2017 Audi RS5 TDI Diesel

Non-technical forum specific to Audi. Good example: Discussion of classic Audi's.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

2017 Audi RS5 TDI Diesel

Post by Sabre »

Car and Driver

But a new sort of homogenization is underway. The Audi RS5 TDI prototype that we just flogged at the brand’s handling track at Neuburg an der Donau has managed to reset our notions of diesel engines. This 385-hp 3.0-liter V-6 TDI—still a prototype, but close to series production—has closed gaps with gasoline engines in areas where diesels used to be hopelessly outclassed.

As you might expect with 553 lb-ft arriving at just 1250 rpm, response at tip-in is brisk. From rest, the RS5 TDI charges forward without delay. In a drag race with a gasoline-fueled 553-hp RS6 Avant turbo V-8, the RS5 V-6 TDI held off the more powerful V-8 car for several car lengths. The TDI’s midrange response is also immediate, feeling like a high-performance, naturally aspirated gasoline engine, with none of the laziness and delay typical of turbo-diesels. This RS5 is surprisingly rev-happy, twisting the tach needle all the way to a relatively un-diesel-like 5500 rpm. We estimate the RS5 TDI’s sprint from zero to 60 mph will take about four seconds, with 100 mph arriving in around ten. Top speed is 174 mph, Audi claims. Despite these impressive numbers, the RS5’s 385-hp oil-burner is projected to use less fuel than the 313-hp version of the V-6 TDI it is based on.

Electric Supercharger
The key to the RS5 TDI’s performance and efficiency gains is a Valeo-supplied electric supercharger. It is positioned at the "cold side" of the intercooler and, thanks to a low-inertia rotor, capable of reacting within 100 milliseconds and revving to 70,000 rpm. It can blow at full blast independent of engine load and revs. This allows the engine’s twin turbos to be calibrated for maximum boost—up to 49.3 psi—and power. The leap to 385 horsepower at 4200 rpm is solely achieved by the turbos, not by the supercharger. And the TDI’s ample 553 lb-ft of maximum torque is available from 1250 to 2000 rpm. These figures mirror those of BMW's 381-hp, tri-turbo inline-six diesel, which is an impressive engine, but falls far short of this Audi mill in terms of responsiveness.

The electric supercharger requires a separate 48-volt power supply, and the conversion from the 12-volt system adds cost and complexity. Down the road, cost is expected to diminish as more electrical functions are integrated into a common 48-volt system.

Audi's own, seven-speed dual-clutch transmission would be the perfect companion for this ultrasporty diesel engine, but it lacks sufficient strength to handle the RS5 TDI’s torque. And so the RS5 TDI is fitted with the ZF 8HP eight-speed automatic, a quick-shifting and efficient unit that has become a benchmark among these types of gearboxes.

Lordy that sounds like a fun ride. I'm not thrilled about not having a stick or a dual clutch, but as far as automatics go, that ZF8 is about the best thing since sliced bread!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2017 Audi RS5 TDI Diesel

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

As always - outstanding car. But how much will it cost?
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

These are the sort of developments that make me love cars.
This car embodies numerous technologies that are changing the way we look at performance cars:
-Twin charger (ie super and turbocharger)
-Electric Supercharger
-High revving high power diesel. (Amazing level of torque is a given)

And yes, I second Alan's "cost" question.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Down the road, cost is expected to diminish as more electrical functions are integrated into a common 48-volt system.
Please tell me that other manufacturers are going to start using 48V systems. I would hate to see what an O2 sensor would cost that has to be made specifically for one platform.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

A bajillian dollars, lol
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

very, very cool tech.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Meh. I lost interest at 0-60 in 4.

:-O
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

ElZorro wrote:Meh. I lost interest at 0-60 in 4.

:-O
I'd be more interested in feeling the 30-60, 40-80 or 60-100.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Step 1: put NL plates on it
Step 2: tow this trailer:
super-long-tractor-trailer.jpg
Step 3: profit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

LOL, truth!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI