk to work

Post by GVR4-308 »

eep! Double post!
Last edited by GVR4-308 on Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack
nrcooled
I'm a n000b

Post by nrcooled »

I also like how on number 5. you got a little when you didn't want one. Might wanna space that out so you get the 8 ) lol
Thanks, I didn't even realize that.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Nice write up! Mind if we use it in the Review/How to section? Or may a sticky :)

Thanks Bakari!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.