Beware of Deadbolt and their warranties

Had an experience with a vendor in the last 2 years? Post it up!

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Beware of Deadbolt and their warranties

Post by sirwilliam »

My buddy has to get a new engine as his newly rebuilt (by Deadbolt for a hefty fee) 16G has blown again and destroyed his engine.

His post:

As you guys maybe heard (I posted in a local forum only I think) that #$%^& 16G blown again on me. This time the whole compressor wheel broke off. I replaced it with a stock turbo but the car continued blowing tons of white smoke when revving. Looks like particles of the broken wheel found their way into the engine. The car is at the dealership and has to be tested before I know the real reason. But the mechanic said that I most likely need a new shortblock.

Deadbolt on the other hand is asking for the compression test results as they are saying that it is my engine that keeps braking their turbo. IMO it's BS as it was BS last time. But now since most likely the compression/wet test results will be bad I won't be able to prove antything. Deadbolt's warranty is a joke.

I can get more details if necessary. This is one to many strikes for Deadbolt in my book w/ things happening to people I know...especially the necessity for a new block after running their turbos...coincidence, I don't think so.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Well, I can tell you that I spun a bearing in my engine and that is the reason the turbo went bye bye. Seems really strange that the compressor wheel would just fall off, but stranger things have happend!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

sabre wrote:Well, I can tell you that I spun a bearing in my engine and that is the reason the turbo went bye bye. Seems really strange that the compressor wheel would just fall off, but stranger things have happend!
Bad oil maintenance, and overspeeding the turbo. Two easy ways to do that.
rocket scientist
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Well, I can attest that his oil was changed frequently enough, but no amount of changing will save you from an oil pump that dies.

And turbo spinning at low RPMs w/o oil does just as much damage as over-spinning. the results are the same, but the precursor activities are different.

How's your oil pump working?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

zaxrex wrote:Well, I can attest that his oil was changed frequently enough, but no amount of changing will save you from an oil pump that dies.

And turbo spinning at low RPMs w/o oil does just as much damage as over-spinning. the results are the same, but the precursor activities are different.

How's your oil pump working?
He was talking about the compressor wheel falling off, not my turbo/engine going bye bye (atleast, I think he was!).

Looks like the spun bearing was the initial cause of my problems. From that point on, the chards got into the oil which ruined the oil pump and turbo. It also did a number on my heads. Pretty amazing how fast things like that can happen.

BTW, for the record, I'm a maniac keeping my oil changed. It was changed two days before the Redline TimeAttack when my engine/turbo went.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.