Brakes...EXTRA EXTRA! Noob needs new b.pads

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

STiLe
I walk to work

Brakes...EXTRA EXTRA! Noob needs new b.pads

Post by STiLe »

Hello all!

I'm in the market for new break pads for my '06 STi and after skimming through the Suspension and Brakes posts I figured I'd ask for additional suggestions. I read that, Sabre, suggested "PORTERFIELDS" and, Hot Sam, suggested "HAWK HPS". The time of their posts was back in 2004 and being that it's now 2011 I'm assuming there is something better now, yes?

I want pads that leave less break dust then the OEM pads - filthy buggers - and have good stopping power.

Also - when I go to change the pads is it recommended that I change out the break fluid or not necessary? If so, is there a recommended type of break fluid?

Look forward to hearing from you guys, thanks for your time and let's go kick the sh*t out of Monday.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Brakes...EXTRA EXTRA! Noob needs new b.pads

Post by sirwilliam »

Hawk HPS pads and either motul RBF600 or ATE Super Blue(cheaper option and more than adequate for everyday daily driving use) brake fluid is what I run. Does what I need and doesn't dust too bad.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

aaron!

chuck and i both ran hawk hps pads on our 06 stis (chuck still might). great pads. dead quiet, a bit better stopping power, and they won't vomit up anywhere near as much brake dust as the stock pads.

you should take the opportunity to install stainless steel brake lines and better brake fluid. super blue or something.

http://www.fastwrx.com/hawkhpspads.html
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

chicken n waffles wrote:aaron!

chuck and i both ran hawk hps pads on our 06 stis (chuck still might). great pads. dead quiet, a bit better stopping power, and they won't vomit up anywhere near as much brake dust as the stock pads.

you should take the opportunity to install stainless steel brake lines and better brake fluid. super blue or something.

http://www.fastwrx.com/hawkhpspads.html
i was also happy with the hps pads i ran in my 05 sti. lines and fluid are nice as well. your wheels will be much happier.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
STiLe
I walk to work

Post by STiLe »

Thanks for the suggestions looks like I'll be ordering the HAWK HPS. In terms of the stainless steel break lines, is there a recommended vendor/brand for those or is it all the same and is that a swap I can do myself or is it better to go through a certified mechanic?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, looks like I'm coming in late, haha. The Porterfields that I run (I'm on my third set) are definitely much better pads than the stock ones, but they do cause a lot of brake dust :( The Hawks are better than stock and won't give you as much dust, so that's probably the ones you want to go for.

I highly recommend (as did the others) that you replace your brake lines and fluid at the same time. You will be shocked at the difference it makes. I still use Oakos for all of my brake needs. Here is the stuff you'll need:
Lines and speed bleeders
Super Blue Fluid
Hawk HPS Front Pads
Hawk HPS Rear Pads

I would give them a call... they might strike a deal with you since you're ordering it all at once :) Since you're new to all of this, feel free to post up when you're doing it and maybe we can help out! It's pretty easy once you've done it once.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

STiLe wrote:Thanks for the suggestions looks like I'll be ordering the HAWK HPS. In terms of the stainless steel break lines, is there a recommended vendor/brand for those or is it all the same and is that a swap I can do myself or is it better to go through a certified mechanic?
swapping brake fluid is pretty easy. you can either bleed them old school style (2 people) or use a bleeder kit.

http://www.scoobymods.com/bleeding-brak ... 95d6&t=182
-Ben
STiLe
I walk to work

Post by STiLe »

$360 Later I ordered all the materials you guys suggested Hawk HPS Front and Rear, Goodridge SS lines + Speed bleeder combo, and 1 bottle Super blue fluid. I could really use some assistance installing this stuff I'm pretty confident I can do the brake pads myself, but the lines and the bleeding I got no dukes. If anyone would like to assist I'd be forever greatful and will buy beer, famous daves, pizza, sushi, sake whatever your poison is so long as its legal it's yours =D. Please let me know if you're interested. Thanks again for all the welcomed suggestions.

STiLe (Aaron)
chicken n waffles

good luck! you'll love 'em.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Let us know when they come in and we'll arrange a good time :) Where abouts do you live? I'm in the Springfield area.

Congrats on the buy, you'll love the setup and wonder why you didn't do it first!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
STiLe
I walk to work

Post by STiLe »

I live in Falls Church, about two to three miles from Greevy's. I'm looking forward to these new parts the brakes aren't squealing, but I can definitely tell they're a bit worn down.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Ah, you're right in the middle of where most of us live. Just let us know when they come in :) It should take less than two hours... and that is with us taking our time :lol:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
STiLe
I walk to work

Post by STiLe »

Hey guys great news! Everything on the grocery list came in: the brakes the bleeders the lines and the fluid. If anyone is interested please let me know I'll provide beer, food, and of course my assistance as limited as my experience may be I'm pretty damn sure I can change the pads myself I just lack garage space and tools as I live in an apartment with limited storage space.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I'd lend a hand. I might need a ride.
What U do Saturday?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Saturday is out for me, but I can work on it with ya Sunday morning :) Brake pads are very easy on the STI. Literally two clips to pull, two bars and that is it.

Most of us have the tools to do this, so that is not a problem. Would you mind hiking to Springfield? If not, I can bring my tools with me on Sunday (providing Sunday works).
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
STiLe
I walk to work

Post by STiLe »

I can most definitely make a hike to Springfield on Sunday, and Zaxrex if you can do Sunday morning as well I can pick you up before I head over to Sabre's.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Let me know when you want to try to do this :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
STiLe
I walk to work

Post by STiLe »

Aside from today I can make time any weeknight or this weekend. I should have checked my box the night before but I was almost certain it was 11. Pardon me while I go commit seppuku to restore my lost honor.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

No worries man, we all know how that stuff goes :)

I might have time this weekend if you are going to be around.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
STiLe
I walk to work

Post by STiLe »

I'll be around. DiRT 3 comes out today so I'll be working on my fake Gymkana skills this weekend. Which by the way I guess i should make a separate post about. Would be cool to get a bunch of PS3 DiRT 3 DCAWD peeps playing Transporter (capture the flag) - that and time attack.
STiLe
I walk to work

Post by STiLe »

Hey guys/gals!

Tomorrow morning at 9am I'll be meeting with Sabre to install brake pad/lines on my car. If you're interested in lending a hand I'll lend my wallet and buy breakfast/coffee perform certain favors -I'm Filipino its kind of in the blood....(too soon?). I keed I keed, but yeah I would truly be in your debt. If you're interested let me know here and I'll pm you the address.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend with family/friends and if you or someone you know serves or has served in the Armed Forces you have my thanks as a fellow American and as a fellow veteran.

Regards,
STiLe
STiLe
I walk to work

Post by STiLe »

New brake setup is awesome! Thanks Julian, Colin, and Jason for the knowledge, assistance, guidance, and patience while we knocked it out.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

glad to hear you're liking it :) you and julian did the lion's share of the work though.

you also seemed to pick-up the art of the "mechanic's swear" pretty well too! :rolllaugh:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I have to admit though, I think that it's strange no one bleed... Someone always bleeds doing car work!

Glad you like the new setup!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
STiLe
I walk to work

Post by STiLe »

Haha, yeah I was trying to be well mannered with being around new people and all. I kept thinking of saying "FOR F-CK SAKES!" In the end the dark side took over and the F-bombs were strong with this one. Me: "F this is bull$h!T!" Vader: "Impressive." Me: "C-ck sucker mother f_cker" Vader: "Most Impressive..."