new struts for 04 WRX

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

new struts for 04 WRX

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'm doing some research on struts and I think I'm going to go with the KYB AGX units. I had them on my 2000 Si and they were great. one issue I'm having is that most web sites list their AGX's as "2002~2003 WRX" and I have an '04. is this really an issue?

that got me to thinking (yeah, I know, trouble ahead...) didn't the '05 WRX switch to an inverted strut? should I convert while I'm replacing the springs and shocks? what would be involved? is it worth the effort for a street car that only sees 1 track day and maybe 2 autoX a season?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I will tell you something, I have had a bad experience with the inverted struts. It's a VERY common problem to get "klunking" because of the lack of good lubrication (It's always very important to keep well lubed ;) This might only be on the STI struts though, aftermarkets might be ok.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Are the struts you are looking at made specifically for the 04 WRX? I ask because there are some small differences in the strut diameter from 02-03, 04. recall reading somewhere on nabisco about ppl having to use washers, etc to stop some klunking.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

yeah Colin, that's what I'm finding so far today... I wish TireRack was closer to the best price I've found, because I hate to call them up for info and then buy someplace else. the price difference is enough to purchase that Progress rear sway bar I've got my eye on... :?
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Do you want coil overs? I know someone looking to get rid of 1 maybe 2 sets.
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

only if they're in perfect shape and they're dirt cheep. :wink: :mrgreen:
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

he has ones with only 300mi on them, they are in great condition, although, he wants 1500 for that set, I"ll ask about the other set which might be from 1-1.5K
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I checked some on-line sources and it looks like KYBs part numbers only match-up to the 02-03 WRX. But I'm not certain that means they can't be used. I know the srings are deffinitely different from the 02/03 and the 04/05, but again, that doesn't mean they won't work. I'm shocked that they don't have a model speced for the 04-05. Here is a write up on a 04 WRX on nasioc with AGXs (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ht=AGX+WRX)

By the way, if your thinking of the Konis STOP! I have done strut inserts before and they are a major PITA! I would recommend you buy a finished set from Teagues (http://www.boxer4racing.com/wrxparts.htm) they have them for $829 minus a $200 core charge (you send them your old struts).