Here’s Why The V8 Audi S4 Is An Awful Used Car

Non-technical forum specific to Audi. Good example: Discussion of classic Audi's.

Moderator: Moderators

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Here’s Why The V8 Audi S4 Is An Awful Used Car

Post by ElZorro »

Just in case anyone happens to own an Audi in this age range...

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-a ... 9969940873
It happened about five months ago. I'm sitting around the house in my underwear, wondering how the hell Drew Carey puts up with all those aging Midwesterners who scream like an airplane-riding infant the second they win a bottle of Listerine. And I get a message from Jalopnik editorial fellow Chris Perkins.23

It's a picture of an Audi S4 parked on a Manhattan street. But this isn't just any Audi S4: it's an S4 Avant, the station wagon model. In Audi's beautiful Nogaro Blue color. With a stick shift. And a for sale sign on it.

For those of you who don't follow the world of high-performance Audis, a Nogaro Blue S4 Avant with a stick shift is rare. A unicorn, if you will. But finding one sitting randomly on the street with a "For Sale" sign is even more unbelievable. It's the automotive equivalent of a unicorn and Bigfoot and a space alien all sitting in one room, playing poker, and then the Loch Ness Monster walks in and gets a Royal Flush.4

"I thought you might be interested," Chris tells me.

In reality, very few things would interest me more. To me, a Nogaro Blue S4 Avant with a stick shift is up there with having the power to become invisible. And if I were invisible, one of the first things I would do is figure out who owns a Nogaro Blue S4 Avant, so I could steal it.

So anyway, I called the number on the "for sale" sign, and I spoke to the seller. It turned out the car had some small scuffs and scrapes, and a minor accident on the Carfax. Mileage was a little high, at 122,000. But the seller only wanted thirteen grand! For a 340-horsepower, all-wheel drive station wagon! In Audi's famous Nogaro Blue! WITH A STICK SHIFT!!! I called Chris and asked him to set up a test drive. As long as it moves under its own power, I told Chris, I want this car.

And then, that night, I went on the Audi forums and did a little research.

Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Here’s Why The V8 Audi S4 Is An Awful Used Car

Post by Mr Kleen »

The first thing I thought of when I read that article is "how difficult is an LS swap into an S4 Avant?" I'd want to keep the AWD if at all possible, but a RWD Audi Avant with the heart of a C7 wouldn't be a bad thing either.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

A question I have is ... did Audi realize they made a mistake and start making replacement parts that were of higher quality? That way, if the timing chain was ever replaced, you could at least count on the associated parts lasting the remaining life of the car. I'm guessing I already know the answer but just thought I'd throw the question out there.

--Alan
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i absolutely loved the writing style. i almost lost it when he wrote "To me, a Nogaro Blue S4 Avant with a stick shift is up there with having the power to become invisible."

damn shame about the maintenance issues. it's a beaut and a hoot.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Love Audi's, but that sucks! I remember hearing about turbo replacements requiring the engine to be pulled in other S4's. You'd think they would make them a little easier to work on!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.