Help a guy out

Non-technical forum specific to Audi. Good example: Discussion of classic Audi's.

Moderator: Moderators

Stiletto
I'm a n000b

Help a guy out

Post by Stiletto »

I have a favor to ask all of you Audi folks. My buddy has an 01 S4. He's looking into getting some upgrades in brakes and suspension. I know enough about aftermarket parts to know what seems like a good deal, but I thought I'd ask here to get the real skinny. First, he's interested in ECS Tuning's stage 1 brakes. Essentially (to me anyhow), they look likes brakes from a Porsche 993. $700 for bigger brakes that also reduce unsprung weight seems sorta fair...if they're brand new. But are there any better options?

Also, Bilstein struts are a desired upgrade. He's rolling on the OEM parts and the car has 100k on it, so those dampners are kind worn. Are the Bilsteins worth the cash or is there something better out there?

Thanks for the help!
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Have him look at the DBA rotors, SS brake lines, ATF Super Blue Fluid and Porterfield or Hawk pads. That will probably come out pretty close $$$ wise and be just as good or better.

Someone else will probably chime in with suspension upgrades.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

If he just wants replacement struts and springs, then Eibach's Pro System is a fair deal at around $750. Nothing fancy, a bit lower and stiffer, but probably cheaper than replacing all the stock components.

If he wants coilovers and adjustability, there are much cheaper alternatives to the Bilsteins, like the Ksport Kontrol Pro set for ~$850, or a bigger chunk of change for Teins at around $1200, but for some high sex parts, the KW coilovers are ass kickers, but then you would be just about at $1500
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

I can tell you what I have learn from wrenching on these hateful cars. Hope you like to wrench because these cars don't like to be wrenched on.

$700 for stage 1? That looks like their stage 1 "rear" brakes. In the front I would actually keep the factory calipers (they rival that of the STi's) and just look into some two piece rotors, good fluid and some stainless lines. That will save you some weight. Unless you want to pay out for the bigger 993 or Cayenne calipers.

As for suspension I frequently ride in a 2000 S4 with Stasis Racing coilovers which are just rebadge Koni coilovers. They ride nice and handle great. Good price at right over $1k. Check this link:

http://www.stasisengineering.com/Catego ... =50&PID=76
Stiletto
I'm a n000b

Post by Stiletto »

This is the Stage 1 I was referring to: here
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I stick to my recommendation :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Stiletto
I'm a n000b

Post by Stiletto »

Yeah, I keep telling him to hold off on spending coin on the 2 piece rotors and just upgrade to the SS lines, get the alum. coilovers, buy the lighter aftermarket rims AND then see if unsprung weight is still an issue.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Konis are kool. Just ask DrWrx!
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

For suspension, I'd look into a Stasis StreetSport or the Vogtland GT kit from Startup Racing. Both have great reviews among the audi community.

I personally have the Stasis SS kit on my car.
- 2011 SWP WRX Hatch limited
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

zaxrex wrote:If he just wants replacement struts and springs, then Eibach's Pro System is a fair deal at around $750. Nothing fancy, a bit lower and stiffer, but probably cheaper than replacing all the stock components.
And don't overlook a bushing set. They're dirt cheap (except for your labor of course), and can make a huge difference on a car that's got some miles on it.
rocket scientist
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

labor for bushings can really run up a tab, but they do make a heck of a difference on an older car or a "luxury" car you want to firm up to sports car levels.