Mach V

Had an experience with a vendor in the last 2 years? Post it up!

Moderator: Moderators

captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Mach V

Post by captainslow »

You guys are probably already familiar with them but I didn't see the company listed here so thought I'd post something.

Mach V sells and installs parts for Subarus (WRXs and Legacys), Evos, Minis, and the DSMs. Employees are really nice, prices are good. I've always had a good experience with them. And I hear that they host a lot of track day events.

They're worth checking out if you haven't before.

http://www.fastwrx.com/
http://www.machevo.com/
http://www.machv.com/

45690 Elmwood Court, Suite 170
Sterling, Virginia, 20166
(571) 434-8333 voice
(571) 434-8334 fax
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Mach V

Post by sirwilliam »

Yes, they have some great people working there. Mike is a great mechanic who goes out of his way...one of a very limited few I will let work on my car.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
abhi
I'm a n000b

Post by abhi »

Are they a good shop for suspension related installs (springs/coilovers, sway bars etc.)?
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

yep....excellent for suspension too. Mach V is the only shop I trust these days. They've done suspension, alignments, oil changes, tire mounting (huge! deal since they know WTF they're doing), etc.

They even swapped the cylinder head (twice) on my MINI. Dan, Mike and Darren are good people. And, Matt running the counter now is nice too....he's a super nice guy
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

^^What they said. Dan has always been a stand up guy. The prices are not necessarily always the lowest but I try and buy as much as I can to help support our "local" guys. I will always reccomend them to anyone looking for a great shop.
Dan has helped me out quite a few times in a pinch and I will always have his back for this.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sadly, I have heard mixed reviews of the shop. A LOT of people seem very hesitant to talk badly about the shop since it endears itself to a lot of NASIOC'ers. It's an unspoken rule that shall never be broken!

Dan seems more interested in the bottom line than actually providing parts at a price to enthusiasts. I've heard very mixed reviews of his installation of various parts as well. Tire mounting and sway bars I would trust him with, but nothing else.

That being said, I have spent some time out on the track with the guy and he's very nice and knowledgeable. I get along great with him and his coworkers and it's always pleasant to see him out there.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

keep in mind its not Dan who's installing the parts. I always ask for Mike or Evan to do the work...I know they'll do it right. If something's not right, I've never seen Dan NOT try to make it so.

As for parts, he's up front about not being the cheapest guy in town. Parts is a whored business....he holds the line which he's entitled to do after being in business for a decade.

As for labor, I think its high compared to IAG for example. If its way out of whack, I'll talk to Mike and he nearly always tries to make it work. They don't want to lose business to another shop but also keep in mind, Mike's a level above the average tech so you've got to pay to play.

Let me also spell out.....all my kudos come after Dan moved to his current location. I had serious issues with things before....but, Dan wasn't employing his own techs; he was relying on Ultimate Motorsports to do it and you paid a premium rate and got second slot treatment. Ever since Dan moved out on his own and brought Mike along from Ultimate, they've both been focused on customer service on the labor side of the house and it shows.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Well, here is to hoping that a location change fixes any of their ills.

Many a year ago I gave them three separate chances, and none turned out with a successful service or purchase result. This was with counter kids or on the phone. Not with Dan, Mike, or Darren.

Seems like if you deal with one of the three people mentioned by name, things go well. Stick with what works the best, I guess.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote:Sadly, I have heard mixed reviews of the shop. A LOT of people seem very hesitant to talk badly about the shop since it endears itself to a lot of NASIOC'ers. It's an unspoken rule that shall never be broken!
a big +1. personally Dan is a fantastic guy, but I've heard a few horror stories that I believe 100%. however none of the "victims" will come forward in public because of the HUGE following he has.
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

I am bumping this thread because I was asked to share my experience with their online counterpart as it seems these guys are sacred to the NOVA community. I do not know these guys personally I can really care less if a shop is local or on the other side of the world but when I spend money for parts I want them in a timely manner or I want a explanantion up front of what my wait times will be because something is out of stock/backordered (basic business model stuff). I have ordered all kinds of things on the internet for cars; big, small, rare, cheap, you name it and never got the run around I have gotten from them. Julie ordered brake rotors from them over two months ago and after 3 weeks of the intial order she has had to call weekly to find out where they are. Each time they treated her like a dumb female and told her they had no information and a tracking number was not possible but promised "next week they will be at your house". After a few weeks of this I called them on my lunch break and once I gave them the name of who I was calling for and asked where they were they immediately apologized to me and had me a tracking number that night. I wasn't even rude or mad at them. Why was I treated differently than her wanting to know the same info? Somehow magically half of the order shipped that day and was at my house the next. I was told the other half was backordered and would be 2 weeks out. We will see if that holds true.

So to list the things that a business should never do:

1. Treat a female customer any differently than a male customer.
2. Sell products that are backorder and not make their customers aware on the website or via phone.
3. Don't give some random guy calling with just the original purchasers name the other persons tracking number and address with no proof they are who they say they are.

This is just my experience with this establishment and hopefully this won't happen to others. For every bad review there is a good review I am sure, but I will not be buying from them again.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
2011 F150 Lariat (Parts hauler)
1989 Ford Bronco (The other B***h)
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

if you want peace of mind, call Dan and talk to him. As a business owner, I know he'd like to hear about your experience and will bend over backwards to make it right.
psmwrx
I walk to work

Post by psmwrx »

Nope. Done with them. I shouldn't have to waist anymore of my time with that issue. Once the rest of my order comes in, that will be the end of my dealings with them.
2004 WRX Wagon (Project)
2011 F150 Lariat (Parts hauler)
1989 Ford Bronco (The other B***h)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Hope your order comes in quickly and correctly.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears