Star Wars Fans Flee Net Galaxy

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Star Wars Fans Flee Net Galaxy

Post by Mr Kleen »

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101, ... tw=rss.TOP
Over the past month, countless longtime Galaxies players have quit playing the popular online take on the ubiquitous film franchise. Their grievance: a controversial, sweeping redesign of the structure of the game that they say has ruined the fun -- and made irrelevant the years of work they have invested into their in-game personas.
excellent article.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Yeah, good article...I don't know why they would do that to their diehard clients...maybe there weren't enough players to care...not sure but it still sucks.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I do feel bad for the people who are having a community that they built over a couple years taken away from them. however I can only feel so sorry for anybody who put much time into that flaming turd of a game. I was lucky enough to get into the beta (thanks Dude :wink:) and the character creation was the absolute best part of the game. it was all down hill from there...
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

About 75% of the people in my office building are addicted(and I do mean addicted) to World of Warcraft(WoW)...all they do is talk about it all day when they aren't working. Yeah, I was pretty big on the whole Warcraft series but didn't get around to the new (WoW)...plus it was $50-$100 for the game and then it is $15 dollars a month to play. I just don't have the time and I would rather spend that money on my suby. :wink:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I have to admit that I play WoW (when I'm not nursing a broken finger :roll:) but I'm not at the level of addict: I don't have the time to be a full blown addict! :lol:

WoW really got things right. I've tried several MMORPGs and it's far and away the best. now about that D&D Online beta test...
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I was on the alpha and beta for SWG, and played for about a year after release. What got me - constant major redesigns. Hey, we're changing the skill system this week... Hey, we're changing crafting this week... Hey, we're getting rid of some classes... WTF. They are trying really hard to find the magic that WoW has, and in the process they are going to piss off everyone. If SWG was a "Star Wars themed WoW" I'd pick SWG over WoW hands down.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

OPINION ALLERT!
I honestly don't think the Star Wars galaxy is a good setting for an MMO. it makes a great single player environment. [almost] everybody wants to be the Jedi/dark Jedi/master bounty hunter/whatever. this doesn't sync well with the realities of MMO type games.

that said, if the team that did WoW could work their magic in the SW galaxy I'd be more than happy to give it a shot. 8)