merchants tire in reston

Had an experience with a vendor in the last 2 years? Post it up!

Moderator: Moderators

spazegun2213
teh Spaz

merchants tire in reston

Post by spazegun2213 »

So I went there for an alignment for my car and an oil change for my mothers tahoe. They would not align to my specs (no big deal) so we just get the oil changed there.

on the way home i noticed that when my dad got hard on the gas there was oil burning. We get home and there is a steady leak of oil :(

they are sending a tow truck now for it....
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

!!!
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

You took your STI to a merchants tire? :roll: ...you are just going to have to learn the hard way, I guess. That sucks.

I will offer you some good sound advice: always do the oil change yourself unless you completely have 100% faith in the person you are taking it to.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

sirwilliam wrote:You took your STI to a merchants tire? :roll:
spaz wrote:mothers tahoe
How did we do on the reading comprehension portion of the SAT's? :) But yea, situation certainly sucks, no matter what vehicle.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Ouch! VP has a snake bite ;)

Sorry to hear Ross. Hopefully no damage was done (very doubtful there was any).
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Ditto

Post by Phibs »

I've also never had good luck at Merchants. ( Only took my wife's Jetta there, no way in hell is my STi ever going there )
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I've never been to the Merchant's in Reston, but I'll provide this review of the Merchant's in Burtonsville (in the AutoPark on Briggs Chaney Rd):

Several months ago I needed new tires. One tire was punctured and the plug had failed. So basically, I could use an emergency pump and get a few miles before the thing was dead flat again.

So, onto TireRack.com I go and order up a new set of tires (the others I had on the car were wearing thin so it was just time to do them all). And lo and behold, Tire Rack lists the Merchant's in my town as a certified installer! What marvelous luck! I can have the tires shipped there and then make the short trip for the install without unduly endangering myself and everyone else on the road by driving on a completely flat tire.

One, two, three ... tires delivered / installed / everyone's happy. Until a few weeks ago when I decided I really needed to clean at least my wheels (inside and out) if I couldn't clean my whole car. Break out the tire wrench and *UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!***** WTH? Change my grip on the wrench and *UUUGGGAAAARRRRHHHHHH!!!!!** The damn lug nuts won't budge!!

Time to take advantage of having a Harbor Freight nearby. I bought a torque wrench, a breaker bar, and some sockets.

Back to the car - using the torque wrench I determine that the lug nuts were torqued to 115 - 120 ft-lbs!!!! Best I can tell from searching through NAS**C, Subaru lug nuts should be between 70 and 80 ft-lbs. WTF?!?!

So using the breaker bar and torque wrench I cracked all the nuts (I know that's gonna be added to the quote page) and re-torqued them to the correct setting.

In conclusion - all Merchant's suck.

CN: Merchants in Burtonsville over-torqued my lug nuts to 115-120 ft-lbs! Damn bastards!

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I usually hear 100ft-lbs, but 115 is definitely over doing it!

Oh ya, and that will be added in 3... 2... 1... to the quotes page...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

holy torque overkill, Batman!