suspension, part 3

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

suspension, part 3

Post by Mr Kleen »

Thank you for ordering from Oakos Automotive.

You will receive a shipment confirmation email to notify you when your order has been shipped.
ordered a Progress Adjustable Rear Sway Bar to go with my Kartboy endlinks and Tien springs. now to find struts and install everything...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

w00t! have a nana... :nana:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

N-I-C-E :) Let us know when they come in!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

the sway bar is on it's way. not sure when I'll get the shocks. I'm going to install the sway and endlinks ASAP, but the springs will have to wait till I get the shocks. still researching that one: the KYB AGX units are manufactured for the 02 - 03 and the Koni units are almost double the price.

anybody have any experience installing a rear sway? i have ramps and tools but no place to do the install (sound familiar?)
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Mr Kleen wrote: anybody have any experience installing a rear sway? i have ramps and tools but no place to do the install (sound familiar?)
its simple do you have endlinks as well? ramp it up (you want load on the suspension because it makes it 12345 times easier. First unbolt the sway from the endlinks, then unbolt the retainers from ther car. Install new sway (not unbolting the endlinks yet makes it easier to line up the new sway). Then (if you are doing endlinks) remove endlinks, install new ones.

Its painless, you should not have any problems at all.

oh and :pics: :)

after this all the STi guys are going to have a hard time keeping up in the corners :)
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote: anybody have any experience installing a rear sway? i have ramps and tools but no place to do the install (sound familiar?)
Yeah, it is easy to do. What mm is your new sway and does it come w/ new mounts and hardware?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

it's the 22mm - 24mm adjustable Progress bar. I have Kartboy endlinks and the bar comes with new brackets and bushings. I have the instructions from Progress, it looks pretty simple (much simpler than the DP install, that's for sure) but it's nice to have somebody there who can say "yeah, that's the way mine installed."
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

When I installed my STi sway bar w/ new mounts, I never took off the rear wheels...just had the car up on ramps and never rolled it back and forth at the end to settle it, just drove home.

If you want to do this, just let me know. I don't have a garage but we can use any flat parking lot...shouldn't take that long.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Wow, you are really moving fast on all this! When you get a thing in your head you really DO it. Major kudos. I still haven't installed my 22mm sway bar that I bought almost a year ago

Have you made a decision on struts yet? I did a bunch of searches on "that other site" and found lots of 04/05 WRXs using KYB AGX. Apparently you can add washers or switch tophats, although I have seen a bunch of posts that claim they "didn't do either and haven't had any issues for X many miles."
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

getting ready for driving season! I bought the springs used, got the endlinks on sale, and the sway is my Christmas present from dad, mom & step dad (they each give me money if you're wondering how that works). I figure I can install the sway/endlinks in the coming weeks if the weather holds. the springs and struts.... that will take some more investigation. (thanks for the help in that department as well)

Cliff Notes: $175 for a sway is easy when you got $200 for Christmas. $450 for shocks that may or may not meet my standards OR $800+ for Koni inserts is quite another. :lol:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Struts and springs are easy with spring compressors (See Colin ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

sabre wrote:Struts and springs are easy with spring compressors (See Colin ;)
Uh, actually I think it is Ben's but right now I have them :oops: I need to get those FSTi pink springs on that are sitting in my basement waiting for me :( maybe we can do the springs at the same time :D

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

i'm waiting till i have springs AND struts to install. not going through the trouble twice. i've done the install on my 2k Si but I had access to a lift and compressor back then...
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

You still have access to a compressor, just let me know when... not the rest of you, just Gabe.

Middle school report card
Little Nields has shown that he has a hard time interacting socially with the other students when it comes to sharing toys in the playground....
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Scheduled Delivery: 01/12/2006
8)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Soon all you will need is a BBK, larger turbo, injectors and fuel pump and mmmmmmm!

Sorry, I have to pass along my illness to others. I'm just sharing the love.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

adjustable shocks, sound system upgrade, suede covered stock steering wheel, leather interior (with heated rear seats), oil cooler... I have plenty of things on my plate but more power isn't one of them. :wink:
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:I have plenty of things on my plate but more power isn't one of them.
You don't know the power of the Dark Side!

I have a vf22 I would sell cheap. . . :D
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^^ Let me know what oil cooler you're going to go with. I've thought of doing the one that attaches where the oil filter goes. You can also get oil temp/pressure easily then :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
ButtDyno
I walk to work

Post by ButtDyno »

Mr Kleen wrote:oil cooler...
You realize the car already has one, right?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... st10683904
http://www.spdusa.com/new_page_8.htm

john
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

ButtDyno wrote:
Mr Kleen wrote:oil cooler...
You realize the car already has one, right?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... st10683904
http://www.spdusa.com/new_page_8.htm

john
Which is perfectly fine for the stock power levels but if you want bigger numbers you need a bigger cooler. :wink:

ButtDyno
I walk to work

Post by ButtDyno »

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... hlight=lap

If that guy can get through One Lap (~10 consecutive track events) with an FPGreen without an oil cooler my guess is that you don't *need* one unless you are going to be tracking the car, and tracking the car HARD... he said he was fine for 5-9 laps and possibly more, which will take you through most 20-25 minute HPDE sessions.

(up to you of course, just saying :) )
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

ButtDyno wrote:http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... hlight=lap

If that guy can get through One Lap (~10 consecutive track events) with an FPGreen without an oil cooler my guess is that you don't *need* one unless you are going to be tracking the car, and tracking the car HARD... he said he was fine for 5-9 laps and possibly more, which will take you through most 20-25 minute HPDE sessions.

(up to you of course, just saying :) )

yea, but oil cooler just look cool ;) and when did you start posting back here, stranger.
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Best thing w/ a turbo car is keeping it cool. I will eventually upgrade to a performance radiator w/ high pressure radiator cap, performance thermostat, water wetter, and aftermarket oil cooler...maybe one day down the road I would upgrade to a FMIC but I would like to still be w/ my wife b/c I love...so I won't push my luck w/ mods. :wink: