Brakes for the L

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Brakes for the L

Post by Sabre »

So, I'm gathering parts for the L project and have started looking at my braking options. My first thought was "Just grab a set of OEM STI Brembo's and go", but I've quickly learned that is a $1500 project! It looks like there are a couple of different options available to me. Here are a couple:

STI Brembo - 4 POT calipers, DBA rotors - $2200
Kido - 6 POT, 14" Kido rotors - $1700
Wilwood - 32lbs. of weight savings, forged 4-piston caliper, 11.75” vented rotors, SS lines - $2000
Stoptech - $2000

My god these prices are high :( Honestly, since the car will be so light, I'm really leaning toward the STI Brembo's.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Brakes for the L

Post by Mr Kleen »

From your chart the Wilwoods are $1000 cheaper and 32 lbs lighter, so they would get my vote.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

the stock sti clampers are heavy. if you want to minimize unsprung weight, i'd go with something else.

unless you can find a set of take-offs for cheap.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

You can always do the Subaru 4/2 pots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Actually, I needed to correct the Wilwood price... that was only for the fronts :( Price difference is $200 next to the OEM ones.

Complacent: I agree, but I actually worry about which would be able to dissipate heat better... is a heavier one better for this?

I seriously thought about going as cheap as I could... and then I remembered these things will be stopping me from stupid speeds.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Planning on 15" gravel wheels? Rallispec has brakes. Also...Outlaw makes a kit for MINI that fits 15" wheels but has extra thick rotors for heat capacity. Might be easy to adapt
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Back when the Subaru 4 pot / 2 pot brakes became available on the 06 WRX, Sport Compact Car did a test of them vs the STi Brembos and the results were surprising.
SCC took an 06 STi and an 06 WRX, put the same wheels and tires and same pads on them.
The 40 mph-0 and 60 mph-0 stopping distances were nearly the same with the Subaru 4 pot / 2 pot set-up being slightly better over the numerous runs. The testers attributed this to the lighter weight of the Subaru components. The 80-0 and 100-0 favored the Brembos, but again, only marginally. The Brembos did tend to fade a bit less, but the testers thought this might be mitigated by better pads, fluid, rotors and lines.

That said, if this is going to be a dedicated track car going bigger is usually better. At stopping anyway, the added weight to the rotors can also negatively affect braking as well as acceleration.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

KNS has a Stoptech kit.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Awesome, thanks Matt!

I actually need to pick a 2007+ STI for a car though since I'm replacing the hubs with 5x114 STI parts. Looks like they have a good price though :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

They have the same kits for 2005+ Sti's with 5X114.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Yep, sorry, I meant to mention that I had looked for that on that site and found it :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I have a pair of 2005 STi Brembo calipers.
The rotors are up to you.
I also have a set of Mitsubishi (manufacturer, not car) one pots with bracket and rotors.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears