Pads, SS Lines, Fluid

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Pads, SS Lines, Fluid

Post by Mr Kleen »

OK, I've changed my share of brake pads but I've never replaced brake lines or drained fluid. how difficult is it and can it be done in the parking lot of my apartment building before a maintenance van shows up to read me the riot act for working on my car in the parking lot?

(where are you SUPPOSED to work on your car if you live in an apartment building??? if I had a garage, I wouldn't need to be in the parking lot in the first place! :evil: /end rant)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

yes, you *can* do lines and fluid on your own. bleeding is ususally a two person job unless you have speed bleeders. you will need a container to catch the old fluid and plenty of rags to catch the old stuff. it's going to be a little messy and not something you're going to be able to finish in an hour. if you can, you might want to hold off until you can either get space in a garage or when we do another install meet. I've been considering doing the same with my car, so if you can stand to wait a month or so we can probably knock 'em both out at the same time. believe me i know exactly what you mean about not having a garage... so far it's the only downside of living in old town that i've come across. pm me if you want more detailed info re: lines, pads and fluid. :)

colin
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Funny you all should mention this... I'm up for my 36k maitinance aka, fluid change. I've done the rear diff, so all I need to do is coolant, brake (want to put blue in possibly) and tranny. Wonder if we could make this into a install day of some sort... Thoughts?
BTW, called the dealership on this. To do the above, plus rotate tires, replace PCV valve, fuel filter and a oil change they want... drum roll please.... $600!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Oh, forgot to mention this. Bob (Blue Evo dude) at the last meet said that ?NMO? did all the fluid changes for like $200.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I will HAVE to hold off for a while, things have been pretty hectic lately and I won't really have any time for a couple weeks. Henry offered to do the install for $150 and that's less than half of what Mach V wanted... the pads don't really *need* changing for a while, so I'll wait. I'm thinking I might go all out and do springs and sway bar too. and, and, and... :wink: yeah, I'm down for an install party.
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

Good lord, a couple of people can easily get all that done in a day.

I'm up for brake work on others' cars anyday, just as long as I don't already have plans on that weekend or something. The SS lines and refilling the system will be the hardest and longest part of it. And if you can wait, maybe try looking for speedbleeders to aid in the process of filling the brake system. Makes the job a 1 person deal with a catch can to collect the spent fluid.

And I just wish changing the pads was as easy as it is in Porsche's. Unclip top, pull out spent pads, drop in new pads, reclip, bed in pads and voila!

AJ
Cage: '98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, caged Uncaged: '05 Suzuki SV650S
'03 Forester XS, Team Grocery Getter