so i decided to replace the rear wheel bearings in the RS...

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

supasixfo
Bicycle

so i decided to replace the rear wheel bearings in the RS...

Post by supasixfo »

and discovered that pre-2006 subies don't come with assembled bearings/hubs. $200 for bearing parts/seals. COME ON SUBARU?! really?! so i start taking apart the rear when i ... discovered that the trailing arm bolt is completely seized to bushings is seized to the lateral arms, you know what i'm talking about. that "big -ass bolt". well, that sucks, i guess i have to cut the bolt now and replace the bushings, except it's REPLACING BUSHINGS. EFF that ish (Electronic Frontier Foundation). i use the RS as a daily driver unlike the people on rs25.com which apparently like to remove, bush, and dip their lateral arms for funsies. new lateral arms it is. $250.

While i'm cutting the bolt, i need to un-rust the other bolts holding the lateral arms to the subframe. can't find them on rockauto, guess i need to go to the stealership LAWLAWLAWL $106 in bolts.

luckily, we have a press in the garage and i'm picking up a bearing puller. but i guess, while i'm back there, i might as well replace the brake shoes, and if we're re-doing the brake shoes, this might also be a good time to ...

STI SWAP STI SWAP STI SWAP.

This is how all my "should i fix it?" conversations go with the RS...
Alvin
Black Box rally team
Our blog: http://www.blackboxrally.com
Like us: http://www.facebook.com/blackboxrally
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: so i decided to replace the rear wheel bearings in the R

Post by ElZorro »

Wow man. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

LMAO, DO IT...

I have to say, my experiences with the L have been nothing short of great. The STI too has been easish to work on, except for things I caused, lol.

Just replaced my first wheel bearing on the STI at 179k. I took it to a shop, lol.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

bearings are definitely on my list of "nope.jpg, straight to the shop with you!"
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Yeah, had to replace one front left bearing at 60K and now a right rear is going at 99.6K.
Me no touchy
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears