Subaru 4 Pot....Help!

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

BlkSaabaru4Me
I'm a n000b

Subaru 4 Pot....Help!

Post by BlkSaabaru4Me »

So I just purchased a pair of Subaru 4 pot front brakes from a 06 WRX. They look to be in pretty good cosmetically as they came off a car with only about 50K miles. One of the calipers (driver's side I believe) was seized up and the owner decided to buy 2 new front calipers as opposed to having it fixed. I want to tear these calipers down and possibly repaint them and rebuild them with new seals.

But....I've never actually rebuilt a set of calipers before. :( So I was wondering if anyone in the community had any experience doing this and if they wanted to lend a hand. It doesn't have to be done over night or even over the course of a weekend. I've got time and am not in a rush to get these put on, my current brakes are fine.

So is there anyone in the community that would like to lend a hand and or teach me how to do this? If so I'd be happy to pay for your time or supply your choice of alcohol in return. If you can provide the necessary, space, tools, and knowledge then I'll supply the calipers, rebuild kit, and/or booze/payment.

Not sure if this is the correct place for asking for help or not but any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys!
DD- 05' Saab 9-2x Aero Stg. 2
Track- 91' Nissan 180SX SR20DET Stg. 2+
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Subaru 4 Pot....Help!

Post by ElZorro »

Never done it before, sorry!
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sadly you are outside my level of expertise as well.
Never rebuilt a set of brakes before.
BlkSaabaru4Me
I'm a n000b

Post by BlkSaabaru4Me »

Here's a pic of one of the calipers. I'm gonna clean them up this week and order the rebuild kit. I haven't done this before either guys so don't feel bad but I'm always interested in learning how to do something new. Just a little scared to tackle this on my own, and doubtful I would have all the tools needed. I got a quote for $270 to rebuild these and install them. Which is pretty damn tempting.

Anyone else?

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I've never done a rebuild myself, but I really don't think it would be too difficult.

Sadly, I have no time to help you out :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

here's a pretty decent walkthrough with pics - nasioc linky.

i haven't had to rebuild my 4pots yet, but when the time comes, i'm starting with this guide. i'd offer to help, but i'm a bit further out than you are. B-)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
BlkSaabaru4Me
I'm a n000b

Post by BlkSaabaru4Me »

Thanks for the link complacent. I actually ran across that same thread earlier this week. Its a great write-up and makes me think this shouldn't be much of a hassle. I'll report back on how it went and try to take some pics if anyone is interested. Thanks again guys.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I have a fail proof three-step method of removing stuck pistons if compressed air does not work. Anything above 30 psi scares me if the piston decides to come flying out.
1) Use of wooden dowel: Get a round dowel slightly larger that the inner diameter of the piston. Rub the end of the dowel at a very shallow angle along concrete, brick, or other abrasive surface (read - bench grinder, angle grinder, disc sander) while rotating the dowel to produce an even slow taper. Using a C-clamp with pivoting head as a guide, cut just enough of the towel end off so that it can be fit into the piston hole and still accommodate the head of the clamp. Squeeze the crap out of the clamp to force the wood into the piston. Take slip jaw pliers and grab onto the wood and ROTATE the piston to break any seizure. Remove clamp. You should now be able to pull the piston out.
If not, on to step two - thermal cracking
2) Since you have by now popped the wooden dowel off of the piston, clean the inside of the piston with isopropyl alcohol, brake cleaner, or other evaporative de-greaser. Fill the piston 1/4 full of water, insert dowel plug and again clamp down. Wrap caliper in multiple layers of plastic bags and place in freezer (or risk the whole damned fridge smelling brake fluid) with the caliper positioned so that the dowel is at the bottom of the piston with the water trying to 'leak out'. Allow to freeze overnight.
Between the piston/seals shrinking from the cold and the extra adhesive between the dowel and piston from the water, you should be able to ROTATE and crack the cyl free.
No? Time to smoke up...
3) Take a Banz-o-matic torch (or butane cigar lighter) to the inside of the piston and heat it up 'till the seals start smoking, hey you are going to replace them anyway, right? Use compressed air or method #1 to effect removal.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:ya:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
BlkSaabaru4Me
I'm a n000b

Post by BlkSaabaru4Me »

No easy feet but I got them done. 1 Piston was seized so bad that I did have to take it to a shop to get out. After they told me what they did to get it out I was glad I didn't attempt to do it myself. Probably woulda blown off a finger or two. Either way they are on the car now and performing great!
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:nana:
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

nice! what pads did you go with?