stop me if you've heard this before...

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

LLTS1
I'm a n000b

stop me if you've heard this before...

Post by LLTS1 »

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/seven-ne ... to-4858449

Maybe the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Can't wait until it's made affordable.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: stop me if you've heard this before...

Post by zaxrex »

I do say!
That is interesting and geeky, but I have my initial reservations and questions.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
LLTS1
I'm a n000b

Post by LLTS1 »

Care to share your reservations or what you can see as potential problems?
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

failure mode is one. I guess with steel, it loses it spring and at worst, cracks. wonder what the path is on that? shatter?
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Yeah, composites are strong in tensile strength, but have a very low headroom for yield strength. This results in rapid and energetic disassociation. Worst thing with steel blend springs is that they can pancake when their compression values are exceeded and no longer support a load, but at least keep things together.

Also, what about impact resistance? I would hazard a guess that when you run over some road debris and it kicks up into the wheel well, the plastic/fiberglass that is already under torsional load would not fare as well as half inch coil of steel.

Last thing that comes to mind would be material properties with temperature changes and what of heat cycling on durability?

I'm sure all of these things are addressed in the engineering of the things, but none of that was in the article.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Very cool idea.

People probably said the same thing about aluminum and carbon fiber, but both can be found in today's cars in abundance. Like Zak and Dan said, though, I bet there is a TON of R&D that when in to finding the right formula. With that being said, I wouldn't be the first to try it either, but I'll look at it in 2-3 years :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ResidentR
I'm a n000b

Post by ResidentR »

That is very neat technology, but I'd be afraid of how well it ages with use and abuse, and what happens when it fails.