Forester Sway bars

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

matsuiseibu
I'm a n000b

Forester Sway bars

Post by matsuiseibu »

Looking to improve the handling of my newly purchased 2007 forester XT. New tires will be coming as soon as the winter season expires, but right now, am looking into some swaybar/endlink combos. Looked at both nastysock and forester.org, and i think i will be leaning towards some whilteline adjustable 22mm for front and rear. I assume i will be needing new endlinks as well.
Any recommendations on a F/R sway/endlink setup and local places to get install would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Forester Sway bars

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'm a fan of Kartboy endlinks, but I don't have a Forrester so I can't really comment on sways.
Sway/endlink installs are easier than changing oil. I wouldn't pay someone to do it. :wink:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

matsuiseibu wrote:Looking to improve the handling of my newly purchased 2007 forester XT. New tires will be coming as soon as the winter season expires, but right now, am looking into some swaybar/endlink combos. Looked at both nastysock and forester.org, and i think i will be leaning towards some whilteline adjustable 22mm for front and rear. I assume i will be needing new endlinks as well.
Any recommendations on a F/R sway/endlink setup and local places to get install would be appreciated.

Thanks
FWIW, I've had great results with the STI rear bar and Kartboy endlinks. The FXT has the same front bar as the STI already. Might save you some coin.

Then again, we swapped out for STI lateral links and stiffer bushings at the same time we did the rear bar. Which I also highly recommend.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Bushings, +1
Why spend the money and go through the hassle of bars and links when the squishy bushings kneecap your upgrades?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
matsuiseibu
I'm a n000b

Post by matsuiseibu »

complacent wrote:
matsuiseibu wrote:Looking to improve the handling of my newly purchased 2007 forester XT. New tires will be coming as soon as the winter season expires, but right now, am looking into some swaybar/endlink combos. Looked at both nastysock and forester.org, and i think i will be leaning towards some whilteline adjustable 22mm for front and rear. I assume i will be needing new endlinks as well.

Thanks
FWIW, I've had great results with the STI rear bar and Kartboy endlinks. The FXT has the same front bar as the STI already. Might save you some coin.

Then again, we swapped out for STI lateral links and stiffer bushings at the same time we did the rear bar. Which I also highly recommend.
Did you go with 04 or 05+ Sti lateral links? 05+s came with aluminum lateral links whereas 04 sti came equipped with heavier steel ones if i am not mistaken. Not sure how much difference between the two performance wise, but there is a considerable difference in price.
matsuiseibu
I'm a n000b

Post by matsuiseibu »

Mr Kleen wrote:I'm a fan of Kartboy endlinks, but I don't have a Forrester so I can't really comment on sways.
Sway/endlink installs are easier than changing oil. I wouldn't pay someone to do it. :wink:
No kidding! I have been calling up places and havent found a reputable shop to do it less than $89 each! Thats almost as much as i am looking to pay for the bars :notcool: . If anyone knows of a place cheaper than this, feel free to chime in. Unfortunately I dont have a floorjack and stands or ramps to complete the task at the moment. Right now Foz is sitting so high maybe I can just do it without the jack? That possible?
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

matsuiseibu wrote:
Mr Kleen wrote:I'm a fan of Kartboy endlinks, but I don't have a Forrester so I can't really comment on sways.
No kidding! I have been calling up places and havent found a reputable shop to do it less than $89 each! Thats almost as much as i am looking to pay for the bars :notcool: . If anyone knows of a place cheaper than this, feel free to chime in. Unfortunately I dont have a floorjack and stands or ramps to complete the task at the moment. Right now Foz is sitting so high maybe I can just do it without the jack? That possible?
not particularly, especially for the front. :( the bars are easiest to do when they're under zero tension (read: full droop) and that requires a jackstand in the middle.

just out of curiosity, what are you planning on doing for springs/struts? i ended up going with STI take-offs. very, very low drop, but amazing handling compared to stock.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
matsuiseibu
I'm a n000b

