underestimated the ice last night

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

FreddyG
Bicycle

underestimated the ice last night

Post by FreddyG »

went around a corner last night a little to fast and hit the curb, rim still works with major curb rash but i noticed now my wheel alignment is slightly off. Is this a big problem? should i pay to get this fixed?
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: underestimated the ice last night

Post by Sabre »

Best case scenario: You have a little curb rash. Worst: You bent your control arm and damaged you rim.

I have a feeling that you just knocked your car out of alignment. Best thing to do is take it to a Subaru dealer (Don Beyer I would trust!) and have them realign it and check the control arm.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
FreddyG
Bicycle

Post by FreddyG »

thanks for the word of wisdom again julian :)
- USAF Ammo Troop
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

By wheel alighnment do you mean the steering wheel isn't straight when the wheels are, or do you mean the car doesn't track striaght? If the car isn't tracking straight, it is a wheel alighnment issue that will require going on a rack. If the steering wheel isn't straight with the wheels, you likely jolted the steering rack. That could be very cheap and easy, or quite pricey depending on the scenario. Either way, you will need to have a shop look at it.

Don't feel too bad, everyone who drives in inclimate weather has done something like this at some point.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Yep, last time I did this was in my Prelude. I got lucky and knocked the aligment out.

I noticed my customers 2012MY WRX on the lift the other day. He did the same antics in the ice. The rim wasn't straight on the car. The tech was kind of scratching his head as to what component took the abuse. I noticed straight away that he had bent the rear subframe where the Lateral Link mounts.

Definately get it on a lift to see if there is anything outta whack. If all is good have the alignment done.
FreddyG
Bicycle

Post by FreddyG »

the steering wheel just isnt straight i thought that was an alignment issue? cuz the car seems to still drive straight no pulling to either side
- USAF Ammo Troop
ResidentR
I'm a n000b

Post by ResidentR »

It's really hard to tell exactly what happened until you can get the car on a lift and have a good look around. I hope the car is ok, it doesn't sound too bad, and a dealer should be able to set you straight again.

I saw a G35 coupe today that looked like it slid around and bumped a curb too, but it's left rear wheel was probably 20 degrees of positive camber and about that much toe out, the tire squealing as he was driving it down 29 today.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Any alighment shop with a rack can tell you if you are out.
The steering wheel may be as simple as shifting the column or may require a steering rack adjustment.
FreddyG
Bicycle

Post by FreddyG »

yea i got on it today probably 100 or so just to see if it vibrated and i felt no vibration at all, so i think its just a steering column issue, but i hit the back wheel not the front idk how that would knock the steering wheel out of alignment
- USAF Ammo Troop
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

FreddyG wrote:but i hit the back wheel not the front idk how that would knock the steering wheel out of alignment
That throws my theories out the window. Unless you had the wheels locked in one direction and managed to lift the front off the ground on the impact (thereby unloading the suspension and steering rack) and when it landed the stering wheel was still locked right (or left) while the wheels and rack had turned left slightly while unloaded. I haven't looked closely enough at a Subaru steering rack to know if this is possible.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Ya, I assumed it was the front too. Best to get it looked at!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
FreddyG
Bicycle

Post by FreddyG »

got it checked out today by don beyer real quick today it was just an alignment issue nothing else is wrong thank god
- USAF Ammo Troop
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:nana: Very happy to hear!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI