Ode to the RS6 Avant

Non-technical forum specific to Audi. Good example: Discussion of classic Audi's.

Moderator: Moderators

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Ode to the RS6 Avant

Post by complacent »

Oh mighty twin-turbo v10 wagon how i love thee, let me count the ways..

One!

Two!!

Three!!!

I believe the title of the third linky 'splains the concept better than anything else- The Devils own wagon.

Word. I want to have this cars' babies. No, seriously. I do. :on2me:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Yeah, the car is pretty damn sweet. In my top cars list. Funny how at the autoshows people were like the RS6 gets a TTV10 but the R8 gets a lousy V8 engine? I am pretty sure the newer R8 (if Audi still decides to continue the line) will have an engine upgrade. :wink: ...but, yes, RS6 Avant is berry sweet! :D
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

an R8 mule had a twin turbo. don't ask Audi how that turned out... :shock:
Last edited by Mr Kleen on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:a R8 mule had a twin turbo. don't ask Audi how that turned out how that turned out... :shock:
Back to the drawing board w/ you, AUDI! :lol:

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Now THERE is a wagon I would rock! Those are some unbelievable specs. Any idea how much one of these would set you back?
* 580-horsepower/480 lb-ft twin-turbo V10 TFSI
* 0-62 mph in 4.6 seconds, 0-124 mph in 14.9 seconds
* Top speed of 155 mph (electronically governed)
* quattro permanent four-wheel-drive
* Unique bodywork, interior trim
* Up to 58.6 cubic ft of cargo space
* Optional ceramic composite brakes
* 6-speed tiptronic
The ten-cylinder V-configuration engine in the RS 6 is based on the V10 powerplants of the Audi S6 and Audi S8, but has been redeveloped in practically every respect to attain the significantly higher level of performance. The twin turbochargers ensure an impressively constant stream of power over the entire engine speed range: the mighty peak torque of 650 Nm is available across the entire range from 1,500 to 6,250 rpm; maximum output is available between 6,250 and 6,700 rpm.

FSI direct injection delivers precisely metered amounts of fuel into the combustion chambers at a pressure of up to 120 bar. This permits a compression ratio of 10.5:1, which is very high for a turbo engine. Remarkably efficient combustion is the result. The engine is thus content with a standard consumption of 13.9 litres – a very good figure in view of the potential offered.

A further feature adopted from racing technology is the dry-sump lubrication system used on the V10. By virtue of the elaborate design of the oil pump module and oil tank, reliable lubrication of all engine components and both turbochargers is guaranteed, even with constant lateral acceleration of 1.2 g.

Thanks to FSI technology and the optimised design of the turbocharger and air ducts, the ten-cylinder unit is extremely responsive and converts minimum movements of the throttle into dynamic acceleration. Yet the twin turbo is by no means a rough-and-ready sports engine: it runs smoothly and with refinement, as is typical of a ten-cylinder unit. When accelerating, of course, its dual-branch exhaust system with two oval tailpipes produces that sonorous sporty, throaty sound – an essential feature of a high-performance automobile. Those who wish to enhance this daily delight for the ears even further may opt for the alternative sports exhaust system.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sabre wrote:Now THERE is a wagon I would rock! Those are some unbelievable specs. Any idea how much one of these would set you back?
I am assuming it will be six digit figures for price. The new S8 is ~$100k so I assume this would cost more.

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

babies. i want to have its babies.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

The specs for 0-60 and 0-124 are horrible unimpressive for the HP/TQ numbers it puts down :(
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Phibs wrote:The specs for 0-60 and 0-124 are horrible unimpressive for the HP/TQ numbers it puts down :(
Remember: it is an all-wheel-drive, mid-size German wagon. Read: HEAVY!! Those are damn good numbers for that class of vehicle. Also, consider that the new STI does 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. The RS6 is a larger, heavier car.

--Alan
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:
Phibs wrote:The specs for 0-60 and 0-124 are horrible unimpressive for the HP/TQ numbers it puts down :(
Remember: it is an all-wheel-drive, mid-size German wagon. Read: HEAVY!! Those are damn good numbers for that class of vehicle. Also, consider that the new STI does 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. The RS6 is a larger, heavier car.

--Alan
With a V10!!!!! Twin turbos.... and a LOT smoother power curve that hits WAY earlier... I think the numbers are understated ;)
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

uninlightened. that car is tits.

Big.

Jiggly.

Tits.

(Your same argument makes the STi look like a DOG compared to a turbo'd front-driver)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

ohhh, pretty
And I don't think the performance is all that bad for something that weighs 4,500 lbs, that like an F150...[/img]
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Look how long that compressor shaft is... say goodbye to aftermarket upgrades off the shelf.
And think about it, the lbs/hp is like 7.8 CLAIMED. they are saying that the power output is even more in reality.

A C-6 Corvette is like 7.9, so put that in your pipe!
Last edited by zaxrex on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Also, consider how early it's making power... those are SMALL turbo's for the size. Throw on some larger turbo's and hang on for dear life.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

zaxrex wrote:Look how long that compressor shaft is... say goodbye to aftermarket upgrades off the shelf.
Oh, there will be upgrades... with costs that are on par with the cars' price :( The nice thing is, it looks like they would be replaceable from the bottom of the car. Much easier than the early turbo'ed S4's
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

It's performance numbers are right in line with the M5 / E63. And while it is priced higher (as Audis always are), they will sell every one they make.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

http://www.autojunk.nl/clips/view/135934
don't mind the volvo commercial, the end of the clip makes up for it. Now that that is seaxeyy
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

ah yeah 4500lbs that'll do it. Definitely a beautiful piece of engineering.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

All I have to say is I love the plateau of torque! That has to be one crazy drivetrain to handle that.

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Hell yes I'd love to see that baby dyno'd. I think it has one hell of a .* btw to handle all that powah.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Think I like it better in blue vs. red.
Phibs wrote:Hell yes I'd love to see that baby dyno'd. I think it has one hell of a .* btw to handle all that powah.

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

mother of god that torque curve is beautiful!
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

*head assplode*
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote:*head assplode*
Yeah, peak torque from 1.5k-6.2krpms...that is just crazy nutso.

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

That's no curve, it's a friggin' table! You could place your beer on it and it wouldn't fall off, well, unless you stepped on the gas.