Post by matsuiseibu »

complacent wrote:
matsuiseibu wrote:
not particularly, especially for the front. :( the bars are easiest to do when they're under zero tension (read: full droop) and that requires a jackstand in the middle.

just out of curiosity, what are you planning on doing for springs/struts? i ended up going with STI take-offs. very, very low drop, but amazing handling compared to stock.
Looking into swifts or Gr-2s/swifts (if I can find a good price). I have a kid and although the Sti takeoff option would be great for performance, my little girl would end up as looking like a bobble head in her carseat.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

matsuiseibu wrote:
Looking into swifts or Gr-2s/swifts (if I can find a good price). I have a kid and although the Sti takeoff option would be great for performance, my little girl would end up as looking like a bobble head in her carseat.
you'd be surprised... the sti setup actually smooths out the ride. stock is definitely more "bouncy".
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
matsuiseibu
I'm a n000b

Post by matsuiseibu »

complacent wrote: you'd be surprised... the sti setup actually smooths out the ride. stock is definitely more "bouncy".
Sti takeoffs are tempting. After owning an 04 Sti previously, I am dying to mod this puppy with Sti parts. Immediately after purchasing the car, I was just about ready to pull the trigger on some 04 Sti takeoffs (w/only 25k miles!) before I thought of the consequences. My wife would kill me if the "comfort factor" suddenly disappeared from our one and only vehicle.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

I was really leaning toward STi takeoffs but ground clearance is necessary as I found out after my front lip spoiler was ripped off (stupid snow and ice! :censor: )from just being on swifts/GR-2s. I am running COBB Sways (w/ rear upgraded HD sway mount) with KB F&R endlinks. I would have just gone with the Whiteline sways if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the COBB F&R sway bars and you can't get the cobb anymore so it doesn't matter...haha. If I didn't care about the clearance, I would be all over some Sti takeoffs like Colin has on his forester. I also have some rear lateral link tab weldment supports that were custom made to help support the tab where the endlinks bolt onto the rear lateral links to help it from tearing off from using a beefier aftermarket bar...hope that last sentence made sense...haha.

I would talk to Jackie at Annapolis Subaru...she can get some pretty good deals on parts. I normally go to her for new parts if I don't have used parts lined up. :wink:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I have ramps, stands and a jack that I won't be using over the next month or so. If you want ti try your hand at it, you are free to borrow. You just have to help me change my O2 sensor in your covered, heated workspace in January. Easy, right?

If you are wanting to take it to a shop to do, Bilbo Automotive in Alexandria will install customer sourced aftermarket parts at a reasonable rate with top quality work. www.bilboautomotive.com 703.461.3118.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by captainslow »

Thanks
I think I know who this is... :nana:

You miss your old STi! You know a babyseat could fit in the back of one... Jk your Forester is a very nice car. I just know first it's suspension, next I'll hear that you're going Stage 3+. It's a slippery slope... :wink:

I'm not going to offer any advice for your sake. These guys know what they're talking about.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I'm not convinced the front sway is worth the cost and effort.
The rear will be a noticible difference, even at the lowest (if that is the correct decriptor) setting.
You will feel the dynamic change as vehicle will now actually "oversteer" if pushed.
If there is a deal on both sways and endlinks for both front and rear, go ahead and jump. But if you don't think you are ever going to push your FXT that much (think autocross or track) than it may not be worth the extra coin. My FXT does quite well with just an STi rear sway.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

matsuiseibu wrote:
complacent wrote: you'd be surprised... the sti setup actually smooths out the ride. stock is definitely more "bouncy".
Sti takeoffs are tempting. After owning an 04 Sti previously, I am dying to mod this puppy with Sti parts. Immediately after purchasing the car, I was just about ready to pull the trigger on some 04 Sti takeoffs (w/only 25k miles!) before I thought of the consequences. My wife would kill me if the "comfort factor" suddenly disappeared from our one and only vehicle.
haha, understood. the waf is important for all household decisions.

i had an 05 sti before my fxt... i understand. 8)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz