Lake Ridge Auto Care - Woodbridge

Had an experience with a vendor in the last 2 years? Post it up!

Moderator: Moderators

hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Lake Ridge Auto Care - Woodbridge

Post by hotsam »

I took my wife's Mazda3 to Lake Ridge Auto Care in Woodbridge for an oil change, tire rotation, and to have a wheel replaced (she hit something and the wheel was out of round...found a replacement on ebay for $55). I could do 2 of these jobs myself, but since having a baby I don't have the time anymore.

The bad: It took an hour and a half.

The good: They didn't charge me anything. They gave me all the services for free without even me asking. They had a new guy that they were training and he took too long, and they were very apologetic.

So, kudos to Lake Ridge Auto Care for making things right, even though I didn't complain (or even think about complaining anyway).

- Sam
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Right place at the right time. Hopefully, the new guy didn't bork anything that you won't find until later. :wink:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

Yeah, I actually had a good experience there recently too. Shawn bought a replacement wheel bearing for the MSP and they were the only place open on a Sunday who said they could press it out off the car. Got there, dropped it off w/ a quote of approx. $80, and then less than 1 hour later, got a phone call saying the whole knuckle was bad, but they wouldn't charge for the diagnosis. I thought at the time it might have been the boobies... ;) But, I definitely plan to go back to them in the future, like that emissions inspection that I need before the end of this month.
hotsam

Post by hotsam »

sirwilliam wrote:Right place at the right time. Hopefully, the new guy didn't bork anything that you won't find until later. :wink:
Well, they installed the oil filter incorrectly, which means my wife left a trail of oil all over Prince William county. Also, a couple of lug nuts have gone missing since they rotated our tires.

Looks like I'll have to start doing this stuff by myself.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

How the hell do you install the oil filter incorrectly?
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
hotsam

Post by hotsam »

Phibs wrote:How the hell do you install the oil filter incorrectly?
Mazda 3's have a cartridge filter. For some reason, they installed two gaskets when they should have only installed one.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mazda's and Volvo's I think are the only two that have cartridge type oil filters. Interesting idea, but I wonder why they chose to go that route.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
hotsam

Post by hotsam »

Sabre wrote:Mazda's and Volvo's I think are the only two that have cartridge type oil filters. Interesting idea, but I wonder why they chose to go that route.
I think BMW also uses them.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Ah wow interesting. Are they easier to install than a Subaru / standard type?
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

hotsam

Post by hotsam »

Awesome link :)

It's an 06 3s.
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

hotsam wrote:
Awesome link :)

It's an 06 3s.
If you look on the Mazda Forums, there's been a ridiculous amount of bitching about those filters ever since the 6 came out. Personally, I love the fact that our 3 cars all use the same oil and filters, regardless of age, engine or tranny. :D
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

hotsam wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:Right place at the right time. Hopefully, the new guy didn't bork anything that you won't find until later. :wink:
Looks like I'll have to start doing this stuff by myself.
Sorry to hear that...but see, you should ONLY do it yourself :wink:
Katya4me wrote:Personally, I love the fact that our 3 cars all use the same oil and filters, regardless of age, engine or tranny. :D
I concur...wait, you were talking about subarus, no?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

sirwilliam wrote:
Katya4me wrote:Personally, I love the fact that our 3 cars all use the same oil and filters, regardless of age, engine or tranny. :D
LOL
'90 Miata
'03 Protege5
'03 Mazdaspeed Protege

:D

I'd have to ask my mom or brother if they can use the same oil filter with her '99 Forester and his '05 92-X Aero. I don't think it is the same as my '93 Loyale used. :(
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Katya4me wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:
LOL
'90 Miata
'03 Protege5
'03 Mazdaspeed Protege

:D

I'd have to ask my mom or brother if they can use the same oil filter with her '99 Forester and his '05 92-X Aero. I don't think it is the same as my '93 Loyale used. :(
I just thought you were saying that the XT uses the same filter as the WRX as the WRX STi and so forth...I was a little out of it yesterday due to maybe 1 hour of sleep if even that.

Yeah, it is nice that when I change the oil on the car's over at my in law's house it is 2002 Civic LX, 2002 Civic EX, 2003 Accord LX, and 2003 Accord EX...all have 4cyl that use the same oil and filters. I don't like how the filters are unable to get out w/o leaking all over, though...not too bad but you have to wipe up afterwards.

hotsam

Re: Lake Ridge Auto Care - Woodbridge

Post by hotsam »

I went back to Lake Ridge Auto Care last night to get a quick oil change before I drive up to PA today.

They told me that one of my belts was damaged (it really was). The wanted to charge me $150 to replace both belts.

I got two Dayco belts for $28.35 and changed them in my driveway in about 20 minutes.

$150??
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

That does sound like a lot. But for a shop, it really doesn't surprise me too much. After all, they will charge you a little extra for the part (probably more than the ~$30 you paid) and then there's the labor charge - which would be charged in half-hour increments (or maybe even minimum of one hour?). A lot of shops are pushing $90-$100/hour in labor charges (outrageous IMHO but they are doing it). With taxes and disposal fees the $150 sounds about right.

--Alan
hotsam

Post by hotsam »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:That does sound like a lot. But for a shop, it really doesn't surprise me too much. After all, they will charge you a little extra for the part (probably more than the ~$30 you paid) and then there's the labor charge - which would be charged in half-hour increments (or maybe even minimum of one hour?). A lot of shops are pushing $90-$100/hour in labor charges (outrageous IMHO but they are doing it). With taxes and disposal fees the $150 sounds about right.

--Alan
Yeah, good points.