Experiment confirms quantum theory weirdness

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Experiment confirms quantum theory weirdness

Post by ElZorro »

http://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/exp ... -weirdness

Professor Truscott's team first trapped a collection of helium atoms in a suspended state known as a Bose-Einstein condensate, and then ejected them until there was only a single atom left.

The single atom was then dropped through a pair of counter-propagating laser beams, which formed a grating pattern that acted as crossroads in the same way a solid grating would scatter light.

A second light grating to recombine the paths was randomly added, which led to constructive or destructive interference as if the atom had travelled both paths. When the second light grating was not added, no interference was observed as if the atom chose only one path.

However, the random number determining whether the grating was added was only generated after the atom had passed through the crossroads.

If one chooses to believe that the atom really did take a particular path or paths then one has to accept that a future measurement is affecting the atom's past, said Truscott.

"The atoms did not travel from A to B. It was only when they were measured at the end of the journey that their wave-like or particle-like behavior was brought into existence," he said.

Ok, what occurred was "everything", and it wasn't until they measured it that they knew exactly what... am I missing something here, or isn't this exactly what they expect from quantum phenomena? This is essentially how a quantum computer is supposed to work, right?

I'm missing the so-what here. Maybe its just that a theory as old as me is right?
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Experiment confirms quantum theory weirdness

Post by complacent »

okay,i need to wrap my head around this.
"It proves that measurement is everything. At the quantum level, reality does not exist if you are not looking at it," said Associate Professor Andrew Truscott from the ANU Research School of Physics and Engineering.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

So what you are saying is that you want to experience total consciousness? Be the observer of all states while interaction in only one? Existence is infinite and nothing is created or destroyed?

Maybe those Eastern philosophers had the right kind of measurements after all.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I dunno why I'm having a hard time with this.

Reality doesn't exist if its not observed (at the quantum level). So what happens at the instant that something goes from not-yet-observed to been-observed? And how about things that are never observed directly, but are know through their interactions with observed things? The answers are clear at the big scale, but if the quantum world is that different then the connections between the two have to be crazy.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Another experiment to say we have very little clue in to quantum mechnaics. Out best guess is "Everything happens, but it only becomes a reality when we observe it."

If we ever do manage to merge quantum mechanics and Newtonian laws, I'll spend most of my life trying to figure out how we did it. Maybe we should just assume they work together, then look for it... it will just appear, right? :rolllaugh:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.